Analysis The rebuild of Carlton and Brisbane and their future prospects

Which team has the better future prospects on-field?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm telling you to drop off, it had nothing to do with you UNDERSTAND.

I understand the point you are making, however you don't seem to understand the point I am making. Regardless of whether or not you were talking to someone else, you still insulted someone, and by telling me to "forget the insults" you're trying to tell me to do something you are unable to do.

If I go around insulting others, then in another conversation with another person and tell them not to insult someone, that is hypocritical and that is what I'm getting at.

You're still going.

Showing someone that they are wrong is not insulting them, you are just too stubborn to admit when you are wrong, then chuck the toys out of the cot when people show you up.
I was replying to the Bribane posters comment that said Carlton should have tried to get Goddard. They did try, whoever knocked whoever back doesn't really matter. If i was wrong that he knocked Carlton back so be it, but i was right in saying Carlton tried.

I was replying to the Bribane posters comment that said Carlton should have tried to get Goddard. They did try, whoever knocked whoever back doesn't really matter. If i was wrong that he knocked Carlton back so be it, but i was right in saying Carlton tried.
I agreed with you that they tried, i pointed out that it was Carlton who knocked him back.

Then you said i was a bully for saying it. BWHahahahaha

I agreed with you that they tried, i pointed out that it was Carlton who knocked him back.

Then you said i was a bully for saying it. BWHahahahaha
I take back the bully bit mate, you sound like an idiot.

It all goes back to your original post, you were wrong. The post above says it all about you.
This was my original post to you:
where does it say this?
In relation to you saying that Carlton trying for goddard but goddard knocking them back.
Once again, Carlton didn't make any offer. Obviously you don't want to admit when you are wrong thats fine.

I’ve been a bit bullish on the lions hype train sighting a bit of luck no injuries
But after watching them yesterday irrespective of how this season pans out they will play finals the next 4 years and a premiership threat in 2021
There confidence composer and cohesion as a team is great to watch!
The blues well...

Have Carlton or Richmond constructed the better pool of young assets?

Carlton are in the media spotlight currently but the fact remains they have a good young list; which should be climbing the ladder one year sooner or later. Nathan Brown nominated 13 carlton all Australians to be.

How does Richmond compare to this vast talent pool?

Stack v Walsh.
RCD v Stocker.
Balta v Curnow
CCJ v McKay
Dow v Ross
OBrien v Higgins
Weitering v Garthwaite

etc.

Outside of the following list of draftees of the last four/five draft periods - carlton have also acquired some player in this age bracket via trades in the spirit of a fair comparison.

Carlton

upcoming draft draft picks. nominal order as of round 10
Carlton: 12, 37, 48, 70, 84

(prior to potential AFL-Carlton priority draft picks)

National 1 1 Sam Walsh
National 1 19 Liam Stocker
National 4 66 Finbar O'Dwyer
National 5 70 Ben Silvagni F
Rookie 1 1 Hugh Goddard
Rookie 2 19 Tomas Bugg

National 1 3 Paddy Dow
National 1 10 Lochie O'Brien
National 2 30 Tom De Koning
National 4 70 Angus Schumacher
National 5 78 Jarrod Garlett

National 1 6 Sam Petrevski-Seton
National 2 27 Zac Fisher
National 3 47 Harrison Macreadie
National 4 59 Cameron Polson
National 4 61 Tom Williamson
National 4 65 Pat Kerr
Rookie 1 5 Kym LeBois
Rookie 2 23 Alex Silvagni

National 1 1 Jacob Weitering
National 1 10 Harry McKay
National 1 12 Charlie Curnow
National 1 23 David Cuningham
National 4 53 Jack Silvagni

2014: draft fail; Blaine Boekhorst, Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

Richmond

Richmond: 15, 33, 38, 69, 72

National 1 20 Riley Collier-Dawkins
National 2 43 Jack Ross
National 4 58 Fraser Turner
National 4 62 Luke English
Rookie 1 16 Jake Aarts
Rookie 2 32 Jacob Townsend
Rookie 3 45 Mabior Chol

