Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with you, but Finn said he's also auditioning for 17 other clubs if we don't take him and we had not committed, so that's why he's there.
He did say this as well though:

"It'd be a dream come true if I did play there, I've been going for the Hawks my whole life so it'd be absolutely awesome," Maginness told AFL.com.au this week.

While I hope the club is not drawn into reaching for him if a bid comes earlier than they believe him to be worth, I feel like he could make us look silly if he doesn’t end up at the Hawks.

While I hope the club is not drawn into reaching for him if a bid comes earlier than they believe him to be worth, I feel like he could make us look silly if he doesn’t end up at the Hawks.

His testing, his form in the back end of the season and the power of work he's put in to become a better player this year are all amazing signs for a youngster. Wouldn't imagine there are many situations where we wouldn't match now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His testing, his form in the back end of the season and the power of work he's put in to become a better player this year are all amazing signs for a youngster. Wouldn't imagine there are many situations where we wouldn't match now.
he's testing well, but its only testing. Recruiters look at his games throughout the NAB League and Championships.

He looks a good prospect, but there are still at least 15 better kids than him. Aside from Rowell and Anderson who are clear top 2, the next 25-30 are very even

he's testing well, but its only testing. Recruiters look at his games throughout the NAB League and Championships.

He looks a good prospect, but there are still at least 15 better kids than him. Aside from Rowell and Anderson who are clear top 2, the next 25-30 are very even

A lot of recruiters questioned his pace to play outside and his readiness for the endurance requirements of the AFL.

You just contradicted yourself too, "at least 15 kids better than him" and "the next 25-30 are very even" - I agree that there is an even level of players that he's a part of, but he is testing better than them by a fair stretch.

These results could be the difference between being a pick 15 and a pick 25.

A lot of recruiters questioned his pace to play outside and his readiness for the endurance requirements of the AFL.

You just contradicted yourself too, "at least 15 kids better than him" and "the next 25-30 are very even" - I agree that there is an even level of players that he's a part of, but he is testing better than them by a fair stretch.

These results could be the difference between being a pick 15 and a pick 25.
It's just testing. A lot of good athletes did well at the combine and couldn't play, and vice-versa.

Most clubs will already have a very good idea on where they rate the draftees. Think this testing is moreso to rate players from pick 30 onwards.

Even group, but there are still quite a few ahead of Finn. These results aren't going to push Finn inside of pick 15. After that and it's anyone's guess where a bid comes from.

It's just testing. A lot of good athletes did well at the combine and couldn't play, and vice-versa.

Most clubs will already have a very good idea on where they rate the draftees. Think this testing is moreso to rate players from pick 30 onwards.

Even group, but there are still quite a few ahead of Finn. These results aren't going to push Finn inside of pick 15. After that and it's anyone's guess where a bid comes from.

Recruiters will look at Finn and judge his improvement over the course of the year. Fact is, he's gone from a bloke who was a chance for a late draft selection most of last year to a first rounder this year. His late season form in the NAB League and his final TAC Cup game would have gotten plenty of recruiters interested, the fact that he's testing so strongly and disproved a few of the criticisms levelled against him will only make them more interested.

Having watched a lot of the U18 stuff this year, there are not that many clearly ahead of him and the fact that he's placed so highly in both the sprint and the endurance tests is enough to garner interest from clubs looking at him.

If Sydney get a pick 9 from Carlton and keep it, they'd be looking at him strongly to apprentice Kennedy. If Essendon got that pick from Sydney in return for Daniher, they'd also look at him as the exact type of midfielder they need.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but it's not outside the realms of possibility.

Recruiters will look at Finn and judge his improvement over the course of the year. Fact is, he's gone from a bloke who was a chance for a late draft selection most of last year to a first rounder this year. His late season form in the NAB League and his final TAC Cup game would have gotten plenty of recruiters interested, the fact that he's testing so strongly and disproved a few of the criticisms levelled against him will only make them more interested.

Having watched a lot of the U18 stuff this year, there are not that many clearly ahead of him and the fact that he's placed so highly in both the sprint and the endurance tests is enough to garner interest from clubs looking at him.

If Sydney get a pick 9 from Carlton and keep it, they'd be looking at him strongly to apprentice Kennedy. If Essendon got that pick from Sydney in return for Daniher, they'd also look at him as the exact type of midfielder they need.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but it's not outside the realms of possibility.
It's not, but I just can't see either of them using 9 on Finn. Most phantom drafts had him around 16-20 mark recently, which has come in from 25-30 mid year. His carnival and late season NAB League form has put him in the frame, but he's still a back-end first rounder, at best.

It's not, but I just can't see either of them using 9 on Finn. Most phantom drafts had him around 16-20 mark recently, which has come in from 25-30 mid year. His carnival and late season NAB League form has put him in the frame, but he's still a back-end first rounder, at best.

Never underestimate how much clubs love players that have catapulted over the course of a season. It's normally a good sign of there being plenty of further development to come.

It only takes one club to rate him that high...

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back