Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I Wonder if the Swans can get Ivan Cleary as a consultant to review our prep for grand finals.

On a side note. I’m glad one of my teams know what it takes to win a grand final in the mighty panthers. 4peat!

Commiserations to the Storm fans on this board.

I Wonder if the Swans can get Ivan Cleary as a consultant to review our prep for grand finals.

On a side note. I’m glad one of my teams know what it takes to win a grand final in the mighty panthers. 4peat!

Commiserations to the Storm fans on this board.

Just get Chris Fagan in , seems a decent chap, will give us some advice 😂

Whatever happens no stone needs to be unturned to find out the reason for that disgusting gutless performance .from Rampe holding hands in the photo etc. and right through the coaching .
Horse has been fantastic , but must pull the pin at the end of next season

Whatever happens no stone needs to be unturned to find out the reason for that disgusting gutless performance .from Rampe holding hands in the photo etc. and right through the coaching .
Horse has been fantastic , but must pull the pin at the end of next season
We're all style, no substance.

I've been consistent all season long that we were seriously mistaken if we thought our version of "pressure" was going to stack up against other teams in finals, particularly a grand final.

Sam Reid made an interesting comment at the B&F, referring to the 2012 side and how everyone was "dialled in" to their roles on the day. Well OK, let's imagine that our players this year showed up on the day and were dialled in to their role. Who was going to be "dialled in" to applying manic pressure, cracking in to win hard balls, sticking tough tackles that made the opposition hurt, working hard both sides of the ball to defend opposition time and space?

I'll tell you who... hardly any of them. Because it's not their role. They weren't great at those things all season long, why would we expect them to suddenly be great at it on the day?

You get the team you coach, and you get the team you pick. A midfield with a whopping total of two hard mids in it, a forward line with one small forward and zero players elite in the pressure area, and a team stacked with uncontested, outside players... is probably going to lack hardness in the midfield, pressure in the forward line, and players suited to the contest on the day. Especially in a grand final, which every player who has played in one has attested to it being another level of intensity from any other match.

Horse has to change the DNA of this team and what it's about, and what HE wants it to be about.

The other 17 clubs should lobby the AFL to give the Swans the easiest draw every year.
This would assist us to finish top every season & in turn make the Grand Final every year, which in turn gives every other team in the competition the best chance of winning premierships should they make tge GF against us.

Not sure where to post this but here will do.I was at the NRL GF last night supporting,the Storm (I am a foundation member), and as you know we lost. But this was the feeling I wanted to have last week if we lost. Really proud, a team that in every post game interview blamed no one but themselves, The universe didn’t get a mention!, took full responsibility, acknowledged they need to use this to drive next year , need to take the lessons from the benchmark organisation etc etc…just a really different feeling thinking next year could be very good for the Storm and they hung in there against some adversity but you knew they were going to fall short… contrasting our loss and how I was post the AFL gf…..validates to me it wasn’t the loss …. It was the manner of it.

The biggest thing we need to do is concentrate on ON FIELD issues , not off field issues and causes , they can take a backward seat next year
We try too hard off field with all these causes & not hard enough on field.
Some one asked me the other day if we actually have any indigenous players on our list.🤔

I had been keeping it in for a week , but f ing pissed off .
Take nothing away from Fages and Brissy they were outstanding , but so should we have been !
I'm with you.

Imagine paying thousands to attend a concert only to have the singer completely stink it up, singing out of tune and unable to hit a note. You'd want a refund.

I know the analogy is not 100% accurate but that's how I felt after paying for tickets, flights and accommodation to go down and watch the crap our team dished up. I said to my wife that I would've got more value wiping my bum with $100 bills then paying up to go and support our team.

I still love the club but they will have to earn my trust before I will make the journey to Melbourne for a GF again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We try too hard off field with all these causes & not hard enough on field.
Some one asked me the other day if we actually have any indigenous players on our list.🤔
We don't and i think after that rat Taylor we might be gun shy.
All our focus off field next year is our charities , that's all and our players do a great job.
We have 70,000 members , draw the biggest crowds , we don't need to suck up like we do . Other clubs have 1 or 2 special games and that's it

1 week and a bit on and time for me to reflect.

Firstly I want to apologize for all the horrible things I said to any members here. I was full of alcohol and rage.

