List Mgmt. Team 2014 (out: BJ, DJ, AD, AK, JR, DT, HS, JP, CG; in: JW, Adams, PK, Armstr, 6, 10, 67, Dwyer, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon maxwell would be good currency in a trade with GWS.
They need a senior player with leadership skills, and we need young players with speed, composure, vision and elite skills.

I think we should be ruthless in this trade period.
Time to get rid of the unkos in the team like the cull last season.
Jordan Russell, nick maxwell, Sinclair, Goldsack (only because you never get a full season out of him)
Should get something half decent for maxwell although maybe not even gws would want him.
Add retirements in Johnson, Didak, Hudson and there's a fair bit of cash to throw around.

They need a senior player with leadership skills, and we need young players with speed, composure, vision and elite skills.

Maxwell would be worth very little for GWS, isn't a star player and doesn't have that long left in the game.

Worth far more to us.. we aren't going to get a young elite player for maxwell

Ward, Davis et al would be sufficient for them. He'll probably just stunt their young players progress.

I think we should be ruthless in this trade period.
Time to get rid of the unkos in the team like the cull last season.
Jordan Russell, nick maxwell, Sinclair, Goldsack (only because you never get a full season out of him)
Should get something half decent for maxwell although maybe not even gws would want him.
Add retirements in Johnson, Didak, Hudson and there's a fair bit of cash to throw around.

Not sure if serious.. We only just picked up Russell, probably not worth a lot on the market as a stand alone trade and needed for depth. Maxwell would be worth very little, we're better off hanging on to him.. Goldsack is our best utility type player, will potentially play 3rd tall either forward or back for the next couple of years..

If you want to gain anything of value in the trade market you have to give up something of value in an area we can clearly cover the loss; Clarke, Sidebottom, One of our key defenders (Brown/Keefe/Frost) because if we give up slops, we'll get slops in return..

We're not in a full re-building stage, we still need some seniors to lead the kids.

Not sure if serious.. We only just picked up Russell, probably not worth a lot on the market as a stand alone trade and needed for depth. Maxwell would be worth very little, we're better off hanging on to him.. Goldsack is our best utility type player, will potentially play 3rd tall either forward or back for the next couple of years..

If you want to gain anything of value in the trade market you have to give up something of value in an area we can clearly cover the loss; Clarke, Sidebottom, One of our key defenders (Brown/Keefe/Frost) because if we give up slops, we'll get slops in return..

We're not in a full re-building stage, we still need some seniors to lead the kids.
Well I said get rid Russel not trade him. Surely someone would chuck us a late pick for him though and hine would find someone worthwhile to spend it on.
Clarke can go yes but I wouldnt put him in much higher a category than the others mentioned in terms of trade value, and Sidebottom I think has topped out a couple of years ago, he's not improving so he could be a good trade yes.
Goldsack I love, but he's so injury and sickness prone you just can't get a season out of him, and if he can't at least get through the rest of the season without another injury I think it's time to pass the problem on to someone else.
Everyone keeps saying maxwell isn't worth anything as a trade so we should keep him, we'll I say why should we keep an unko who no one else would want, get rid of him.

Sidebottom and Goldsack are clear best 22 players. Sidebottom's being played out of position, he's a crafty and hard running HFF who can play stints in the middle. Not a engine room midfielder with an outside running game. There was probably the hope that he could make the transition into an inside mid mini-Pendlebury type with his creative ball use, composure in congestion and sheer gut run, but he's the type of player who can kick 40 goals a season at 20 disposals a match IMO.

He won't though because he's being played up the field picking up 30 disposals a game, but with significantly less hurt factor since he's being used as a link up player, not a play maker. Hopefully that changes when Young comes in.

As for Goldsack, one of the most versatile players on the list. Can play forward and back, on talls and on smalls. Could play on the wing too if necessary or as a half back rebounder.

No way I'd move on them.

