Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve stayed away from all boards in the last 2 days, my mental health is all the better because of it. But then I visited my cousin yesterday , who I grew up next door to, who is dying with MND, he’s a mad swans fan, and he smiled and said ‘they’ll live to fight another day and they’ll do it eventually”. Made it seem a lot less important in the greater scheme of things.
Whilst watching the game, it was like watching a public breakdown. I don’t know what the reason is, I don’t think because they were cocky, it might’ve been the level of expectation that was overwhelming, the secret that our star players had injuries ? So many questions and I doubt we’ll get any answers (the people wanting personal letters of explanation were pretty amusing)

BUT also let’s give credit where credit is due, Brisbane really wanted it more.

I’ve also just read various people saying the bloods culture is dead. The main instigator of that “bloods culture” was Brett Kirk, yet he’s still there, he’s running onto the field all the time, so where’s it gone? if in fact did it ever exist?, was it all PR hype?unless any of us are entrenched with in the 4 walls of the club how do we know?

I’ve always defended Longmire, As the Lovely King and I have sparred on in the past, I don’t know if that’s the answer, it might be, are there too many hangers on putting their 10cents worth in causing confusion. You’ve got so many different coaches, whilst we all hope they are on the same page, there has to be difference’s of opinion, they’ve all got pretty healthy egos. Anyway I’m rambling.

The plus side, other friends went to the granny and despite the loss said it was the most enjoyable they’d attended as they didn’t feel they had to worry their public safety, such as getting out of the MCG alive, the Lions supporters were, by and large, terrific to be amongst.
Too many players that cared more about the fancy gear they've received from Sponsors and promoting it on Social Media (their Brand), then to put their body on the line to win the ground, hard ball in a Grand Final. That is one of my observations.

Clear that the Lions wanted it more than the Swans. Coaching staff down to the sub.

I am going on sorry my way of processing so maybe all block me

But i just can't believe we suddenly are too weak or not hard enough or the talls are just pathetic . They aren't stars but they can play.

Like we aren't that ****ing non competitive bad. Brisbane limped through other finals too etc , it's something about the ****ing grand final and the day . That's why i think us banging on about prep being spot on shits me

I am going on sorry my way of processing so maybe all block me

But i just can't believe we suddenly are too weak or not hard enough or the talls are just pathetic . They aren't stars but they can play.

Like we aren't that ****ing non competitive bad. Brisbane limped through other finals too etc , it's something about the ****ing grand final and the day . That's why i think us banging on about prep being spot on shits me
Horse said in his presser that it wasn't him but the club. There must be something to it. I'm not convinced Horse is the sole reason

The Lions have shown themselves on bigfooty and in person at the G to be a magnificent fan base, that was before the game too.

Stings to lose but at least to see a generally classy group of people happy is something I guess.

The people from Brisbane at the airport showed how loved their club is now up there too.
It certainly softens the blow. At the pub there a group of lads who were thinking of driving through to Melbourne to get tickets, got as far as Goulburn and thought “if we don’t have them now we won’t get them” so they stayed the weekend in town, what a lovely bunch of boys they were. At half time I’d bought a cocktail they were razzing me about it, my response “ well if my team is going to get smashed I may as well get plastered” we all chatted and had a terrific time. When the game was over one of the boys bought me another cocktail and pinched the flowers off a table inside the pub to give me. They were all crying seeing Fages - they cuddled anyone who’d let them. So in all it was quite a tolerable day. Love to you all, see you next year xxx

Horse said in his presser that it wasn't him but the club. There must be something to it. I'm not convinced Horse is the sole reason

It's a whole club thing clearly, but you can't as a rule keep the coach and just change all the players. You can give the players a fresh voice - rightly or wrongly.

I didn't want to bring it up, but do others think the Sam Wicks saga early on in the year is still impacting the cohesion of the playing group? I know Brissy had a similar issue in the off-season but they all came clean as a playing group, out in the open today start a clean-slate.
Don’t think so. Our issues are totally different

It's a whole club thing clearly, but you can't as a rule keep the coach and just change all the players. You can give the players a fresh voice - rightly or wrongly.
It’s going to be interesting to see what comes of it, will there be major change? Let’s watch the shenanigans begin!!

I dunno, I feel like if we're around the mark we'll get there sooner than later
I think the club has this same attitude and it's dead wrong. The universe isn't going to just give you a premiership because you hang around, you have to take it. This line of thinking means that your real goal becomes "make the grand final" with the assumption that the rest will take care of itself.

