List Mgmt. Team 2014 (out: BJ, DJ, AD, AK, JR, DT, HS, JP, CG; in: JW, Adams, PK, Armstr, 6, 10, 67, Dwyer, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

In Knightmares thread about out of contract players he gave a good analysis of James Magner. Magner seemed to tear us up against Casey yesterday. Should we consider him as an option for a hard inside midfielder with good size? It might be good strategy to try and get an inside mid and a caretaker ruck from the VFL next year as it would be cheaper than forking out a first round pick.

By the way what is the deal with Casey? Some posters had suggested a few VFL teams were better than Melbourne. Well yeah ... Their own seconds. Is this part of an ongoing tanking strategy by the Dees!?

How about Mummy and Luke Parker for Ben Reid and Brodie Grundy

Lets be serious Grundy will be a better footballer than Mummy if developed correctly and Reid is head and shoulders above Parker. With the value that Reid has the only way this gets over the line is if Parker is changed to Mitchell or you add something extra on top of good value.

In Knightmares thread about out of contract players he gave a good analysis of James Magner. Magner seemed to tear us up against Casey yesterday. Should we consider him as an option for a hard inside midfielder with good size? It might be good strategy to try and get an inside mid and a caretaker ruck from the VFL next year as it would be cheaper than forking out a first round pick.

By the way what is the deal with Casey? Some posters had suggested a few VFL teams were better than Melbourne. Well yeah ... Their own seconds. Is this part of an ongoing tanking strategy by the Dees!?

The best option for that state league inside mid is right under our noses and was clearly our best on ground yesterday.

Moloney is more skilled than Magner and has a bigger body. Like Martin he's showed continuos improvement across the past 2 seasons. If his current form remains for the rest of the season he will be our B&F winner at VFL level and probably poll well in the Listin trophy. There's also the added bonus of him already being aware of our structures if drafted.

At the end of the day I'd be more than a little ticked off if we don't rookie list him because for mine he's far more worthy of being on an AFL rookie list than Yagmoor.

I think Melbourne has no confidance in their list, either that or they're trying to win the VFL premiership because it's a realistic goal.

Mummy is proven and what you need straight away Grundy has done nothing.

Just assuming that rucks are as desperate a need for us as you believe they are (which they aren't) the deal can be broken down as follows.

We give you a player that would be absolutely perfect for your list because he can spend large minutes up forward while Pyke takes the brunt of the ruckload and dominate at reserve level. Only to receive a bloke that we cant play with Witts because of lack of mobility. Thus strengthening our ruck department for 3-4 more years (ala Jolly) only to realise that after those 3-4 years Witts isn't right to go because he hasn't received enough senior games leaving us in the exact position we currently face!

Yes that makes perfect sense and while we're at it we'll give you Paul Seedsman to get Rhys Shaw back. I mean because we're desperate for a good small defender and all!

What Collingwood needs to do is learn to develop their own ruckmen or our current cycle of throwing draft picks and money at the problem will just continue! The best way to break the vicious cycle is to keep one of Jolly or Hudson for 2014 to assist Witts or Grundy and tell them that the number 1 spot is theirs for 2015 and its a head to head competition as to who is ready to take the mantle first. Both are young competitive blokes who will strive to get the best out of themselves (Grundy especially) so while they may not be guns by 2015 they will be good enough for us to be highly competitive with the strong midfield group we have.

FWIW if you want to take one of our young rucks off our hands Witts is your man because Grundy is about as tradeable as Pendlebury or Cloke.

Just assuming that rucks are as desperate a need for us as you believe they are (which they aren't) the deal can be broken down as follows.

We give you a player that would be absolutely perfect for your list because he can spend large minutes up forward while Pyke takes the brunt of the ruckload and dominate at reserve level. Only to receive a bloke that we cant play with Witts because of lack of mobility. Thus strengthening our ruck department for 3-4 more years (ala Jolly) only to realise that after those 3-4 years Witts isn't right to go because he hasn't received enough senior games leaving us in the exact position we currently face!

Yes that makes perfect sense and while we're at it we'll give you Paul Seedsman to get Rhys Shaw back. I mean because we're desperate for a good small defender and all!

What Collingwood needs to do is learn to develop their own ruckmen or our current cycle of throwing draft picks and money at the problem will just continue! The best way to break the vicious cycle is to keep one of Jolly or Hudson for 2014 to assist Witts or Grundy and tell them that the number 1 spot is theirs for 2015 and its a head to head competition as to who is ready to take the mantle first.

FWIW if you want to take one of our young rucks off our hands Witts is your man because Grundy is about as tradeable as Pendlebury or Cloke.
I'd do Seedsman for Shaw :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So come years end all the below could be free spots am I right?
Didak -retired
Johnson - retired
Marty clarke- ?
Yagmoor- ?
Hartley -?
Jolly- will he go round once more?
Corey gault - not sure on him?
Ben Richmond- do we invest in him?
Have I missed anyone ?

Yer but hes been good for us...love his aggression, I dont seem as the player hogging up a spot. At times hes deserved a spot over jolly.

I agree 100%. If the decision were left to me and I had to keep one and push out the other I would be keeping Hudson over Jolly, however I don't think Hudson is likely to go on next year and in all honesty we were lucky to get this year out of him...

I agree 100%. If the decision were left to me and I had to keep one and push out the other I would be keeping Hudson over Jolly, however I don't think Hudson is likely to go on next year and in all honesty we were lucky to get this year out of him...
He seems in good nic compared to jolly whos younger. At this point I would think hudson can go another year its jolly im worried about....bloke can barely jump.

Jolly could go round one more year if his body holds up.

