• Thilthorpe

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Brown

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • O'Brien

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Pyke, Nicks has settled on his best 22-24. It’s now all about getting continuity into that group.
What if he's picked the wrong 22-24? What's the point in having a squad of 46? Surely Nicks isn't so arrogant to believe that his 22-24 isn't fluid and can't change as players come in and out of form. What about injuries? At what threshold does the injury need to be before a player isn't played. Is it 90% or 80% or 70% fitness? If this is his strategy then good luck trying to keep players not in the "chosen" group from looking at possibilities elsewhere. Why are we acting like a premiership contender with a team that's made up of players with 150 games experience and have already won a couple of flags in the last 3 years.

Last edited:
What if he's picked the wrong 22-24? What's the point in having a squad of 46? Surely Nicks isn't so arrogant to believe that his 22-24 isn't fluid and can't change as players come in and out of form. What about injuries? At what threshold does the injury need to be before a player isn't played. Is it 90% or 80% or 70% fitness? If this is his strategy then good luck trying to keep players not in the "chosen" group from looking at possibilities elsewhere. Why are we acting like a premiership contender with a team that's made up of players with 150 games experience and have already won a couple of flags in the last 3 years.

it's not arrogance, it's fear.

Milera, sholl, keays, crouch.. all four of them were sh*t last week..

Just fxxkn terrible.

How not even one of them has been dropped is a real worry..

Three of them are senior players.. the other has a few years under his belt now..

Nothings changed.

The “pick the seniors at all cost no matter the form” is still at the top of the list of selection policies and must be adhered to.

This club will never succeed again until the conservative fruitcakes running it are shown the door.

Apples and Oranges. For starters, there are personnel changes.
King 6.0, out. No Frampton, and so on.
We're a better team this year (especially with Rankine and Dawson). So are they, at least defensively (thanks, Ross :grimacing:).

Finally, even if the teams had the same personnel, last year's results have absolutely no bearing on this Sunday's game.
They are Independent Events.
Yes, it's totally an independent event that any time we've employed this one particular strategy we've lost the majority of the time.

Nicks confirmed my suspicisions, they want Worrell to get more match fitness before bringing back at AFL level. Only 1.5 games at SANFL level isn't enough in their view after a long layoff with a soft tissue injury. Also, seems like Keane is a fair way off selection; Nicks - 'he has areas of his game to work on, but we are happy with his progress'. They didn't ask about Borlase, but given he has been an emergency already this year and is performing well in the SANFL, he seems to be the next KPD in line.
I think that is pretty obvious and after 3 Hammys in 3 months

However we do have other tall defenders and I sort of don’t get not playing one of them

I’d have absolutely no sweat picking Borlaise or Keane this week ….. Borlaise has played on Mitch Georgiades this year and done ok and definitely has body size to compete now

And Keane has had a solid group of games and showed he’s not easy to get a kick on either

Just don’t see point of having guys like this on list if you don’t pick them in such a scenario

And on Borlaise , you’re never going to really know if he’s an afl listed player unless he gets tested …. Maybe he’s a good depth defender , he’s certainly improved despite lacking a bit of speed

Milera, sholl, keays, crouch.. all four of them were sh*t last week..

Just fxxkn terrible.

How not even one of them has been dropped is a real worry..

Three of them are senior players.. the other has a few years under his belt now..

Nothings changed.

The “pick the seniors at all cost no matter the form” is still at the top of the list of selection policies and must be adhered to.

This club will never succeed again until the conservative fruitcakes running it are shown the door.
Was actually one of milera’a ok games , he’s had 3 ok ones which isn’t enough

Crouch should be nowhere near the side and keays had his worst game for season but been solid overall including a couple of important jobs

Not sure who matches up on Mason wood on wing and I’d be inclined to make Sholl the sub

Not picking a tall defender to replace Murray and having crouch in the 25 are the 2 most glaring selection issues this week , both very poor calls

Yes, it's totally an independent event that any time we've employed this one particular strategy we've lost the majority of the time.
Correct. Last year's mistakes/losses are events that are Independent from this Sunday's game, in several ways.
Spare me the sarcasm, fair enough? I'm sure you know what I meant.

I agree that it's a crap strategy to go into a game with only one KPD when the opposition go tall in their forward line. This mistake has been repeated. When we do, we lose a majority of the time as you noted.
This is not one of those times.
Because the Saints will be without King (as big a loss for them as Murray is for us) it's generally agreed even by oppo supporters who've posted in here that they don't have a tall forward set up.

I'm more troubled by the retention of both Sholl and Milera who've been soft/ineffective, the possible reversion to an old mids' set-up if Crouch is selected for a full game and I hope Dawson is not sent back at the start of the game.
I was not happy that Worrell was not given a go, but Nicks explained in his presser that they're keen on Worrell who appears not to be AFL-fit yet after his hammie.