Wow there are some staggering decisions in here. Yep we're going to trade our captain to GWS. Makes total sense. Oh and we'll get rid of a kid who at 19 almost won a Norm Smith, is dual footed and has great awareness. Definetely trade Harry with him finally starting to hit a bit of form. As for Goldsack, pfft who needs a reliable utility who can play at either end or have stints on the wing?

Personally I don't think it goes far enough. Lets trade Pendles because a few weeks back he scored below 100 SC points, Clokey because he hasn't kicked a bag for a few weeks, Swan because besides for last week he's been down on his average and Beams because he hasn't done anything this season!

Seriously some people need to get in touch with reality. Sinclair and Clarke are viable players as they are FRINGE PLAYERS and NOT IN OUR LEADERSHIP GROUP. Whatever you think of Maxwell, he provides fantastic leadership and bleeds for this club. I don't think we'll be trading many, but I can imagine the before mentioned players as a couple of the ones potentially up for trade.

In terms of drafts. Please pick up Lewis Taylor, every time I see this kid play I just want to throw a five year contract his way. Don't care that he's a midget, just does everything right and dominates. I think we can pick up another negating defender pretty cheap because there will be a few around at clubs who have fallen out with coaches and a change in club/role might help them.

Might be in the market for another ruck too if both Jolly and Hudson go. Don't want to give up a first rounder for them though.

Ok yes, lets trade Sidebum..... lets trade Beamsy and Fas while we're at it aye?

Beams and Sidebottom are completely different situations. Sidebottom plays a role where we have a lot of currency, and to be honest I think he would be way more valuable to another club than he would for us. I'm not saying we definitely should trade him, but I'd be interested to see what market value he has.

It will all depend on list balance at the end of the day, if we have multiple guns in one position it would make sense to trade one to a club so we can gain a player in a position where we have lack currency.

The best example I can come up with is Brown/Keefe/Reid/Frost as we cannot possibly play all of them in the same side unless Keefe or Reid play forward and if thats the case than what happens when we have Keefe or Reid + Cloke/Paine/Goldsack in the forward line.

It's all good to say every one of the players that is good should be kept, but it isn't good for balance and if we played these guys in the 2's for long periods of time they'll end up just leaving on their own accord for less than what we would've gained to begin with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just out of curiosity, what is Swan's likely timeframe before he retires? I heard he has already mentioned retirement as not too far away.

You always looked at your best when Pendlebury, Swan and Beams were at their best. You have missed Beams a lot this year I think but would you expect another couple of seasons with the three of them together? Just curious in terms of the sorts of player who you would look at getting into the club in the next year or two?

I just really don't like the idea of shipping off blokes or getting heavily engaged with trading. We've had a lot of list turnover over the past 5 or so years. I'd like at least one or two years of consolidation where we don't trade or delist heaps of people, especially since this time around, our rookies and prospects look really promising.

I wouldn't delist anyone beyond bare necessities like Gault, Hartley and Yagmoor depending on form/recovery/potential. I'd offer up Sinkers as trade bait, maybe Clarke if Hine rates the depth of the draft or if it can fill a core need. But beyond that, don't mess with the list.

We'll be getting anywhere from 3-5 retirements this year anyway. So considering that, at least 3-5 and up to 10 spots will be available depending on what happens. And that's without entertaining silly notions like trading Maxwell, Sidebottom, Reid, Goldsack, Keeffe or O'Brien. Nab a few in the drafts/FA, then promote choice rookies like Dwyer and Martin.

We have a strong, core group of young players in the 18-23 age bracket that need continuity and stability to properly develop.
Screw culling, screw trading established players.

Sorry but this is one of the dumbest opinions I have read. No way do you trade premiership captains like that. Ludicrous!

I hate these type of threads. Just an opportunity for people to vent and demonstrate their contempt at their least liked player. And we are only 1/2 way through the season ffs.

Good lord there are some strange opinions in this thread. Trade away your captain? Thinking Clarke, Sinclair and Russell have any trade value whatsoever? Trade Sidebottom?!?!?!?!?