National 1 17 Jack Higgins
National 2 20 Callum Coleman-Jones
National 2 25 Noah Balta
National 2 34 Patrick Naish
National 4 63 Ben Miller
Rookie 1 18 Liam Baker

National 2 29 Shai Bolton
National 3 53 Jack Graham
National 5 72 Ryan Garthwaite
Rookie 1 6 Tyson Stengle Adelaide [trade]

National 1 15 Daniel Rioli
National 3 50 Oleg Markov
National 5 67 Nathan Broad
Rookie 1 12 Callum Moore

2014: draft pass; Kane Lambert (27 years old), Jason Castagna (22), Ivan Soldo (23), Connor Menadue (22), Daniel Butler (22), Jayden Short (23), Corey Ellis [trade suns]

Have Carlton or Richmond constructed the better pool of young assets?

Carlton are in the media spotlight currently but the fact remains they have a good young list; which should be climbing the ladder one year sooner or later. Nathan Brown nominated 13 carlton all Australians to be.

How does Richmond compare to this vast talent pool?

Stack v Walsh.
RCD v Stocker.
Balta v Curnow
CCJ v McKay
Dow v Ross
OBrien v Higgins
Weitering v Garthwaite

etc.

Outside of the following list of draftees of the last four/five draft periods - carlton have also acquired some player in this age bracket via trades in the spirit of a fair comparison.

Carlton

Carlton: 12, 37, 48, 70, 84

(prior to potential AFL-Carlton priority draft picks)

National 1 1 Sam Walsh
National 1 19 Liam Stocker
National 4 66 Finbar O'Dwyer
National 5 70 Ben Silvagni F
Rookie 1 1 Hugh Goddard
Rookie 2 19 Tomas Bugg

National 1 3 Paddy Dow
National 1 10 Lochie O'Brien
National 2 30 Tom De Koning
National 4 70 Angus Schumacher
National 5 78 Jarrod Garlett

National 1 6 Sam Petrevski-Seton
National 2 27 Zac Fisher
National 3 47 Harrison Macreadie
National 4 59 Cameron Polson
National 4 61 Tom Williamson
National 4 65 Pat Kerr
Rookie 1 5 Kym LeBois
Rookie 2 23 Alex Silvagni

National 1 1 Jacob Weitering
National 1 10 Harry McKay
National 1 12 Charlie Curnow
National 1 23 David Cuningham
National 4 53 Jack Silvagni

2014: draft fail; Blaine Boekhorst, Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

Richmond

Richmond: 15, 33, 38, 69, 72

National 1 20 Riley Collier-Dawkins
National 2 43 Jack Ross
National 4 58 Fraser Turner
National 4 62 Luke English
Rookie 1 16 Jake Aarts
Rookie 2 32 Jacob Townsend
Rookie 3 45 Mabior Chol

National 1 17 Jack Higgins
National 2 20 Callum Coleman-Jones
National 2 25 Noah Balta
National 2 34 Patrick Naish
National 4 63 Ben Miller
Rookie 1 18 Liam Baker

National 2 29 Shai Bolton
National 3 53 Jack Graham
National 5 72 Ryan Garthwaite
Rookie 1 6 Tyson Stengle Adelaide [trade]

National 1 15 Daniel Rioli
National 3 50 Oleg Markov
National 5 67 Nathan Broad
Rookie 1 12 Callum Moore

2014: draft pass; Kane Lambert (27 years old), Jason Castagna (22), Ivan Soldo (23), Connor Menadue (22), Daniel Butler (22), Jayden Short (23), Corey Ellis [trade suns]
Whats that got to do with Brisbane vs Carlton?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is this meant to show?

For the match, St Kilda had a median age of 23yrs 256 days and experience of 70 games

Carlton has a median age of 22yrs 90 days and experience of 51.5 games

It was a pretty awful performance by Carlton, but even then the far younger, less experienced team only lost by 13 points.

What is this meant to show?

For the match, St Kilda had a median age of 23yrs 256 days and experience of 70 games

Carlton has a median age of 22yrs 90 days and experience of 51.5 games

It was a pretty awful performance by Carlton, but even then the far younger, less experienced team only lost by 13 points.

Why are we using median instead of average? Simpson Kruezer etc. are still important players for the Blues. Theyd be significantly worse with (more) kids in the team instead of them.