I think that is pretty obvious and after 3 Hammys in 3 months

However we do have other tall defenders and I sort of don’t get not playing one of them

I’d have absolutely no sweat picking Borlaise or Keane this week ….. Borlaise has played on Mitch Georgiades this year and done ok and definitely has body size to compete now

And Keane has had a solid group of games and showed he’s not easy to get a kick on either

Just don’t see point of having guys like this on list if you don’t pick them in such a scenario

And on Borlaise , you’re never going to really know if he’s an afl listed player unless he gets tested …. Maybe he’s a good depth defender , he’s certainly improved despite lacking a bit of speed
What is the point of Borlase being on our list if he is not in the AFL side this week.

He should be a depth player by now. Plug in when ever Butts and Murray are out.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What if he's picked the wrong 22-24?
Fair question, which applies to any Head Coach, really.
If he has, it'll be reflected in our results. Bad results will get Nicks sacked.

I tend to agree (with 1970crow) that Nicks' selections are fear-based.
Not so much fear of losses but of big losses which will make his position untenable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was actually one of milera’a ok games , he’s had 3 ok ones which isn’t enough

Crouch should be nowhere near the side and keays had his worst game for season but been solid overall including a couple of important jobs

Not sure who matches up on Mason wood on wing and I’d be inclined to make Sholl the sub

Not picking a tall defender to replace Murray and having crouch in the 25 are the 2 most glaring selection issues this week , both very poor calls
Still not sure how Crouch got in ahead of Hately and even Schoenberg (who I've been critical of).

Played an average game against Centrals
Travelling emergency
Sub
Now a full game?

Worrell needs another game or two in ressies. He looks to be gaining confidence in his hammy but his touch is not quite there. If he can get through this week or next I am sure he will be in best 22

Parnell is excellent addition. He deserves his spot from form in pre season and in twos in last few weeks. Provides run and dare and good ball use and is different to other players in defence can play on Higgins Gresham and butler and other smalls

My biggest concern is the talls tex fog and filthy all got out marked and out played last week. They could not make every high ball a contest so our smalls Rachele Rankine Pedlar and Murphy could get crumbs they must be more competitive this week

Big week for sholl. Is he going to fade out like he has in past seasons after 5
Or so games at start of year or can he put in a really important performance and turn around last weeks form where he looked meek in defensive action

I was disappointed that borlase could not make the emergency list at least. his form this year has been very good and a substantial improvement on last year. Deserves a go soon

Nank and cook must also be pressing to play. Both are showing more consistency and confidence at SANFL level and are displaying skills more frequently which are above this standard

Keane after an excellent start has been playing solidly but not to the level I had hoped for after his first few games. Maybe a lack of preseason is starting to kick in. I think he has a future but his form and absence recently were not conducive to a call up this week

Both Milera and Sholl, thinking:
"Good thing I don't have to play well to keep my spot".
Milera
Golden Ticket GIF by Allan SmokeBuddy

Looking at the bench you would suggest that Max, Sloane and Rachele are playing (unless Josh is injured).

That leaves one spot.

Will we drop TT after his dismal effort last week? Could that mean Himmelberg comes in as a defender?

OR, will we repeat the Richmond selection philosophy and try to cover 'in case' and name Himmelberg as a sub?

Nothing is beyond the realm of possibility with our coaches.

Didn’t he miss about 8-9 weeks and wasn’t it a hammie ?
And has played 6 quarters back?
And the coaches have talked him up as a first 22?

I think Josh will be feeling fine

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
And Burgess is glowing about the 2023 Josh Worrell's preparation and attitude during his rehab.

It's pretty obvious Josh has full buy in and will considered when up to full match fitness.

I was disappointed that borlase could not make the emergency list at least. his form this year has been very good and a substantial improvement on last year. Deserves a go soon

Nank and cook must also be pressing to play. Both are showing more consistency and confidence at SANFL level and are displaying skills more frequently which are above this standard

Keane after an excellent start has been playing solidly but not to the level I had hoped for after his first few games. Maybe a lack of preseason is starting to kick in. I think he has a future but his form and absence recently were not conducive to a call up this week
Apparently woke up with a sore neck last week was the reason he missed which wouldn't have helped his selection prospects this week.

I think our inside 50 pressure has been lacking, some are underestimating what McAdam brought up forward.

Which preseason game was it that we were frantic at keeping the ball in there? Seems to have disappeared.
It's crazy how quick everyone has jumped off McAdam.

Our forward line looks more dangerous with him in it.

I think our inside 50 pressure has been lacking, some are underestimating what McAdam brought up forward.

Which preseason game was it that we were frantic at keeping the ball in there? Seems to have disappeared.
I think many underestimate what McAdam does. Gets type cast as just a 3rd-4th peg forward who can attack in the air , but his pressure at ground level is immense when he's switched on, which has been pretty consistently the past 3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview The No Changes Thread: Crows v Saints, Sun May 14th, 12:40pm

Back