Analysis The rebuild of Carlton and Brisbane and their future prospects

Which team has the better future prospects on-field?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Carlton actually going any better this year?

Last year in rd1 the Blues performance was just as good as this year, if not better. They were winning at half time, and it was only losing a couple of players in game that allowed Richmond to pull away in the last quarter.

Last year they had a similar performance against Port, ie within a kick at 3/4 time before losing by 3 goals.

They performed better against Sydney this time, but Sydney themselves don’t look like a finals side like they were in 2018.

In 2018 they lost to the Suns by 5 goals early in the year, so is that the pass mark this weekend?? A good result for Carlton is getting within 5 goals of the Suns!!

The port game this year was away, but the Sydney one you are about right.

We do need to actually show something tangible for our efforts. But early on last year we were destroyed by north in Hobart by 86 points, hopefully we don’t see any of that

Even if Weitering goes onto become a quality KPD which is hardly guaranteed how many KPD's in the league taken over the last decade or so would you really want to use pick 1 on? Rance? Anyone else?

Think beyond the current pool of players. It's entirely possible that SOS looked at Weitering and saw the next SOS. Now Weitering is almost certainly not going to be that good, but the point is that no matter what the position, a player is worth #1 if the team picking there thinks he's a generational talent, or simply just head amd shoulders above the best midfielder as a prospect.

Think beyond the current pool of players. It's entirely possible that SOS looked at Weitering and saw the next SOS. Now Weitering is almost certainly not going to be that good, but the point is that no matter what the position, a player is worth #1 if the team picking there thinks he's a generational talent, or simply just head amd shoulders above the best midfielder as a prospect.

Weitering is on track for an excellent season, if his first 3 games are anything to go by.

Oliver was a bolter to pick 4. No way he was going pick one. It was either Weitering or Schache on every draft watcher’s list, so meaningless hindsight bias is in full swing here.

Who claimed that? The poster said SOS didn’t have much currency when he arrived at the club; and he didn’t. He got one pick in each round like every other club. He squeezed everything possible from a wooden spoon list in deals for Menzel, Yarran, Henderson, Tuohy, Bell, Gibbs to get extra picks for guys like Curnow, McKay, Cunningham, O’Brien, Kennedy, McGovern.

There’s no hiding behind anything. Carlton are a young and developing side. You can either acknowledge reality or deny it, but it is what it is.
I would have taken Oliver at pick 2 and said as much in the 2015 draft thread I was fan of Oliver and wasn't a massive fan of Schache but the Lions were always going take the key forward at pick2 to have someone to replace Brown

To be Fair, that I dont know.

very interesting question given Carlton are in the good position of getting a two for one - where as Adelaide are potentially also in a good position of draft pick number one

I was looking at the Adelaide-Carlton trade in its entirety, but thank you for checking

This kind of trade is always a big risk. Melbourne could have Kelly running around instead of Salem.

I would have taken Oliver at pick 2 and said as much in the 2015 draft thread I was fan of Oliver and wasn't a massive fan of Schache but the Lions were always going take the key forward at pick2 to have someone to replace Brown

Then I respect your opinion on Oliver’s draft position far more than the Hindsight Harry’s who wait 4 years before telling everyone who should have been selected where.

If Gold Coast and Brisbane are better than us earlier, so be it.

We should compare how we are going to how we were going last year, which is currently better but need something tangible to show for it.

The wins will come soon enough, key metrics are already looking better this season, and the side cohesion has improved.

Not a lot can be over done, or there could be a reflective cause of narrative.

No, I have been along that area of reflection

If we lose to GC this week - there isn't much doubt we will collect another spoon. Also, if we lose this weekend - we will be 0-4 with the next gettable game looking like our bunnies in round 11.

If Carlton were 0-10 despite looking more competitive in their honourable losses, can Bolton survive? Should Bolton survive that? His first season was easily his best and he has been tracking backwards ever since.
I mean, I know this is definitely not the point of the thread, but if we win this weekend we're going to be 3 - 1 with our only loss being 1 point. So the evidence really doesn't point to 'losing to GC makes you a wooden spoon favourite', at least at this point in the year, given that we've already beaten 2 other teams - who are also 2 - 1 at this point.