The saints had eight players with 21 or less games - its a pretty young side too. No excuses this week.

This was my original post to you:

In relation to you saying that Carlton trying for goddard but goddard knocking them back.
Once again, Carlton didn't make any offer. Obviously you don't want to admit when you are wrong thats fine.
Mate they had a meeting maybe Carlton decided he wasn't the right fit for them, but they still tried.
Why are we using median instead of average? Simpson Kruezer etc. are still important players for the Blues. Theyd be significantly worse with (more) kids in the team instead of them.

The saints had eight players with 21 or less games - its a pretty young side too. No excuses this week.
We are not making excuses, got a lot of work to do. The highest score wins the game, we have to work on our forward set up.

Median is a better fit because of the non-normal distribution and the low sample size. Simpson is an important player but I’d much rather have 28 year old Simpson than the 35 year old version. The latter skews the data though.

It also just makes more sense.
Median gives a measure of the ‘midpoint’ of the team. Half the players are over and half under - it’s a pretty easy measure to understand. Compared with the mean which measures... ???

That said, there’s no excuses for the last 2 weeks. We have a very young team; we also played absolutely terribly in both matches

Median is a more accurate measure of central tendency than mean. Mean data is rejected by every scientist and engineer.

Last edited:
Median is a more accurate measure of central tendency than mean. Mean data is rejected by every sciencist and engineer.

yeah but its a game of footy not building a bridge - Kreuzer is a gun once every few years when he gets a good run at it. Its a bit dehumanizing to remove him from the conversation. If Carlton replaced Kreuzer with yet another 19 year old*, for example - they would be an even worst team.

That carlton are on the brink of losing a lot of good older player in Kreuzer and Murphy is a worry given how barren the middle range of the list is

* De Koning, Tom (19), Goddard (22), Kerr (20)...

Last edited:
yeah but its a game of footy not building a bridge - Kreuzer is a gun once every few years when he gets a good run at it. Its a bit dehumanizing to remove him from the conversation. If Carlton replaced Kreuzer with yet another 19 year old*, for example - they would be an even worst team.

That carlton are on the brink of losing a lot of good older player in Kreuzer and Murphy is a worry given how barren the middle range of the list is

* De Koning, Tom (19), Goddard (22), Kerr (20)...

Yeah, im not arguing against that. I im just saying.
Simpson isn't even an outlier despite how old he is so technically shouldn't be removed either. However, I think perspective needs to stated because average age doesn't paint the whole picture

Bugg, Lang, Kennedy, Gartlett, Goddard, Pickett, Fasolo. Seven injury prone recycled players giving zilch to season 2019. That's on Sos, shocking recruiting In hindsight. Will cost Bolton his job and set the blues back. Definition of list cloggers.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk
Kennedy, Goddard, Lang and Fasolo all feature in the bests in our NB side, some reguarly. Its good to have decent depth even if they cost nothing. Kennedy earnt his spot against the Saints for example. Wanna talk about the ones that have been fantastic for us too?

Median is a more accurate measure of central tendency than mean. Mean data is rejected by every sciencist and engineer.
What absolute dribble.

There is no such thing as more accurate, the specific data set and what your are actually trying to convey will dictate which of mode, median or mean provides any value.

What value does median provide in this context?

StKilda’s 11th most experienced player had played 68 games and their 12th most experienced player 72, so a ‘median’ of 70.

Compared to Carlton’s 11th most experienced had played 49 and 12th most experienced 52, for a median of 50.5

But what does that tell you? What if the Saints had 10 guys with under 15 games??

Apart from detailing how many games the 11th most experienced player on the ground had played for each team what is median telling you?

It was the Saints that had a glut of really inexperienced players, 8 under 25 to just 4, the total games played by the respective inexperienced 11 was just 285 for StKilda compared to 305 from Carton’s least inexperienced 11.

StKilda were playing more raw kids.
Median doesn’t afford any special additional value.

Saints had the more raw kids, Saints also didn’t have the experienced veterans that the Blues had, but the Saints had 8 guys in the 50-100 games zone compared to just 6 for Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The rebuild of Carlton and Brisbane and their future prospects

Back