The Review

Who will leave as a result of the review?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Roo said something like they’ve stayed loyal to the guys who got to the Grand Final.

That in itself tells you all you need to know. First off we were flogged and embarrassed so you should actually try to improve the side, not stay ******* loyal. Second, it’s not the same side, we lost players and as you pointed out we are older.

I just can’t believe how bad a football club we’ve turned out to be.
Is this a Board philosophy?
A Football Director Philosophy?
Coaches Philosophy ?

Or just the whole cluster

Is our downturn since 2017 any mystery? We keep picking the same players who are getting older and worse.

Hopefully the review uncovers who the imbeciles on the selection committee that champion this method are and we can fire them out of a cannon.
My initial thoughts were that it was too easy to blame Pyke for everything. But I’ve come around to thinking that from R1 of his tenure, he’s nailed his colours to a very select group of players.

We know up to 17 from that game were still playing late this season. He’s gone with the same names for 4 years, he’s made virtually no attempt to regenerate.

He’s driven the side to the edge of a cliff - he needs to go over too.

List Management has to be on the Review agenda

Contracts + Retaining players without forward planning ie Douglas. This isnt about Douglas per se but about the idea of not wanting to have a whole group retire/delist at once. Douglas should have been delisted or traded last year.

Contracts -Most contracts should end at 3 years and have triggers if a player wants further. Some at 2 but hardly ever 4 or 5

I think the previously stated fear of losing players made the club go over the top with some contracts

Is this a Board philosophy?
A Football Director Philosophy?
Coaches Philosophy ?

Or just the whole cluster
Cluster **** selfish philosophy of trying to make the finals every year so the heat they are now copping doesn’t exist.

They don’t give a shit about winning a flag more than it makes them untouchable, but scraping into finals is good enough to see them safe.

There was talk of the players confronting Burton about the changes they were promised at the bye which didn’t eventuate. I’ve never really bought into players purposely losing to get a coach sacked, I just can’t see them busting a gut to then lose intentionally. But this is such a competitive competition and relies on everything going right, a lack of team spirit and harmony could be enough to see the crap we’ve produced. But ultimately it’s led to a situation that change is forced upon the club, if we finished 6-8, none of this would be going down, thankfully we didn’t.

My initial thoughts were that it was too easy to blame Pyke for everything. But I’ve come around to thinking that from R1 of his tenure, he’s nailed his colours to a very select group of players.

We know up to 17 from that game were still playing late this season. He’s gone with the same names for 4 years, he’s made virtually no attempt to regenerate.

Yeah he’s got to go but he can’t be the only one

Someone also needs to be sacked for that abomination of a gameplan.

You mean for copying Ports highly successful game plan from 2018? Why wouldn’t you copy it, it was a raging success, so much so Port ditched it.

I wonder how much of it is Pyke and how much is those around him.

My gut feel is he left things in cruise control mode for far too long. This year saw panic set in when he actually had to do some work. We saw selections get even worse than previous years, along with the change to the gameplan.

I wonder how much of it is Pyke and how much is those around him.

My gut feel is he left things in cruise control mode for far too long. This year saw panic set in when he actually had to do some work. We saw selections get even worse than previous years, along with the change to the gameplan.
He planned on going in with the same game plan and trained that way in the preseason. Then Clarko exposed it and they panicked, it’s was worked out on the run.

If Burton is the problem I think it says a fair bit about how weak Don Pyke is. I think Burton is a problem but I think supporters are overestimating his influenece. It all rests on Don in my opinion.
My first issue is with Burton. He heads up the Footy Department. My other concern is you point about his strength. Pyke should already have the team he needs/wants but he hasn't been able to manage that so it strikes me that he has a weak personality. I mean he is in a very strong position to be able to demand almost anything.

Is our downturn since 2017 any mystery? We keep picking the same players who are getting older and worse.

Hopefully the review uncovers who the imbeciles on the selection committee that champion this method are and we can fire them out of a cannon.
I agree but even just looking at this year. What happened after the bye. I thought our beginning was a little shakey but I didnt expect us to fall apart in the second half of the year.

