Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

That is not the Swans way. Degrading your team from the sideline. If you want to do that then give up your membership and announce you won't support the team anymore.

That way you are free to express your opinion knowing you are not a true supporter.
You are right but the best way to degrade one’s club is to dish out out two GF losses in 3 years by 80 & 60 points respectively.
That’s not on the supporters.
I think everyone is entitled to vent how angry they still are until it is rectified & that is to win another GF.
I don’t hold any confidence we will see another opportunity at a GF for the next 20 years at least. This poisoned lot is cooked & overpaid.
My opinion though so nobody get upset. Just keep putting your hands in your pockets like I still will, but keep clapping when they kick a team mate burning & finger twirling goal & excuse them for the clusters of 6 unanswered goals we are coached to give up.

As the weeks tick by and my anger keeps growing, this out of all the losses was the worst by far.

Literally everything and I mean everything went our way this year. Injuries, being well rested, playing teams before they hit their peak, the draw, even the umpiring was close to breakeven.

Doesn’t get easier than this, all we had to do was show up for each other for 1 match only.

Whilst coaching and selection was abominable for the GF, the players were way worse.

And I’ve seen nothing yet from either coaches or players that they care enough about changing things.

It’s bizarre. This game won’t define us equals who cares if we win or lose or better luck next time. I mean we will go down being defined as the worst GF performers of the modern era, that is how we are being defined atm. How they don’t see this inside their bubble is most peculiar.

If I could see they were down, upset, angry and gave 2 hoots, I wouldn’t be so angry. The lack of any response from the club is infuriating me the most.

Happy weekend!
I honestly could have written this word for word JHWF, this is exactly my feelings.
I'm still infuriated at the entire club.

As an aside, myself and a few friends are going on the Swans cruise in January. I'm wondering if Harley will still be going or, after what's happened, he will discreetly cancel and leave the heavy lifting i.e. facing the members, to JPK and Teddy.

I honestly could have written this word for word JHWF, this is exactly my feelings.

As an aside, myself and a few friends are going on the Swans cruise in January. I'm wondering if Harley will still be going or, after what's happened, he will discreetly cancel and leave the heavy lifting i.e. facing the members, to JPK and Teddy.
“Man overboard” lol. Hope someone holds you back lol.

Just go & enjoy yourself Jewelsy & don’t tarnish the trip.
JPK & Teddy are winners. Look to them for some sort of pride in being a supporter going forward.
I used to look up to Skilts & then Kels as players that gave their all on field every game when we had nod success to pin our happiness on. There is no player on our list that comes close to them while we are not successful in the big one.
Maybe Rowy is the only one.
Whenever we wish to make comparisons between this lot and any lists from the past, if the dvorelines don’t do it for you, then watch some replays of the teams mainly consisting of Roos era recruited players.
They NEVER gave up.
JPK & Teddy are two of them.
Paul Toos recruited players.
Winners!
Enjoy yourself.

It is interesting looking back at GF team selection. In retrospect, we had structural issues with our contest in the midfield and a slow forward line. As well as several players not fully fit.

But on GF morning, I was happy with the 23 players we selected. I would not have selected both Adams and Parker. (And Parker had the better form.) Also I think it would have been a big call to select Cleary over Logan. Mcinerney, Papley, Heeney and Hayward looked hampered during the game. But I still would have picked them.

Only things I would have done different would be to play Fox in defence from the start and push a quicker player forward. But probably does not make much of a difference.

I still find it perplexing how things turned out. We were playing poorly from the start and never settled. We were lucky to kick the first few goals and then gave up easy goals in the 1st quarter. And on the scoreboard we were still in the game till late in the 2nd quarter despite playing poorly.

It is interesting looking back at GF team selection. In retrospect, we had structural issues with our contest in the midfield and a slow forward line. As well as several players not fully fit.

But on GF morning, I was happy with the 23 players we selected. I would not have selected both Adams and Parker. (And Parker had the better form.) Also I think it would have been a big call to select Cleary over Logan. Mcinerney, Papley, Heeney and Hayward looked hampered during the game. But I still would have picked them.

Only things I would have done different would be to play Fox in defence from the start and push a quicker player forward. But probably does not make much of a difference.

