Sydney under Longmire

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t think these blowouts are solely on Longmire. He’s been let down time and again by his stars in big games. You just don’t put that on the coach.
Oh yeah. It’s got nothing to do with the coach, but more selfish club culture that started with the Buddy deal at the end of 2013.

Don’t think these blowouts are solely on Longmire. He’s been let down time and again by his stars in big games. You just don’t put that on the coach.

They are in a sense.

Longmire does not care about clearances, never has. He values the turnover game.

The problem with that is in the regular season we are good enough in the clearances to get by (nothing more) but in the big finals games we are smashed in the clearances, giving the opposition first use of the ball every time and the opposition (they made the Grand Final) are too good to be turning the ball over that much. So we can't win the ball, and we don't get the ball enough in turnovers.

Longmire is to blame for this philosophy, and it is a philosophy that has not changed since he became the coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No chance Hardwick is coaching the swans list to a blow out like this or 2022 or 2016.

I think the motivation factor with Hardwick might get the players up a little more, but if the players can't self-motivate that's a problem in itself. Also I feel that's very little to do with it, I just think some players will fail on the big stage and some players are made for it. Richmond did have one Dustin Martin who rarely failed on the big stage.

They are in a sense.

Longmire does not care about clearances, never has. He values the turnover game.

The problem with that is in the regular season we are good enough in the clearances to get by (nothing more) but in the big finals games we are smashed in the clearances, giving the opposition first use of the ball every time and the opposition (they made the Grand Final) are too good to be turning the ball over that much. So we can't win the ball, and we don't get the ball enough in turnovers.

Longmire is to blame for this philosophy, and it is a philosophy that has not changed since he became the coach.
Early in the game you could see the stark difference in style
One team was playing direct attack, the other short slow build up to the fwd line

No surprise which style wins

I think the motivation factor with Hardwick might get the players up a little more, but if the players can't self-motivate that's a problem in itself. Also I feel that's very little to do with it, I just think some players will fail on the big stage and some players are made for it. Richmond did have one Dustin Martin who rarely failed on the big stage.
Whereas Gulden and Heeney were shadows of their previous games

The best coaches in their prime (Clarkson, Hardwick, Lethal, Scott) create an environment where the big players produce their best on the biggest stage. I'd be less critical of longmire if any of Warner, Gulden or Heeney fired a shot in 2022 or 2024. Fact is they failed on the biggest stage. I've no doubt that wouldn't have happened twice in 3 years if one of the aforementioned coaches were at the swans. Not saying swans would have won, but they wouldn't have produced a pathetic non-competitive effort.

It’s getting out of control. At least with us they were in it, but the last two they have been awful.

I do wonder what they do in the lead up (or maybe training wise during September). I just don’t see how they can continually give themselves the opportunity to win and then just not show up.

They are in a sense.

Swans have also been known as tough inside, especially at the SCG. I don't think the MCG helps them with their ball movement though. I'm not sure what is but the way they cut angles at the SCG compared to the MCG is miles apart. Commiserations, nonetheless. Grand Finals are not easy to win and even the loser should never take for granted the opportunity to compete in it albeit even after a dirty day.

Any reason when Eagles/Freo do it its a "they cant win at the MCG" and when Sydney do it its a "the coach is crap" scenario?

I mean is it not the first part for them? Sydney cant win at the MCG. That is the hoodoo or issue. The brand of football they play doesnt suit the MCG at all. Too easy to go 1 on 1 with your direct opponent and too easy to get the ball into the corridor which hurts them big time given they are not a clearance dominate team.

If GFs were played on any other ground Sydney would have 2 of the 4 by now for example

Swans have also been known as tough inside, especially at the SCG. I don't think the MCG helps them with their ball movement though. I'm not sure what is but the way they cut angles at the SCG compared to the MCG is miles apart. Commiserations, nonetheless. Grand Finals are not easy to win and even the loser should never take for granted the opportunity to compete in it albeit even after a dirty day.

Opposition fans know us as tough inside but the reality has been very different for a long time now. We have not been a good clearance team for well over a decade now. Longmire does not value it, and does not value players who are only good at being a clearance player. It is why Longmire did not value Tom Mitchell, and it is why he won't play Angus Sheldrick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney under Longmire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back