My first issue is with Burton. He heads up the Footy Department. My other concern is you point about his strength. Pyke should already have the team he needs/wants but he hasn't been able to manage that so it strikes me that he has a weak personality. I mean he is in a very strong position to be able to demand almost anything.
Burton yes ..

In Pyke's first draft he debated the need for speed over drafting a Sauce replacement. So we got Gallucci (instead of English - Western Dogs) and Poholke

The next year we got Fogarty, local lad to good to pass up and a talented but perennially injuried McPherson

Its almost like the 2018 is the first draft Pyke genuinely got players onto the list that he genuinely wanted

And going back to Burton, why tf does he spend so much time in the coaching box and around the players at breaks during games ..

I don't think I've ever come across a person involved with the club I dislike more than Burton. Though to be honest Camporeale is coming a very close second ..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burton yes ..

In Pyke's first draft he debated the need for speed over drafting a Sauce replacement. So we got Gallucci (instead of English - Western Dogs) and Poholke

The next year we got Fogarty, local lad to good to pass up and a talented but perennially injuries McPherson

Its almost like the 2018 is the first draft Pyke genuinely got players onto the list that he genuinely wanted

And going back to Burton, why tf does he spend so much time in the coaching box and around the players at breaks during games ..

I don't think I've ever come across a person involved with the club I dislike more than Burton. Though to be honest Camporeale is coming a very close second ..
I remember Pyke saying after the 2018 draft that he wanted speed. Team needed more speed so we drafted players with speed yet we didnt play those speedy players enough this year. McHenry did get a game. Sure he was injured for the latter part of the season but at one stage he was excelling in the SANFL. So much for adding speed and utilising it.

I remember Pyke saying after the 2018 draft that he wanted speed. Team needed more speed so we drafted players with speed yet we didnt play those speedy players enough this year. McHenry did get a game. Sure he was injured for the latter part of the season but at one stage he was excelling in the SANFL. So much for adding speed and utilising it.
I was filthy Dmac came straight in for round 1. McHenry deserved a game early and then they started playing selection roulette with the younger players in form (and Gibbs), and backing in the same veterans who'd proved time and time again they weren't up for it in the big games

Walsh didn't get the team he wanted either. Would you say he's weak?

We've been saying we need more speed and outside run for the last ten years.

If the review recommends a new Coach and a new captain and a replacement for Dean Bailey. If it recommends key personaltys keep out of media and business interests with the likes of roo.

Then this charade has purpose.

If the review says the club was testicleless when Jenkins grew into a better leader and forward than walker and chose to keep him down, then this review has purpose.

I didn't like what blight said, if we had a review into 1999 he would of been found to be the problem, or even a review into the trade of our best ever player Tony modra because blights ego was bruised....

Roo said something like they’ve stayed loyal to the guys who got to the Grand Final.

That in itself tells you all you need to know. First off we were flogged and embarrassed so you should actually try to improve the side, not stay ******* loyal. Second, it’s not the same side, we lost players and as you pointed out we are older.

The "same side that got us to a grand final" was such a cop out. Sport evolves. People age. If we were an F1 team we'd still have Nigel Mansell driving his 1992 car and scratching our heads as to why he's last.

Which path are we?

Eddie said this morning he expects to be spoken to in regards to the review this week.

Blight was outraged the review is taking place while he assumed the players are away. But it seems they are.being spoken to in the limbo period between season end and their holidays starting.

You would think any actual interview with players would be pretty quick and revolve around how they feel the coaching and other football department/club staff perform. And then have an analytical component ie how they are actually performing, which would come from match day data the club has.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Anyone see Dougie's comments?

Pretty direct. Said football was too structured now, that coaches have forgotten the fundamental skills of the game, that it's about remembering where to stand now, that the fun was gone and he enjoyed the first half of his career much more than the second.

Was talking generally about AFL rather than slinging arrows at AFC individuals but still

Said he wants to get into coaching. Won't be at our club judging by that attitude.

Back