The official Dalziell versus Staker thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Staker has the points so far.;)

Strange to see Razzle Dazzle struggling so far, given how he really burst onto the scene for us... hopefully he picks up when the really footy starts.

Dazzle will be cutting his slack in the WAFL. No chance for Round 1 whatsoever. Wont even make the list of emergencies im afraid

The fact that it was Big Cox who said this makes me immediately inclined to believe the opposite. Mate aren't you just sick of making up controversial crap and claiming it as though it's obviously true?

Well it seems obvious why the Eagles traded for Dalziell.He's quick,brave and a battler,but his disposal is woeful!Doesn't look as if he could hit the side of a barn with a bucket of wheat from a range of two feet ! :(

I wouldnt say that Staker played for himself, I think he just lacks concentration. When he is able to stay involved through a whole game he is Adam Goodes like but usually he gets lost and his workrate drops off as a result.

Thats the impression I got anyway rather then him choosing when he decides to play or not. So he is stupid rather then vain lol.

i was tempted to mention 'airhead', but held off - ( something is not quite there)-anyway youve said it for me..thanks.

Well it seems obvious why the Eagles traded for Dalziell.He's quick,brave and a battler,but his disposal is woeful!Doesn't look as if he could hit the side of a barn with a bucket of wheat from a range of two feet ! :(

the disposal thing is odd..when he first came over,there were vidclips posted here of him running,receiving,and kicking goals,setshots or otherwise,from flank and pocket if i recall..he seemed well balanced in the skills dept..i guess if he doesnt turn out to be a regular 22, its not a drama,we have the depth it seems.but he looks like a persistent workhorse with run to me.a good link up player if on song.

anyway with all this young pool bubbling underneath to get a spot in the 22, it really forces the starting 22 to step up and play at their best-eg;nicoski,rosa etc-the questionmark or flak-copping players..its what weve lacked for past 2 years,the rising pressure,which of course was why we were so abysmal.so apart from 'young gun star stuff',hopefully some seniors(and mid tier) will turn it on and surprise us this season.

Whilst I had grown frustrated with the way Staker always "tempted" with his ability, but was never consistent, the simple fact was that he was always part of WC's best 22. If for nothing else his size and speed made it hard to match up on, he had beautiful hands and a delightful kick.

I just cant see what Dalziell brought to the table that made Worsfold so keen to make the trade. Sure he can run all day, but so can Houlihan and to a lesser extent Rosa. I have no doubt Dalziell will improve as he gets used to WC's style of play, but I'm not sure he is going to offer anything more than what was already available on the list.

Whilst I had grown frustrated with the way Staker always "tempted" with his ability, but was never consistent, the simple fact was that he was always part of WC's best 22. If for nothing else his size and speed made it hard to match up on, he had beautiful hands and a delightful kick.

I just cant see what Dalziell brought to the table that made Worsfold so keen to make the trade. Sure he can run all day, but so can Houlihan and to a lesser extent Rosa. I have no doubt Dalziell will improve as he gets used to WC's style of play, but I'm not sure he is going to offer anything more than what was already available on the list.

Satker lost us a GF in 05 (free on 50 and could not puick up the ball) and has had 1-3 good games a season since. he wanted to go so we got what we could. We won even if all dalziell does is apply pressure on the track.

Satker lost us a GF in 05 (free on 50 and could not puick up the ball) and has had 1-3 good games a season since. he wanted to go so we got what we could. We won even if all dalziell does is apply pressure on the track.

No what lost us that GF was Banfield hitting the post from 30m out on the run with no pressure. A goal at that stage would have put WC up by 19 pts with about 8 mins left to play - and they would have held at Syd at bay with that lead.

Having Matera, Lynch and Braun out all injured didnt help, as well as playing a half fit Gardiner and the tribunal allowing Hall to play after he tried to rearrange Maguire's solar plexes behind the play in the semi.

The stars were so aligned for Syd in Sept 05, that it was a minor miracle WC were even that close.

No what lost us that GF was Banfield hitting the post from 30m out on the run with no pressure. A goal at that stage would have put WC up by 19 pts with about 8 mins left to play - and they would have held at Syd at bay with that lead.

Having Matera, Lynch and Braun out all injured didnt help, as well as playing a half fit Gardiner and the tribunal allowing Hall to play after he tried to rearrange Maguire's solar plexes behind the play in the semi.

The stars were so aligned for Syd in Sept 05, that it was a minor miracle WC were even that close.

Correct weight Drew Banfield seems to get of so lightly for such a easy shot on goal.
He lost us that grand final, no excuse for missing that shot.

I thought I was alone in thinking that missed shot was the turning point of the match, crucial miss remember cursing at the time he missed.

