Elder van Berlo

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
A post in another thread reminded me of a couple of incidents that could potentially land Tex in hot water this week.

1. First quarter - pushes North opponent into goalpost. No idea what the MRP would make of this, if anything, because it's pretty unprecedented (not that precedent means anything, but you know what I mean). Could be nothing, could be unduly rough play or some other such rubbish. I guess there's 2 questions 1) can you be suspended for pushing someone into a post? and 2) should Tex be suspended this time for doing it? I tend to think the lack of any injury or real impact means the answer to 2) will be no, althought I suspect the answer to 1) is yes.

2. Last quarter - he either pushes (the North Melbourne) Scott Thompson with his foot, or kicks him while he's on the ground, depending on who you support. The umpire at the time would have had to have seen it - he had just given Tex a free kick - and didn't deem it worthy of reversing the free. I reckon Tex could be in strife here. I desperately hope not, and don't think he should be but in the current climate who knows? I note Robbo from the Herald Sun tweeted last night asking who the North player was (the height of lazy journalism), so apparently the trial by media has started...

Thoughts?

1. Yes you can get reported and no he shouldn't. Free kick only, as no damage was done.... if Grima got injured he would be in trouble.

2. There was SFA in the kick, if they let people off for giving eachother taps on the chin due to insufficent force this would surely fall into that category.

He should be playing next week.

Should be right for both I think. was very little force in them.
Also if Josh Hunt stepping on Betts hand gets nothing he should be fine...
you're right, he'll get 3 weeks...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have supported a fine or a reprimand for the push into the post. He is lucky that Grima didn't suffer any injury as he pushed him from close enough that Grima had no chance to brace himself. Not sure he meant it but it looked potentially nasty.

Absolutely nothing in the "kick".

To be honest I'm really liking how much of a mongrel Tex can be. He's not afraid to push his opponents around and get in their face when they botch it up. We dont have enough players who do this. Way too many astronauts, clean cut mr fantastics on our team.

That said, theres a fine line between physicality and dirty underhanded tactics and I wouldnt want to see Tex lose game time because of something off the play.

I would have supported a fine or a reprimand for the push into the post. He is lucky that Grima didn't suffer any injury as he pushed him from close enough that Grima had no chance to brace himself. Not sure he meant it but it looked potentially nasty.

Absolutely nothing in the "kick".
Those posts are covered in padding thick enough to protect players from impacts far more violent than Walker's push. Grima was never in any danger of being injured.

Robbo went to town on AFL 360 said it sends a bad message to lower leagues and then said Grima should have decked him. Contradiction much?
Considering the push was retaliation for him illegally pushing Walker under the ball in the preceding contest anyway...

To be honest I'm really liking how much of a mongrel Tex can be. He's not afraid to push his opponents around and get in their face when they botch it up. We dont have enough players who do this. Way too many astronauts, clean cut mr fantastics on our team.

That said, theres a fine line between physicality and dirty underhanded tactics and I wouldnt want to see Tex lose game time because of something off the play.

I'm in the same place as you are on this one. :thumbsu:

Tex is playing on the edge this year, and I think his performances have improved along with this increase in itensity.

He just has to be a bit careful that those niggles don't cross the line though - he got pretty close to it with that tap with the foot. Fortunately it wasn't a little bit harder or he'd be doing time.

Keep up the intensity by all means Tex, but just a little bit of thought about how it is directed, please. :)

Sheesh...can we not have threads implicating our players for trivial stuff, so the MRP can then dream something up and suspend our blokes! This is as bad as the OP with the 'we'll go top this week' thread. Tempting fate once again.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Tex vs MRP/Tribunal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back