Preview Sydney Vs North Melbourne - A Danger Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is team selection going to work tonight when we don't know how Heeney's appeal will go? He's technically still a suspended player this week until the appeals board says otherwise...

Can you name a suspended player in your team?

Didn't Carlton when Cripps was suspended?

Silence is pretty damning for Parker. I'd be fuming if I was him.
How is it the clubs fault that:

a) he got injured
b) he got suspended when he wasn't really banging the selection door down to a team on fire
c) he's just coming off 7 week break and there's not really a spot open that he's a like for like replacement

He might be wondering why Mills gets in (fair question), but if we omit Roberts, as I'd expect, he's a decent fit for the backline. And Mills is the captain fwiw.

a) he got injured
b) he got suspended when he wasn't really banging the selection door down to a team on fire
c) he's just coming off 7 week break and there's not really a spot open that he's a like for like replacement

He might be wondering why Mills gets in (fair question), but if we omit Roberts, as I'd expect, he's a decent fit for the backline. And Mills is the captain fwiw.

a) He hasn't been injured for about 3 months. Mills is only just returning to fitness
b) He was in great form in the Reserves, won a game for us off our own boot and had huge disposal numbers
c) Think there's a reasonably high profile player technically suspended last I checked? Roberts who didn't do a whole lot in our last game, Adams who was sub and didn't materially impact the game when coming on, I could go on.

a) he got injured

He may still be selected anyway.

Blue bibs don't always mean you're not in the 23. I'm not really sure they mean anything. The strongest evidence they point towards is the starting interchange & sub. In almost every week's gallery I've gone back and looked to see who is in the blue bibs who are also in the selected 23, and they are almost always the guys who aren't in the starting 18. But even then there are a few exceptions that have made it hard to say conclusively.

I legit sound like I'm purporting a scholarly thesis here don't I. What a Wayne Kerr!

a) he got injured

None of that is the club's fault per sè however Parker was a club captain last year, among our bests over the last 2 months of the season, and only lost his place due to injury. He also had 70 disposals in his first 2 games back so I'd suggest he was absolutely doing what was asked.

People kept arguing against tinkering with a winning side. Well ok, now look what's happened. We've dropped 2 in a row, our clearance work has been diabolical - Parker was our leading clearance player over the past 3 years - and we're carrying passengers up forward who are averaging less marks inside 50 and goals per game than Parker has averaged over his career as a mid. He also brings leadership to a team that has lost it's composure and accountability for extended periods during more than just the last 2 games.

To say there isn't a spot available for a player as good as Parker was last year, and again when he returned in the VFL just isn't true.

Last edited:
a) He hasn't been injured for about 3 months. Mills is only just returning to fitness
b) He was in great form in the Reserves, won a game for us off our own boot and had huge disposal numbers
c) Think there's a reasonably high profile player technically suspended last I checked? Roberts who didn't do a whole lot in our last game, Adams who was sub and didn't materially impact the game when coming on, I could go on.
I didn't say he was injured recently, I was countering the fuming part.

I wouldn't say "great form" in the VFL. He was doing what you'd expect a player of his experience and calibre to do. He kicked some goals, which is good, but I think people read too much into racking up possessions in the reserves (or seniors tbh). I'm not the only one who watches a lot of our reserves games that wasn't overawed.

If Heeney misses and we don't have confidence in a full game out of Adams, he's in the conversation sure. But then we're bringing in 2 match unfit players into a team that looked sluggish, against a young team with some confidence.

I didn't say he was injured recently, I was countering the fuming part.

I wouldn't say "great form" in the VFL. He was doing what you'd expect a player of his experience and calibre to do. He kicked some goals, which is good, but I think people read too much into racking up possessions in the reserves (or seniors tbh). I'm not the only one who watches a lot of our reserves games that wasn't overawed.

If Heeney misses and we don't have confidence in a full game out of Adams, he's in the conversation sure. But then we're bringing in 2 match unfit players into a team that looked sluggish, against a young team with some confidence.
So he played to expectation and you're saying that's not good enough. Come on mate..

None of that is the club's fault per sè however Parker was a club captain last year, among our bests over the last 2 months of the season, and only lost his place due to injury. He also had 70 disposals in his first 2 games back so I'd suggest he was absolutely doing what was asked.

People kept arguing against tinkering with a winning side. Well ok, now look what's happened. We've dropped 2 in a row, our clearance work has been diabolical - Parker was our leading clearance player over the past 3 years - and we're carrying passengers up forward who are averaging less marks inside 50 and goals per game than Parker has averaged over his career as a mid. He also brings leadership to a team that has lost it's composure and accountability for extended periods during more than just the last 2 games.

To say there isn't a spot available for a player as good as Parker was last year, and again when he returned in the VFL just isn't true.
I've responded to all this in a bunch of posts now, but:

Why are people fixated on disposal numbers?

He isn't really a like for like for Wicks, if that's who we're talking about. Maybe we opt for an additional leading/marking type and someone for F50 stoppages, but we lose out on chasing, corraling rebounding defenders.

So he played to expectation and you're saying that's not good enough. Come on mate..
I think he met basic expectations yes, for someone like him, in the VFL. He didn't deserve to break in then tbh, and depending on who is out this week, I'd give him a game in the VFL again.

I think he met basic expectations yes, for someone like him in the VFL. He didn't deserve to break in then tbh, and depending on who is out this week, I'd give him a game in the VFL again.
Ridiculous call.

He'd offer significantly more than Campbell, Roberts, maybe wicks and Adams too. Certainly amartey at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridiculous call.

He'd offer significantly more than Campbell, Roberts, maybe wicks and Adams too. Certainly amartey at the moment.
How many Weeks of poor form does Amartey get slack for because of his ripping start to the season as he had 31 through 13 games, aside from that i agree with you

Saw this coming, not surprised at all... perhaps a combination of the match committee not being happy with the pressure and also the team desperately needing new life after 2 losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back