If he had nailed it, we would of won, simple as that

It is strange, his disposal has never been perfect, but he had an amazing ability to find free space.

Every single time we would be looking for a target coming out of the backline and there he would be. He could burn off any opponent put on him.

He still can. At the NAB cup opener against the Don's he ran like a man possessed but wasn't rewarded. In fact I haven't seen someone run that hard since Cousins. I think it will change once he gets to know his teammates playing style a bit better.

Correct weight Drew Banfield seems to get of so lightly for such a easy shot on goal.
He lost us that grand final, no excuse for missing that shot.

I thought I was alone in thinking that missed shot was the turning point of the match, crucial miss remember cursing at the time he missed.

If he had nailed it, we would of won, simple as that
Michael Gardiner did that twice. It was a combination of his shit performance and the coaches selecting Travis Gaspar instead of Rojo that cost us the Grandy imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Staker had ample chances.
He proved many a time he wasnt going to make it at our club.
He wanted to leave and we were paying him too much.

I dont think for a second that WC ever thought Dalziell was ahead of Staker,
but he had showed enough signs and his strengths were well suited to Subi and West Coast's style.
He wanted to return home and for much less money.

Neither of these guys will be champions im afraid.

But having Dalziell instead of Staker means there is a chance he can prove his worth and if he doesnt it means we've freed up money to give to our other young stars when they all need to sign new contracts.

I think Dalziell could become a useful outlet when coming out of defence. He has the knack of finding space and could easily provide a leading target out on the wing to relieve the pressure. Similar to what Rojo did between wing and hff.

The defenders cop all the stick for the poor disposal, but for the most part its because they have very few options to actually kick to. Hopefully Dalziell makes it easier for the defenders who can't spear 60m passes ;)

His disposal has looked pretty iffy so far, and IMO is not ready for senior selection, but given some time in the WAFL, he should be able to build up some good form and play a role in our side.

I am not trolling, from a Lions perspective I think this will turn out to be a good trade for both teams. Interesting that the Lions picked Dalziell as a mature age with a pick in the fifties. No other team was interested. His first 6 games in 2008 were amazing. He was picking up 30 plus possesions per game and his trademark was gut busting running. I remember one passage of play where he bounced and carried the ball from half back and hit Brownie lace out on the lead at full forward. Last year he seemed to lose his way after injury, and was never the same player. Hopefully he can regain form for you the talent is still there.

I am quite excited about Staker. I watched him last week against the Hawks and he was very good. We had an inter club game today and he has fitted in very well, very strong in the air, and hard at it. He will be a great foil to JB and Fev. I know he has been inconsistent for you guys, but maybe the change is what he needed.

By the way WA has been kind to us with Black, Rich, McGrath, Leunberger etc. The next big thing I reckon will be Todd Banfield, how you or Freo didn't pick him up I don't know. Pick 41 2008.

By the way WA has been kind to us with Black, Rich, McGrath, Leunberger etc. The next big thing I reckon will be Todd Banfield, how you or Freo didn't pick him up I don't know. Pick 41 2008.

I'm a big fan of Banfield's. He's bloody quick and loves to carry the footy. He has ideal winger attributes.

Matt Peach from Swan Districts said before the draft that he expected him to surprise and go higher then most people expect. Whether that was due to a lack of media exposure or due to few clubs being really interested is unknown.

I agree with that. We already have multiple players who can play his position and play at the same level as Dalziell. What did we gain? I am pretty sure we will look back and say that that Brisbane got the best out of this trade by a long way. Annoying thing is that we didn't even shop him around to see what else we might have been able to get.

I agree with that. We already have multiple players who can play his position and play at the same level as Dalziell. What did we gain? I am pretty sure we will look back and say that that Brisbane got the best out of this trade by a long way. Annoying thing is that we didn't even shop him around to see what else we might have been able to get.

Not only did we swap Dalziell for Staker but we threw in #39 as well. I know Stenglein was not delisted till after the ND which meant that this pick (or subsequent ones) was never going to be used, but I am still confused as to why WC went down this pathway. Its not as though WC's team is so good that they would have breached the salary cap by paying Stenglein in 09 money, and if they did then there are some serious miscalculations somewhere.
Nothing against Neates but I'd rather bet on my chances of getting something worthwhile at #39 then waiting another 50 odd picks.

Well 007 we could have thrown in Nicoksi and 39 to upgrade a pick.

I wanted to get 4 picks in the ND and then one in the PSD. We still have the same amount of list cloggers as last year and id be dissapointed if we didn't use two picks in the 2010 National Draft.

Hansen and Nicoski's contracts begger belief.

Remove this Banner Ad

The official Dalziell versus Staker thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back