Sidebottom is one of those rare birds who plays better the bigger the game is. Would be one of the last players I'd consider trading. Especially as capped rotations are on the cards and he is an elite endurance machine. His value will only climb when rotations cap.

We have a stack of retirements this year (Johnson, Hudson, Didak at the very least). Jolly could easily retire (probably should). Maxwell might even retire.

Add a couple of delists (Hartley and maybe Yagmoor) and we have plenty of spots on the list for rookie elevations and some shrewd picks from Hine.

I would only look at trading out a player like Goldsack if it got us something essential for our short term needs, e.g. a mature bodied ruck to buy us a few years for Grundy to develope).

PLease delist Jordan Russell... please... biggest spud I've seen in a black and white jumper since Fanning or maybe Chris Egan...there's a very good reason Carlton didn't play him and then got rid of him folks... he's a huge scared, dithery SPUD who sets a bad tone for the whole defence.
I hope Dids has a great 2nd half of the year and is asked to go around another... same with Jolly and Krak and Jonno... why get rid of these guys? they are old but they are quality... make them earn their spots and if the younger guys do better then they are in the VFL. it creates a healthy competition for spots... the younger guys know if they don't perform Dids or Jolly or Jonno will replace them. Get rid of Yagmoor, try and trade Sinclair - give him more games this year to get his currency up then trade him, Trade Fasolo maybe, trade Clarke and turn over some guys from the VFL who just haven't come on enough but keep Dids, Jonno, Krak, Jolls, Huddo (maybe). Maybe trade Blair if we can get anything half decent for him. We need Daisy and Rambo and should do everything to keep them. Maxwell needs to be stripped of the captaincy and made to earn his spot.

Certainly don't mind the thought of entertaining what we could get for Sidebottom.

Everything is for sale at the right price, would be interesting to see what might come up.

He is someone I believe we can cover long term, just a thought.

Wtf has he done to guarantee himself a career at Collingwood? Nothing.

Everyone is expendable at the right price
Exactly.
You'd want some serious currency for a player like Sidebottom, but at the same time if you're out to trade hard and take some risks to build a team to win a premiership you can probably let fringe best 10 players like him go if you can land a superstar in return. Might live to regret it if he turns around and becomes a star the next year but that's the way it goes. Well he is star already but a superstar like Dane Swan or Pendles he s not.

Exactly.
You'd want some serious currency for a player like Sidebottom, but at the same time if you're out to trade hard and take some risks to build a team to win a premiership you can probably let fringe best 10 players like him go if you can land a superstar in return. Might live to regret it if he turns around and becomes a star the next year but that's the way it goes.

Correct, great post.

Some times its worth the risk. Do we stay content sitting 4-10 on the table? Or do we have a crack and make a bold move to try and secure a big name in a trade in an area that we are lacking?

Correct, great post.

Some times its worth the risk. Do we stay content sitting 4-10 on the table? Or do we have a crack and make a bold move to try and secure a big name in a trade in an area that we are lacking?
Yeah gee it's a tough call to make but a the committee has got to be ruthless sometimes and that might mean letting someone go who has been a loyal servant to the club and doesn't deserve the disrespect but that could be the difference between a premiership and coming third, no guts no glory. It might even cost you a premiership if you **** up and make ala st Kilda and Luke Ball. (Ha-ha)
There's a lot of family like values and loyalty and friendships that go in to football teams and there's got to be some negative result to dishing off really devoted loyal players on the chance of scoring a superstar so that's gotta be thought of too. Watch a movie like moneyball and you get an idea of how ruthless hard they trade in the baseball league and it makes you wonder if we might go that way here too.. trades happening all through the season that would be really interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Team 2014 (out: BJ, DJ, AD, AK, JR, DT, HS, JP, CG; in: JW, Adams, PK, Armstr, 6, 10, 67, Dwyer, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back