Secondly I'm still a bit angry with the team for letting us down so badly. We had everything going for us and we shat the bed. We will never get a Grand Final more favourable than what we were given. Playing a team from outside Victoria, all banged up from the week before and playing against their second string ruckman. I don't know what else to do except just sack Longmire. We need to really examine ourselves as a club. We were all set for a historic win, and we comprehensively blew it.

When I accidentally read a post by the swans on facebook a day after losing the Grand Final asking the 75k members to resign for 2025 I almost threw my phone out the window. I mean, what bad timing. What were they thinking? Read the bloody room. There really is a big disconnect with our media team and the supporters. Seriously, they need to be sacked and replaced with a team that actually can connect with our supporters.

Like many others, I'm really, really frustrated with what the players and coaches said after the game. "Oh yeah it's just one game. We won't let it define us. We'll learn from this and come back stronger. We are united. Blah blah blah." I understand staying positive, but we just need to admit we're a weak club and always screws up on the biggest stage. It was really telling to me, that we won in 2005 after they came up with three words how they'd like to be seen as, 'HARD, DISCIPLINED, RELENTLESS.' And in 2014 they changed 'RELENTLESS' to 'UNITED.' I think this was a mistake as we've been killed ever since.

Anyway, a bit of positivity from me now. I started thinking more about our opposition. The Brisbane lions hadn't won anything meaningful since 2003. Over 20 years. They finished in the bottom 6 for most of that time while we were on top.

We've experienced our fair share of heartbreak since 2022, but they haven't exactly had it easy either.
2019 finished 2nd. Semi Final losers.
2020 finished 2nd. Preliminary Final losers.
2021 finished 4th. Semi Final losers.
2022 Preliminary Final losers.
2023 Grand Final losers

Compared to us.

2019 finished 15th
2020 finished 16th
2021 Elimination Final losers
2022 Grand Final losers
2023 Elimination Final losers

So you could argue that Brisbane lions had to work harder and experienced more heartbreak and near misses to get to this point than us. This gives me a glimmer of hope. Not much, but it's all I got right now. Brisbane lions and Fagan were a laughing stock for a while and he was going to get the sack. Especially after that whole racism row. Maybe just staying the course and trading in a few players (Key defender and key forward) is what we need right now and if we keep plugging away we'll eventually get there.

You could say yeah, but we were smashed in 2014 and 2016. To me, these are completely different teams.

And hey, we were smashed by 80 in 2022 and only 60 in 2024 so that's gotta be an improvement right? Maybe our next Grand Final against Freo we'll only be smashed by 40? :tearsofjoy:

1 week and a bit on and time for me to reflect.

Firstly I want to apologize for all the horrible things I said to any members here. I was full of alcohol and rage.

Secondly I'm still a bit angry with the team for letting us down so badly. We had everything going for us and we shat the bed. We will never get a Grand Final more favourable than what we were given. Playing a team from outside Victoria, all banged up from the week before and playing against their second string ruckman. I don't know what else to do except just sack Longmire. We need to really examine ourselves as a club. We were all set for a historic win, and we comprehensively blew it.

When I accidentally read a post by the swans on facebook a day after losing the Grand Final asking the 75k members to resign for 2025 I almost threw my phone out the window. I mean, what bad timing. What were they thinking? Read the bloody room. There really is a big disconnect with our media team and the supporters. Seriously, they need to be sacked and replaced with a team that actually can connect with our supporters.

Like many others, I'm really, really frustrated with what the players and coaches said after the game. "Oh yeah it's just one game. We won't let it define us. We'll learn from this and come back stronger. We are united. Blah blah blah." I understand staying positive, but we just need to admit we're a weak club and always screws up on the biggest stage. It was really telling to me, that we won in 2005 after they came up with three words how they'd like to be seen as, 'HARD, DISCIPLINED, RELENTLESS.' And in 2014 they changed 'RELENTLESS' to 'UNITED.' I think this was a mistake as we've been killed ever since.

Anyway, a bit of positivity from me now. I started thinking more about our opposition. The Brisbane lions hadn't won anything meaningful since 2003. Over 20 years. They finished in the bottom 6 for most of that time while we were on top.

We've experienced our fair share of heartbreak since 2022, but they haven't exactly had it easy either.
2019 finished 2nd. Semi Final losers.
2020 finished 2nd. Preliminary Final losers.
2021 finished 4th. Semi Final losers.
2022 Preliminary Final losers.
2023 Grand Final losers

Compared to us.

