Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like the club to issue a statement from the players along the lines of;

We realise we left ourselves, the club and our supporters down on the weekend.
Together we will review the GF and the season as a whole and seek to understand our failings and how we can improve going forward
We cannot let this performances define the club or our legacy as players
We understand actions speak louder than words and we hope and expect to show all our supporters a team they can be proud of in the seasons to come.

Accept responsibility, accept the failure, seek to understand the issues, address those issues, implement change
Not easy to do, particularly publicly, but if they don't I fear history will repeat.

Do I expect it to happen?
NO
Only bit missing (words to this effect) is 'we realise the only way to truly make it up to our supporters is to go one step further and win the Premiership.

We know how hard that is to do of course. But it would remove any doubt about what the ultimate aim really is....

the
Only bit missing (words to this effect) is 'we realise the only way to truly make it up to our supporters is to go one step further and win the Premiership.

We know how hard that is to do of course. But it would remove any doubt about what the ultimate aim really is....

And piss off the crap bring the thunder slogans and all that shit and focus on redemption and embrace that we are targeting a flag

I think sometimes a game can be summed up with an image.

In 2022 when we went down to the MCG and beat the then-top of the table Melbourne, our pressure that night was just out of this world. I remember saving this picture I saw from that game. It was just so cool - Petracca, surrounded on all sides by Swans, about to get swarmed on, as he was all night that night.

View attachment 2128257

I saw this image from Saturday and it was quite striking, for one simple reason: WHERE ARE ALL THE SWANS?!

View attachment 2128258
You know both teams in an AFL game have 18 players, right?

Surely our coaches would've played out various scenarios including "what if the zone is not working" and "what if the Lions are not turning it over". Maybe send the message to go man on man, get an extra at the contest, move some magnets around etc

It just seemed like it was zone or bust.
Did we go all zone heavy against them in the H&A game? I can’t recall that being the observation. If not, why change? We played well in that game.

Did we go all zone heavy against them in the H&A game? I can’t recall that being the observation. If not, why change? We played well in that game.
I was at the game and we did zone. We allowed them to move the ball out of their D50 freely but I think their error rate was higher that day. As well, our mids did work harder.

Gonna play devil's advocate here. I don't think we should judge the players' actions - or inactions - on social media. Some literally just don't use their social medias. I'm quite an active browser on Instagram, but I haven't made a post since January of 2023. It would therefore be a weird and unnatural choice of platform if I ever wanted to make some serious statement to my friends and family.

I also think there's a good chance the players are torn between wanting to acknowledge what happened and wanting to move on from it for their own wellbeing. It's easy to forget that their dreams were crushed as well as ours. For most of them it's not the first time either.

Finally, I'd argue that they don't owe us anything. Their punishment was being out on the MCG in front of millions, watching their opponents celebrating a win whilst having to remain dignified. They couldn't run to the bar to drown their sorrows like the fans could. They couldn't scream that their coaches and teammates are a ****ing joke out of frustration like the fans could at their TVs. They couldn't just turn the game off and walk away like the fans could. They had to live every excruciating second of it, and then get dressed up to attend a function that is for the fans and the sponsors and put on brave faces. And then spend every day from here on out for months and months reliving that day, and being reminded of it in every interview and press conference they'll do.

So it's not like they let us down and then get to just get away with it and wipe the slate clean. Give em a break I say.

I mean if I were Callum Mills, how hard as skipper of the team is it to take 5 minutes to chuck something on insta saying what a hard year he had, it sucked to miss so much, but he will train his **** off so he can help the boys go one better, sorry it wasn't what the fans wanted, but I will do everything as will the team to goone better next year.
Because he wants to make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid up before round 1.

As an aside - on all the desire for assistant coaches - longmire and kingsley have been rabbiting on about the soft cap on coaching noting that they havent been able to recruit from outside sydney because its too expensive for a new coach to uproot and come to sydney - maybe theyve tried to recruit assistants from elsewhere and havent got them over the line when they told them theyd have to live in a caravan

Good point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To cap it all off, nobody wanted the players to fail. I know there is a bias towards certain players, that's sports fandom for you. If we won the Grand Final we would be celebrating it for a week.

If the bottom 6 (Fox, Campbell, Amartey, McLean etc) put in a blinder like Morton and Mattner did in 2012 we would be giving them the plaudits. I see there is a lot of activity on the Parker thread as well. If he put in a blinder and looked great we would have been giving him the plaudits. I wanted to be wrong about player x and right about player y etc. Oh well. A bitter ending to the season.

Last edited:
To cap it all off, nobody wanted the players to fail. I know there is a bias towards certain players, that's sports fandom for you. If we won the Grand Final we would be celebrating it for a week.

If the bottom 6 (Fox, Campbell, Amartey, McLean etc) put in a blinder like Morton and Mattner did in 2012 we would be giving them the plaudits. I see there is a lot of activity on the Parker thread as well. If he put in a blinder and looked great we would have been giving him the plaudits. I wanted to be wrong about player x and right about player y etc. Oh well. A bitter ending to the season.
A week , i think not

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back