The Review

Who will leave as a result of the review?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I ran into Fages a few weeks ago and asked him about the emails he gets since I have emailed him in the past and always received a response. He reckons he gets about 20 emails after a loss, so really not that many. Have always found him to be quite candid in his responses as well
Did he say how many tweets?

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could not help but notice a chasm developing in the club and that is leadership, and I am not talking about official leaders, I am talking about each individual from the boot steward to the senior coach, the captain (s) to the youngest player on the list, taking personal responsibility for their own performance.

You can all look at the head and say it's rotten, cut it off, but for a group to succeed everyone needs to be personally responsible for their own output, setting the highest standards and living them every minute of every day. If this is not happening then we get what we deserve.

This also runs much deeper than being overwhelmed by public opinion and over-reacting as a consequence.

To all people who are privileged to be able to work in the AFL industry and make a good living from it, there is always the real risk that one day it will be gone, again this is inevitable, it will happen to everyone, only unknown is when, you can not however have the worry of this uncertainty hanging over your head allow your performance and effort to achieve the highest personal standards deviate at all, the day you do is the day you know the end is here.

Have they announced who the other two members of the review team are yet?
They cant even get this right.
It was a last minute decision to have a review, driven by the shit they found themselves in.
Instead of getting a company in to do it, they thought they would do it themselves and pick the panel they want. Is that REALLY an external review?
They managed to find 2 suckers at short notice. If you had any credibility you wouldnt even dream of getting involved.

Anyone see Dougie's comments?

Pretty direct. Said football was too structured now, that coaches have forgotten the fundamental skills of the game, that it's about remembering where to stand now, that the fun was gone and he enjoyed the first half of his career much more than the second.

Was talking generally about AFL rather than slinging arrows at AFC individuals but still

Said he wants to get into coaching. Won't be at our club judging by that attitude.
No big surprises there. Their wages have gone through the roof in the last 10 years as well.

It's a professional industry. The players wanted it that way. Now they reckon it's not as fun. Waaah

Pretty direct. Said football was too structured now, that coaches have forgotten the fundamental skills of the game, that it's about remembering where to stand now, that the fun was gone and he enjoyed the first half of his career much more than the second.

Was talking generally about AFL rather than slinging arrows at AFC individuals but still

Said he wants to get into coaching. Won't be at our club judging by that attitude.
I had a discussion with one of our coachess last year and have seen him a few times since, mutual friends, and the way the game is so structured based is the main point I took from the conversations we have had. He likened it to Gridiron.

Whilst he gave me some info on our approach, he has said this js true across the entire league. Structure and patterns of play are the main facets of the game now.
He said to me one glaring example of this failing was the Hawthorn v Geelong game where Danger got injured but spent the entirety of the rest of the game in the goal square. Clarko could not fit this in his structure as it stretched their team defence, they had to defend longer. And failed as Paddy just won every one on one contest in the goal square as the rolling zone could not fall back quick enough.

Clarko is actually quite a structure/playing pattern based coach and you can see that rolled out across the AFL in the success of coaches he has worked with before they become head coaches.

I think back to what he said and can see how what Dougie is saying is a negative to the way the game is played now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See how jaded we have become.
I would love it if this were not the case, but just look at the facts.

We all wanted a review last year after the camp and soft tissue fiascos saw us plummet from a GF to 12th.

Club says no.

"We will review ourselves".

Review findings: Everyone doing a great job, just a bit of bad luck.

This year again we want an external review after turning into a complete heartless rabble after the bye.

Club says it's "insulted because we're still a chance at finals".

We miss finals and finish 11th again.

Club (grudgingly) says ok, we'll give you your "externally led review".

Richmond's review ran for 10 weeks and was run by Ernst and Young beginning mid-season so they could, you know, review the day to day running of the football department.

Collingwood also launched their review in June and reviewed football department operations through the season so the club could shop for new staff before the market closed.

Adelaide cobbles together its review after the season is finished.

On Monday, Fagan said he expects it finished in 3 weeks. The panel still hasn't been secured by Thursday. Hopefully they can start by Monday. Another week lost.

So our 'review' will run for 2 weeks if we're lucky. Neither of those weeks will be during the season. In fact most of the club will be on leave. So they can't review any operations.

And any findings will be measured against our own parallel in-house review, which will no doubt have primacy.

And even if we need new staff (we do), the market is all but closed this late in the day.

This is absolutely a sham review. Too late, too short, too cobbled together at the last minute by a reluctant and arrogant regime who think they can just fob it off on us.

Sounds very Neil Craig era.

No big surprises there. Their wages have gone through the roof in the last 10 years as well.

It's a professional industry. The players wanted it that way. Now they reckon it's not as fun. Waaah
That's not what he was talking about

Kicking goals, taking marks, hitting a leading target, picking the ball up at full speed = fun

Zone structures around a stoppage = boring

I would love it if this were not the case, but just look at the facts.

We all wanted a review last year after the camp and soft tissue fiascos saw us plummet from a GF to 12th.

Club says no.

"We will review ourselves".

Review findings: Everyone doing a great job, just a bit of bad luck.

This year again we want an external review after turning into a complete heartless rabble after the bye.

Club says it's "insulted because we're still a chance at finals".

We miss finals and finish 11th again.

Club (grudgingly) says ok, we'll give you your "externally led review".

Richmond's review ran for 10 weeks and was run by Ernst and Young beginning mid-season so they could, you know, review the day to day running of the football department.

Collingwood also launched their review in June and reviewed football department operations through the season so the club could shop for new staff before the market closed.

Adelaide cobbles together its review after the season is finished.

On Monday, Fagan said he expects it finished in 3 weeks. The panel still hasn't been secured by Thursday. Hopefully they can start by Monday. Another week lost.

So our 'review' will run for 2 weeks if we're lucky. Neither of those weeks will be during the season. In fact most of the club will be on leave. So they can't review any operations.

And any findings will be measured against our own parallel in-house review, which will no doubt have primacy.

And even if we need new staff (we do), the market is all but closed this late in the day.

This is absolutely a sham review. Too late, too short, too cobbled together at the last minute by a reluctant and arrogant regime who think they can just fob it off on us.
Correct. Any review of the Football Department which does not include matchday and training performance is absolutely pointless.

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back