2019 finished 15th
2020 finished 16th
2021 Elimination Final losers
2022 Grand Final losers
2023 Elimination Final losers

So you could argue that Brisbane lions had to work harder and experienced more heartbreak and near misses to get to this point than us. This gives me a glimmer of hope. Not much, but it's all I got right now. Brisbane lions and Fagan were a laughing stock for a while and he was going to get the sack. Especially after that whole racism row. Maybe just staying the course and trading in a few players (Key defender and key forward) is what we need right now and if we keep plugging away we'll eventually get there.

You could say yeah, but we were smashed in 2014 and 2016. To me, these are completely different teams.

And hey, we were smashed by 80 in 2022 and only 60 in 2024 so that's gotta be an improvement right? Maybe our next Grand Final against Freo we'll only be smashed by 40? :tearsofjoy:
You forget 70 77 86 87 Nothing wrong with Brisbane

We as members/supporters of the club don't need to continuously hear about the Club reaching record membership numbers,
meeting or surpassing off field KPI's or achieving financial goals, or other non football related milestones (yes, I'll be proud of them - But these aren't the main reasons we follow the club or use as the measurement of ultimate success).

I am proud of their high standards in general, but more importantly want to see evidence of how the failure to turn up in Grand Finals is totally unacceptable and will not be put up with moving forward.

What shits me the most is losing in a similar style/manner/blueprint. I'll be seriously pissed off if we lose that way next season too. Need a change in defensive strategy which will mean changes to the best 23. I can't trust these players with a zone defence, especially in big games.

Let's be honest, GWS game we pulled it out of our arse, Port were absolutely cooked & it was a training run. Even the Pies game earlier which kick started our winning run was another one that was pulled out of our arse.

Whatever happened in the 1st half of the season to the 2nd half needs to be thoroughly reviewed. Were we found out? Did the players take it a bit easier? Were they physically cooked?

We've got the personnel to make another finals run but I think we need to alter our strategy. More contested & defensively sound players will help address some issues. I think Mills returning is massive for this team, irrespective where he plays. He gives us another contested player & is defensively very good.

Just watched the GF again for the first time on screen as part of my ongoing therapy.

With 8:48 mins left in second quarter scores were 26-34 .. anyone's game.
8.5 mins later at halftime it was 27-73 ... that 8 minute 6 goal burst which we've done many a time this year, broke our back. We still had every chance to return serve though in the 3rd & bring it all back..and I still had some small hope then.. we are the bloods after all and have finished so well most of year.

3rd quarter - JJs set shot out on the full (imagine if that went through) and then the stuff-up from Jmac to have it slingshotted for Ah Chee goal.
With 10 min left of 3/4 Heeney goals to bring it back to 1/2 time differential so still miniscule hope lingers.
Warner's crap kick out of centre into our fwd 50 and all downhill from there... Ashcroft goal and nothing else clicked after that. Game definitely over then.

I don't believe we need the wholesale changes many have talked about.
We were #1 for a reason and we put it right up Briz in round 19 with our lesser stacked team at their home-ground. We have the talent & firepower, most of which are young and will get smarter and stronger. So a few tweaks with strategies, setups, Plan-Bs & Cs needed...but most of all, mental training relating to the big day.

Would be f***ing nice too if the AFL gives us some big crowd games at the G closer to September next year...or at least in the 2nd half of season!

If if & buts were candy and nuts, but I firmly believe it would've been a different story has Cats held on that week before. They were banged up bad & the same finals journey as us with breaks. If they made it through it would've been like us in 2022 when we just hobbled into the GF after the prelim against the Pies.
Lions were absolutely on fire with eyes on the prize through the finals series with their powerful comebacks and were just totally ballistic on big the day. 200% more I reckon than that game ~2 months before at the Gabba. We were so so sloppy and made it easier of course.

Still believe our best can beat the best, but that day we were at about 50% in effort and skills.

Anyway, just some ponderings.

Therapy continues...

Last edited:
that 8 minute 6 goal burst which we've done many a time this year, broke our back.
We learned that shit in the two years we missed finals during the lockdown period. We still have in our system except we are better at attacking.
We don’t know how to stop momentum.
One of Paul Roos’ prerequisites to defending.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back