Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Man we were really sucked into the hype after the Port game lol. Perhaps a false sense of security...?

Maybe it was more them putting in a typical PF performance under Hinkley. Their gruelling SF was their Grand Final. Eventually the damn wall broke. Dont get me wrong, we still had to turn up but Port was shocking. I mean they let our 3 tall forwards off the leash which was a rarity even this season. They were getting wide open on the lead.

We played like that rough 5 week stretch of the season instead.

I had an absolute peanut in front of me yesterday, was as close as I have come to reaching out and putting one on his chin, was a rare dickhead Lions supporter and had absolutely no class.
I went to the 96 Prelim with a friend. We had an Essendon supporter sitting in front of us who was exactly the same as the Lions supporter you encountered. More than once when Essendon were looking good he glanced back at us and smiled.

At the end of the game, he made the mistake of glancing back at us again. We smiled. :)

Oh well… It is what it is and at least we are experienced with this so it wasn’t totally alien. I hope you all look after themselves, particularly if you are taking this hard……in time will just see the dark humour in this and laugh at the impending memes coming.

I think like everybody here I was apprehensive before the game with 2022 being in my mind, Rampes pre match presser was eroding my previous confidence, then after the first two goals thought this might be turning out okay only to be back at the bar earlier than I was meant to seeing it happening all over again.

Thank God I was there in 05 and 12.

Cheer Cheer

I had an absolute peanut in front of me yesterday, was as close as I have come to reaching out and putting one on his chin, was a rare dickhead Lions supporter and had absolutely no class.
There was a scuffle behind me in the last qtr. Not sure what started it, but then saw a Swans fan (presumably) throw a Lions beanie over the fence and its owner clocked him. Swans fan went back at him, but luckily other fans intervened. Not sure of the aftermath.

Morons both of them.

At the end of the 3rd quarter I had to go into a "respect in the workplace" training course and I was happy to go into it rather than subject myself to the 4th quarter.
Putting a training course on when the GF is in progress shows a distinct lack of “respect in the workplace”.

We shouldn't be pleased with "thank god we won a flag 12 years ago"

12 years ago is an eternity now.
You kidding? I am, I am pleased I have seen two in my lifetime. All of our failings since will never erode that.

Well, I guess we are the team that lost to Richmond.

Not to mention 112 points to Port.

Mrs DQ was right - pre game she said we are capable of shockers when the opposition is “up for it”.
Mrs Q gets it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question time - are we a Gun side that is poorly coached or a poor side that is coached really well? The GF losses tell me its a coaching issue.. you cant make a GF without playing well throughout the H&A but constantly shitting the bed on GF day tells me the boys are receiving poor instruction on game day.

Neither. We have some gun players, but also quite a few deficiencies right around the ground. Our forward line is dysfunctional and average. The high scoring midfield covers for this when we’re on, but it all falls apart when the mids are negated. We don’t have anyone up forward to take contested marks or even keep it locked in there for any length of time. McDonald in particular is a massive disappointment.

We have a Rolls Royce midfield but are missing that in and under clearance beast. Parker is old and Adams isn’t it. There’s also an emerging problem in the ruck. Grundy blows hot and cold but gets beaten by journeymen far too often for comfort. I think he’s been quite mediocre for a while now.

In defence, we’re missing a gun KPD or a Harris Andrews type to complement and eventually replace Rampe. McCartin is barely good enough and you never know which Blakey will turn up. When he plays bad, he stinks up the whole place. Melican is a positive. He’s turned into a consistent and reliable defender, but he needs much more help, especially when Rampe plays like he did yesterday..

Brisbane are genuinely better than us at the moment. They have everything we lack in terms of key positions. Like I said yesterday, their poor start to the season distorted the ladder. but they were always the real deal. It’s not a surprise they won. It’s a shame they had it so easy, but it was always going to be an uphill battle for us.

Last edited:
Someone like Christian Petracca is what we may need in the midfield. But we can only dream of getting him though.

Neither. We have some gun players, but also quite a few deficiencies right around the ground. Our forward line is dysfunctional and average. The high scoring midfield covers for this when we’re on, but it all falls apart when the mids are negated. We don’t have anyone up forward to take contested marks or even keep it locked in there for any length of time. McDonald in particular is a massive disappointment.

We have a Rolls Royce midfield but are missing that in and under clearance beast. Parker is old and Adams isn’t it. There’s also an emerging problem in the ruck. Grundy blows hot and cold but gets beaten by journeymen far too often for comfort. I think he’s been quite mediocre for a while now.