I mean, I know this is definitely not the point of the thread, but if we win this weekend we're going to be 3 - 1 with our only loss being 1 point. So the evidence really doesn't point to 'losing to GC makes you a wooden spoon favourite', at least at this point in the year, given that we've already beaten 2 other teams - who are also 2 - 1 at this point.

It’s only we will definitely won’t be spoon if you accept no one is capable of finishing lower than us than Gold Coast.

I am not convinced of this fact.

It's never as good as it seems and never as bad as it seems, Not a huge amount of difference between these rebuilds.

Blues need more class and Lions need more grunt.

Yeh na..
Check out the best and fairest results from each team last year. Lions youth, Carlton were all the oldies..

Lions will be 5 an 2 come round 7 IMO. Just needto work on tempo footy.

Scary thing is Carlton list will get worst next year and will still have sos throwing picks out the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh na..
Check out the best and fairest results from each team last year. Lions youth, Carlton were all the oldies..

Lions will be 5 an 2 come round 7 IMO. Just needto work on tempo footy.

Scary thing is Carlton list will get worst next year and will still have sos throwing picks out the door.
Feel free to delete your last post. What rubbish.

SOS has done amazing. We just had the youngest midfield in the AFL annihilate one of the best groups. SPS, Walsh, Dow, Fisher, LOB (tagged hunter), and let’s not forget Cripps.

McKay, McGovern, Weitering all had blinders. Not sure if Dogs had many inside 50 marks. All SOS.

Before the Adelaide game v GC Carlton were receiving pick 4 for pick 5 and Stocker (dominated at VFL, takes kick ins, goes at 90% DE). Oh yes. That was SOS too.

SOS has done amazing. We just had the youngest midfield in the AFL annihilate one of the best groups. SPS, Walsh, Dow, Fisher, LOB (tagged hunter), and let’s not forget Cripps.

McKay, McGovern, Weitering all had blinders. Not sure if Dogs had many inside 50 marks. All SOS.

Before the Adelaide game v GC Carlton were receiving pick 4 for pick 5 and Stocker (dominated at VFL, takes kick ins, goes at 90% DE). Oh yes. That was SOS too.

Get back to me when you have won 3 games like the lions have 👍

Sos has done so well 😂😂 yeh how does he nail those pick ones so well ..
Shaw.bugg.Kerr.palmer.smedts.fas.lobbe.asos.

Just don't let him trade and you might get to 5 wins next year👍

Get back to me when you have won 3 games like the lions have 👍

Sos has done so well 😂😂 yeh how does he nail those pick ones so well ..
Shaw.bugg.Kerr.palmer.smedts.fas.lobbe.asos.

Just don't let him trade and you might get to 5 wins next year👍
We’ve not lost like the lions have twice. I’m happy with that.

Ah yes , classic Carlton fan

Team loses= bolten is shit
Team wins=SOS is amazing 😍

Ah yes , classic Carlton fan

Team loses= bolten is shit
Team wins=SOS is amazing 😍
I’ve not once bagged my club, my coach nor my list manager. It’s media who’ve bagged us pillar to post and trolls on here. We defend the club when we lose and we celebrate and take aim at the trolls when we win. It’s our time.

That has won against the premier's 😂
They lost there best player to the pies a top 10 player in the afl. If the blues lost cripps they would get smashed
Lol. They replaced beams with a better player, younger and cleaner with disposal. Don’t go making up things to suit your narrative. They beat a hungover west coast at home. Losing Cripps in a similar fashion would be equivalent to losing Cripps but gaining Nat Fyfe.

Lol. They replaced beams with a better player, younger and cleaner with disposal. Don’t go making up things to suit your narrative. They beat a hungover west coast at home. Losing Cripps in a similar fashion would be equivalent to losing Cripps but gaining Nat Fyfe.

Huh 🙄 so the umps and media,pies team are all wrong about beams ? I'm sorry but this is to funny ...
neale has a killer start to the year but to say he is better than beams 😂😂

Any first year midfielders at Brisbane averaging - 27 disposals a game - Walsh - elite for mid let alone a first year player

Any second year midfielders at Brisbane average 20 disposals a game - Dow probably the equivalent of mccluggage but a year younger is Dow.

Any third year midfielders averaging 22 disposals a game - Fisher and SPS both doing this. Berry and mccluggage average around the same. SPS and fisher are quickly catching and going past them who don’t defend very well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The rebuild of Carlton and Brisbane and their future prospects

Back