Sydney under Longmire

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans have also been known as tough inside, especially at the SCG. I don't think the MCG helps them with their ball movement though. I'm not sure what is but the way they cut angles at the SCG compared to the MCG is miles apart. Commiserations, nonetheless. Grand Finals are not easy to win and even the loser should never take for granted the opportunity to compete in it albeit even after a dirty day.
It’s strange, I always thought the bigger grounds suits our game plan and skill level better. We can do it often at Adelaide Oval and Optus Stadium regularly but not the MCG for some reason. I have no idea why we started to play short today of all days.

It’s getting out of control. At least with us they were in it, but the last two they have been awful.

I do wonder what they do in the lead up (or maybe training wise during September). I just don’t see how they can continually give themselves the opportunity to win and then just not show up.

Would be very interesting to see how they've structured the week of the GFs they've played in over the last 10 years.

Oh yeah. It’s got nothing to do with the coach, but more selfish club culture that started with the Buddy deal at the end of 2013.
A coach who keeps picking injured players for Grand Finals has to bear a large amount of criticism for blow out losses

Would be very interesting to see how they've structured the week of the GFs they've played in over the last 10 years.
I saw Hardwick give a presentation once where he talked about the lead up to the 2017 GF. He said he told his players to enjoy the whole week because it was a rare opportunity.

Then he showed the team photos of the sides pre-game. The Crows were sitting there stony faced and serious and the Tigers all had ear-to-ear grins.

Of course I’m sure there are team photos of grinning idiots that went down in a ball of flames, but I do wonder what Sydney does. They look like deers in the headlights every time.

A coach who keeps picking injured players for Grand Finals has to bear a large amount of criticism for blow out losses
Playing devil’s advocate, there are always stories of players who secretly played injured after a GF. Some get away with it and some don’t. In our ‘16 side Libba barely walked during the whole of September and Morris had two breaks in his back.

I’m sure he’ll get criticism for it, but they were hopeless after the first ten minutes. Picking McDonald is far from the whole story.

Last edited:
Sydneys team has always had terrible depth in some areas so its why it happens.

Joel Hamling is basically Sydneys best backup tall forward. Even down back if someone goes down its Aaron Francis or a small forward gets injured and Sam Wicks is back. Its a team with little depth outside a stacked midfield

Mills obviously had a fair few players capable of playing his role and well the player who did in Robbie Fox was basically Sydneys best on ground for the day, so in that sense the right decision was clearly made

Sydneys team has always had terrible depth in some areas so its why it happens.

Joel Hamling is basically Sydneys best backup tall forward....

Mills obviously had a fair few players capable of playing his role and well the player who did in Robbie Fox was basically Sydneys best on ground for the day, so in that sense the right decision was clearly made

Oddly enough Fox was good in both the 2022 and 2024 Grand Finals. Got no issue with him.

I'm just guessing here but I imagine Horse would have the worst aggregate deficit in GF's by a coach, all-time. It's pretty special to go -200 or whatever he is now.

It's a real tough one. He has obviously been doing so much right for so long now.

I think it was their list, which was so badly exposed across the board today more than anything. More than Longmire's coaching.

What was most disturbing was the performance of their much vaunted midfield.

It's a real tough one. He has obviously been doing so much right for so long now.

I think it was their list, which was so badly exposed across the board today more than anything. More than Longmire's coaching.

What was most disturbing was the performance of their much vaunted midfield.

The problem is Longmire does not value in and under midfielders. It means we lose the clearances in big ways in finals.

Heeney, Warner, Gulden are not really in and under midfielders and if you can't get your hands on the ball first it makes it difficult.

It’s strange, I always thought the bigger grounds suits our game plan and skill level better. We can do it often at Adelaide Oval and Optus Stadium regularly but not the MCG for some reason. I have no idea why we started to play short today of all days.
It was strange, a few times chipping wide into the wings today which means you need an extra kick to get that inside 50.
It's very easy to get lost wide at the MCG. I've seen Bulldogs sides do it over the years too, get too used to Marvel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, and him basically sidelining Sheldrick is a huge mistake too. Sheldrick is super talented as an inside mid but most people would not know that because Longmire refuses to play him since Sheldrick is not great at any position other than being an inside mid.
Who?
Seriously never heard of him.
Maybe longmire should've played him more during the year but but your not Seriously suggesting some random gf selection?

The problem is Longmire does not value in and under midfielders. It means we lose the clearances in big ways in finals.

Heeney, Warner, Gulden are not really in and under midfielders and if you can't get your hands on the ball first it makes it difficult.
Yet you win two finals to make the grand final… I’m thinking it’s something more specific to grand final preparation or the MCG itself?

Can not understand why you guys got Taylor Adams. so pointless he has flaws but you guys must have got him for a reason.

Agreed, and him basically sidelining Sheldrick is a huge mistake too. Sheldrick is super talented as an inside mid but most people would not know that because Longmire refuses to play him since Sheldrick is not great at any position other than being an inside mid.
And again...inside mids were killing it for the Lions. Adams needed to play in hindsight.

And again...inside mids were killing it for the Lions. Adams needed to play in hindsight.
Why recruit Adams for the big stage and not play him? This is baffling to me. Just got sucked into dropping him by the media

Who?
Seriously never heard of him.
Maybe longmire should've played him more during the year but but your not Seriously suggesting some random gf selection?

Not surprised you haven't as he has only played in the main team a handful of times and each time Longmire stuck him in the forward line despite being an inside mid. He is tough player and any other coach would have played him a lot more but Longmire has painted him with the same brush he painted Tom Mitchell, as not versitile enough and only good at being an inside mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney under Longmire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back