In defence, we’re missing a gun KPD or a Harris Andrews type to complement and eventually replace Rampe. McCartin is barely good enough and you never know which Blakey will turn up. When he plays bad, he stinks up the whole place. Melican is a positive. He’s turned into a consistent and reliable defender, but he needs much more help, especially when Rampe plays like he did yesterday..

Brisbane are genuinely better than us at the moment. They have everything we lack in terms of key positions. Like I said yesterday, their poor start to the season distorted the ladder. but they were always the real deal. It’s not a surprise they won. It’s a shame they had it so easy yesterday, but it was always going to be an uphill battle for us.

Brisbane were basically done in the semi. Not downplaying their list at all , it is great, but even the best side to the last isn't a massive gap in talent , well not as big as we think.

Sometimes it's mental fortitude , gameplan, toughness , and belief and they knew they had us and knew they could win anywhere .

We knew we could make a granny and see what happens

I may come across as negative in our Game Day threads (and probably now too... consider this fair warning, friends) but only because I love this club and have high expectations of our team - and why not? we've been an incredibly consistent team that constantly gets itself into positions to win the premiership.

This feels like a real club-defining moment - lick our wounds, shield the team/players from criticism, write-off yesterday as (another) unswanslike aberration from what was a largely successful season?

Or acknowledge another shocking onfield performance in the biggest game of the year, several absolute thumpings throughout the season. I can't just write-off another performance like that as a team that was there too early (e.g. 2022) or just a blemish.

Some thoughts on the way forward... nothing I'm sure that hasn't already been mentioned.

Coaching
  • I do not want to see Rampe (or any other veteran) pivot into any coaching role at the side. We need fresh ideas, fresh voices. I understand that convincing Assistants to move interstate is a challenge
  • Reinforce selection integrity. Don't allow players to waltz back into the firsts.... McInerneys, Mills, etc. Reward reserves players, demonstrate that there is actually a pathway to the first team.
And lastly, I think John should move on. Given the keys to a young and talented list... Parker, Hanners, Kennedy...
Brought in Tippett and Franklin. Now, has had the opportunity to build his best 22 from scratch. Have been critical of him for many years. Was genuinely surprised that . A good player manager and advocate for Non-Vic teams but I think it's his time. Made jokes about his stubborness which

Talls
Get rid of the three tall structure. None of HMac, Amartey or LMac are contested markers - I would be more forgiving if we had a true target man like a Tom Lynch, with a prime Sam Reid as his foil. Zero forward pressure. It's been a constant through Horse's tenure, but importantly the game has changed IMO and we need to give pressure. HMac

Mids
Perhaps me being reactive, but do the boys/coaches just feel like Rowey is a dedicated pressure/contest player and therefore we can have a Chad or Errol sitting on the outside waiting for the receive. Do we think his pressure alone can make-up for a lack of pressure from our other on-ballers? Should a player be priding themselves on tackles and pressure acts alone? Similarly, should a player be flirting post-match about increasing theri TOG and ultimately staying on the ground (in the mids) for a whole game (Errol)? Lots of AA jackets in this part of the ground, but hardly an uncompromising, tough and cohesive unit.

Backs
Definitely in need of a big gorilla (can that be Melican?), a young marking third-tall and some more true-medium defenders, and not makeshift HBFs. Defenders looked bad yesterday. No doubt about it.

But I will temper that by saying I saw a very talented backline in Grundy, Richards, Malceski, McVeigh and Shaw look pretty ordinary in the 2014 GF when another equally vaunted swans mins group go MIA.

Drafting/Trading
  • Bring in a couple mature bodies for the reserves that can come in and play a role.
  • Nail our first/second round picks. Yes, easier said then done but inability to nail our Top 5 picks particularly is a real concern.... Ling, Stephens....
  • Would love a Kennedy-sized mid with a big frame.
  • Move on a best 22 player... an Ollie, McLean. Do I think getting rid of a non-star will fix our issues? No. Do I think we need to send a message that this club isn't just about playing with your best mates? yes. Does Chad want to be here long-term? Do we maximise his value now?

Off/Pre-Season
  • Get the Lads in the gym. Looked small once again. Rayner and Neale just bullocked their way through, just like Danger two years prior.
Offered GF tickets this year and declined. It's a real shame that I (and many others) know the script and would rather watch the GF from the confines of our home.

Someone like Christian Petracca is what we may need in the midfield. But we can only dream of getting him though.

Yep, a power mid who can burst out of stoppages would be perfect, but I would happily accept prime Clayton Oliver too, though who knows if we will ever see him in his prime again. That sort of player though, someone who can stand up and dominate the clearances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back