I still find it perplexing how things turned out. We were playing poorly from the start and never settled. We were lucky to kick the first few goals and then gave up easy goals in the 1st quarter. And on the scoreboard we were still in the game till late in the 2nd quarter despite playing poorly.
I wouldn't say I was 'happy' with the structures we had in the finals - I had my doubts - but I'd made peace with them, and it was a peace born out of trust in the coaches that they knew what they were doing.

However I said this ahead of the first final against GWS:

Well, we did that last year when we went after a hard, experienced, contested player in Adams, and we've now deemed him not good enough because we have a fairly large cohort of flanker/outside types whose main strengths are not winning hard balls or sticking tackles.

Again, not saying I disagree with it, but we've made it very clear where our focus as a team lies, we now have to live or die by it. If we die by it, then it will be Horse who has to make some tactical changes, more so than list changes, to re-wire the team back around hardness.

We ended up dying by the choices we made.

Of course there were other circumstances at play, and our structural weaknesses are no excuse for us being SO bad on the day, but they played as big a role as anything. This is why it's the worst GF loss so far for me - we had this one coming to us.

Fox in the forward line was really weird. That decision made me think that the coaches really lost the forest for the trees. Particularly as they also had Parker playing a defensive role.

Players were both played out of their natural positions and outside the team’s structures.

My sense is that Longmire has a tendency to overwork and overthink things, and this goes into hyperdrive in GF week. I think this shows up in Gf selections, but also the lack of confidence and edge the players have on the day.

My guess with our tactical approach was that we had seen Brisbane get back into the game against GWS/Geelong by playing high risk attacking football. Which left them vulnerable if they had turned it over. But those teams were not able to punish them by converting opportunities which would halt their attacking momentum. And we had beaten Port Adelaide by scoring heavily on turnover.

So my guess is that we were hoping to score against them on turnover. And if it became an open end to end game. It would suit our style and we might have an advantage later in the game as Brisbane tired.

I have become gripped by a total despair post the grand final, but the only glimmer of hope for me is that I think our problem is almost entirely with the centre of the ground.

Once Heeney was struggling, we had no one who could compete with Neale, Ashcroft and Dunkley. Once they got totally on top in the centre, which was almost instantly (again), all the other issues start to manifest.

I just don't have any faith that we can address it.

It feels worse than other losses because

A) We lost to a team that has a worse MCG record than us and faced the same disadvantage on the day as we did.
B) For 90% of the season we were by far the best side in the competition and maintained 1st for months.
C) Apart from the first 30mins of the game it wasnt even CLOSE afterwards.
D) We lost to a team that were at one point 12th on the ladder and long odds to even make the 8.
E) We lost to a team for the second time that finished 5th.
F) We lost to a team that started 0-3 and lost several best 22 players to season ending injuries.

So not only does it feel worse everytime you analyze it it LOOKS much worse on paper after the significant hurdles the opposition had to go through.

Mind you Brisbane flag is probably one of the best in the last 20 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still can't understand how we made the GF.

We were 12th for total clearances for the season (Brisbane were 1st).

Our fwd line is awful. Our backline awful.

I think we will fall out of the 8 next year.

This group is all about bruise free footy and corporate culture.

Granny wasn't a "one off bad game".

More so it was a fluke we made it.

My guess with our tactical approach was that we had seen Brisbane get back into the game against GWS/Geelong by playing high risk attacking football. Which left them vulnerable if they had turned it over. But those teams were not able to punish them by converting opportunities which would halt their attacking momentum. And we had beaten Port Adelaide by scoring heavily on turnover.

So my guess is that we were hoping to score against them on turnover. And if it became an open end to end game. It would suit our style and we might have an advantage later in the game as Brisbane tired.
I think you're absolutely right in the theory.

I think the players thought that someone (else) would do the tough defensive play and turn it over and they would get on the end of an easy run and outside ball afterwards.

But then nobody wanted to do the dirty work and win the turnover and also when we did get the ball, Brisbane didn't just allow us to run free without body contact . They bloody tackled (yikes!).

Once this was realised we just gave up..all too hard.

I still can't understand how we made the GF.

We were 12th for total clearances for the season (Brisbane were 1st).

Our fwd line is awful. Our backline awful.

I think we will fall out of the 8 next year.

This group is all about bruise free footy and corporate culture.

Granny wasn't a "one off bad game".

More so it was a fluke we made it.

Natural skills

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back