I didn't want to bring it up, but do others think the Sam Wicks saga early on in the year is still impacting the cohesion of the playing group? I know Brissy had a similar issue in the off-season but they all came clean as a playing group, out in the open to start a clean-slate.
I'd say no possible chance of that. If that was the case we wouldn't have made it there

Even on my run this morning all I can think about was Saturday, letting out frustration on here is the only thing keeping me sane. Even if I'm just yelling into the void. I think those with the positive mindset of things will be just fine(be a real fan types) aren't helping things. There's a problem that needs fixing. All we can do is hope is the club knows there is too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't want to bring it up, but do others think the Sam Wicks saga early on in the year is still impacting the cohesion of the playing group? I know Brissy had a similar issue in the off-season but they all came clean as a playing group, out in the open to start a clean-slate.
No. This is a consistent persistent issue - what I would call experienced players failed to perform on the Big Stage and have consistently failed to do so. Blakey looked wide eyed with fear when he walked onto the ground.

I think the club has this same attitude and it's dead wrong. The universe isn't going to just give you a premiership because you hang around, you have to take it. This line of thinking means that your real goal becomes "make the grand final" with the assumption that the rest will take care of itself.
History shows the club is right. 2 premierships in 20yrs is more than most of the clubs in the league

No. This is a consistent persistent issue - what I would call experienced players failed to perform on the Big Stage and have consistently failed to do so. Blakey looked wide eyed with fear when he walked onto the ground.

I was going to say, they did look absolutely terrified walking onto the MCG.

There was a time when we would play poorly, absorb, and only be 4-5 goals down at HT. This current group just capitulates on the scoreboard so easily. We were 7 points down 1/4 of the way through the second qtr and go into HT just shy of 50 down....shameful.
Pre-game I was actually confident if we were with them midway through the 2nd qtr (which we were) we'd run over them, but watching the game it was very different...you could tell even when we were keeping pace with them on the scoreboard we were in one of our 'shit the bed' moods and that we would get flogged.

The gap between our best and worst in unfathomable, it's genuinely 'best the league football' to 'wooden spoon level' football. In 3 years with this group that gap just hasn't closed.

The list is talented but I'm concerned about what this does mentally. That bloody soft underbelly is the biggest issue.
From a personnel point of view the defence really was a weak link all year, the mids protected it well most of the time, but as soon as that defence needs to stand on it's own 2 feet for a bit it crumbles. A lot of what we do in the offseason needs to be about fixing up that defence.
It’s fascinating how much the Swans have reversed from not too long ago.

We used to be tough, hard and disciplined - and while we would not often score a lot, it was very rare for our opponents to much ahead, so we were always in the game.

Now we are fast and talented - and while we let our opponents score a fair amount and build big leads, we can score quickly and so are rarely out of the game (GFs aside).

Botha sets of teams rarely say die (before anyone challenges me on this, there were some truly shocking games earlier this century as well - and in the last GF at least, the boys kept trying to the end and I suspect won the final quarter, though I wasn’t keeping track of the score by then).

I think one approach is clearly better for finals footy though. A balance is best. We need to work at that.

I’m not ashamed to say that I left the ground about five minutes before the final siren. I couldn’t stomach anymore of the crap I was watching and was in no mood to suffer the Lions celebrations.

However, what I was absolutely astonished by was the large number of Brisbane supporters who left at the same time as me and, indeed, before me (I could see them walking off in the distance). Just amazing that they didn’t want to be around at the end and immerse themselves in the celebrations!

Rebuilds don't always build success. They can lead to just more failure.

Saints, Port, Crows, North have all had significant rebuilds and gotten nothing. That Saints team was loaded full of talent.

That Saints team was at least competitive against one of the great Geelong sides in their prime! and unlucky against a rampaging Collingwood side in 2010 and then had nothing left in the tank for the replay.

Fremantle showed great fight against a great Hawthorn side in 2013 after starting 25-0, say what you want about Ross Lyon but at least he has gotten them competitive at the final dance.

A very stark difference

That Saints team was at least competitive against one of the great Geelong sides in their prime! and unlucky against a rampaging Collingwood side in 2010 and then had nothing left in the tank for the replay.

Fremantle showed great fight against a great Hawthorn side in 2013 after starting 25-0, say what you want about Ross Lyon but at least he has gotten them competitive at the final dance.

A very stark difference
Yes, we have 2 premierships and they dont

Maybe that was the problem. By playing mediocre (rather than dreadful) football in the first quarter the team became disoriented and weren’t sure what to do next.
I'd really love to know what the messaging was in the huddle at quarter time.

Was it something along the lines of "We are playing okay, we are in this, keep on keeping on" or was it "you are bloody lucky you aren't 4 goals down already, we need to reset and get stuck in".

I know which of those two is in my mind the $1.05 very warm favourite, especially with the way we fell apart in the second quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back