Hudson will retire.
Didak will retire.
Johnson will retire.
Krakouer looks likely to retire.
Maxwell may suprise and retire.

Lynch has one more year on his contract.
Clarke has one more year on his contract.

Daisy may go.

Sinclair may be delisted.
Gault may be delisted.
Hartley may be delisted.
Yagmoor may be delisted.

Edwards may be drafted.
Moore may be prelisted for the VFL.

If Jolly goes one more year we may not chase a ruckman as Witts and Grundy will both need more AFL gametime and Lynch will still be there as backup. Keeffe can probably pinch hit too if necessary. So that is potentially Jolly, Witts, Lynch, Grundy and Keeffe as ruck stocks for 2014. thats enough I reckon.

Clarke and Russell go round one more year but Oxley, Williams, Ramsay, Seedsman, Frost and Keeffe are coming through as backline players. Reid, Brown, Shaw, Tooves and O'Brien are all still young enough to go round for at least 3 more years. I think they are even all still under contract.

Dida and Krak make way for Faz and Elliot and Kennedy and Mooney and Broomhead and Martin and Dwyer and Edwards, so small forwards don't look like a glaring need.

Cloke and Lynch and Paine all go round again with Grundy and Witts both developing in support, plus whoever out of Brown, Reid and Keeffe is not playing back, plus Moore in the VFL, so I think that KPF is not an area of extreme need either.

Our midfield of Swan, Pendles, Beams, Ball, Rusty, Bliar, J.Thomas, Macaffer, Kennedy, Young seems to run fairly deep too.

Basically this is the first year where I would GENUINELY say "best available". We do not have a glaring weakness structurally, its just that a lot of the youngsters we have in positions may or may not make it, and you can't tell in advance who will make it and who won't, so the best strategy is just to get the best FA's available, pick the best draft picks available, and rookie the best rookies available.

GO PIES.

Jolly could go round one more year if his body holds up.

Hudson will retire.
Didak will retire.
Johnson will retire.
Krakouer looks likely to retire.
Maxwell may suprise and retire.

Lynch has one more year on his contract.
Clarke has one more year on his contract.

Daisy may go.

Sinclair may be delisted.
Gault may be delisted.
Hartley may be delisted.
Yagmoor may be delisted.

Edwards may be drafted.
Moore may be prelisted for the VFL.

If Jolly goes one more year we may not chase a ruckman as Witts and Grundy will both need more AFL gametime and Lynch will still be there as backup. Keeffe can probably pinch hit too if necessary. So that is potentially Jolly, Witts, Lynch, Grundy and Keeffe as ruck stocks for 2014. thats enough I reckon.

Clarke and Russell go round one more year but Oxley, Williams, Ramsay, Seedsman, Frost and Keeffe are coming through as backline players. Reid, Brown, Shaw, Tooves and O'Brien are all still young enough to go round for at least 3 more years. I think they are even all still under contract.

Dida and Krak make way for Faz and Elliot and Kennedy and Mooney and Broomhead and Martin and Dwyer and Edwards, so small forwards don't look like a glaring need.

Cloke and Lynch and Paine all go round again with Grundy and Witts both developing in support, plus whoever out of Brown, Reid and Keeffe is not playing back, plus Moore in the VFL, so I think that KPF is not an area of extreme need either.

Our midfield of Swan, Pendles, Beams, Ball, Rusty, Bliar, J.Thomas, Macaffer, Kennedy, Young seems to run fairly deep too.

Basically this is the first year where I would GENUINELY say "best available". We do not have a glaring weakness structurally, its just that a lot of the youngsters we have in positions may or may not make it, and you can't tell in advance who will make it and who won't, so the best strategy is just to get the best FA's available, pick the best draft picks available, and rookie the best rookies available.

GO PIES.
Agree with most of that but I think the club will convince hudson to go round 1 more year and as for maxwell I dont think the new game plan works with his ability to go 3rd man up but can't see him retiring but he will lose the captaincy though. I just think we should continue on the path of getting as many free spots on the list we can get and let Hine and Rendell do their stuff.

Mark Maclure suggested to Eddie on air, that we swap a player for one of Carlton's 3 ruckman. He was hinting at Jolly being past it, Eddie knew what he was talking about but played it well. I'm sure the club are pondering on our ruck situation in 2014. Witts and Grundy won't be enough next year.

Oh well, at least it'll be somewhat interesting this off season, I think we'll really start to see Buck's stamp on the team with some aggressive moves in summer. Go for it Bucks! :thumbsu:

Mark Maclure suggested to Eddie on air, that we swap a player for one of Carlton's 3 ruckman. He was hinting at Jolly being past it, Eddie knew what he was talking about but played it well. I'm sure the club are pondering on our ruck situation in 2014. Witts and Grundy won't be enough next year.

Oh well, at least it'll be somewhat interesting this off season, I think we'll really start to see Buck's stamp on the team with some aggressive moves in summer. Go for it Bucks! :thumbsu:
Yer I saw that little dig at our ruck stocks.
Well hes right to an extent,witts and grundy aren't ready yet hence the reason we are going after Leuenberger.

Mummy is proven and what you need straight away Grundy has done nothing.

Well Mummy this season is a 2nd Ruckman who is over Weight and Grundy has Been Injured so we have not see what he can do yet

Out of the 3 I'd take hampson! We won't have to give up as much for him and I think his tap work is better then the other 2! Who would we trade for one of them?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Team 2014 (out: BJ, DJ, AD, AK, JR, DT, HS, JP, CG; in: JW, Adams, PK, Armstr, 6, 10, 67, Dwyer, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back