List Mgmt. Tim Kelly remains a Cat for 2019

How long will Tim Kelly last at Geelong?

• He will return to WA in the 2018 trade period

• He will play at Geelong in 2019 but return to WA at end 2019

• He will sign a long term deal at Geelong

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Club comes before player.

IF he indeed does want out then bye TK. His heart isn't invested in the GFC, and we want passionate players who'll bleed for the jumper.

This give us a little glimpse into the world of GC ... compassion .. a sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others: the victims should be treated with compassion.
Victim?

The compassion part of it stops the minute he specifies WC only.. we are not talking someone who has given us 8 years of service..

Last edited:
I'm sick of our club being soft on trading. You entered the draft knowing you could be drafted anywhere and you signed a 2 year contract. Don't enter the draft if you aren't willing to stay at a club for 2 years.

He's already better than probably 8 out of last year's top 10 picks will ever be!
He's the same as drafting a top 10 pick, just without all the extra work needed to turn talent into a great player. He's already a great player!

Cerra at pick 5 may not ever be as good as Kelly is now. Going off that...can someone explain to me how a top 5 pick is more valuable than Kelly?
I've even used a kid who has shown talent as my example.

If we don't get a top 10 pick in return an absolute MINIMUM, I will projectile vomit.

To be honest, this is the part that doesn't sit with me.
If he wants to go home on compassionate grounds then we just have to deal with that.

But if he's forcing us to deal with wc then I just don't think that's right.
Freo is just as close to 'home'.
Exactly. If he wants to return 'home' then he goes home and that includes Fremantle.

Exactly. If he wants to return 'home' then he goes home and that includes Fremantle.

Just could not agree more with this. It is as simple as if you want to go home and you want us to accommodate that then that is all that can be asked. You go where ever in WA we can get the best deal and you say thank you on your way out the door

Say we don't get an acceptable offer. He is contracted. Why can't we keep him and give him zero AFL games next year? He can play in the VFL and we can blood a player that will stay. Then trade him at the end of next season.

Last edited:
Settle down all you lot saying "argh, so sick of the club being soft!"

We know literally nothing at this point, apart from a few rubbish tweets that are totally unsubstantiated. You're all throwing a chair over very little.

That being said, I remember reading somewhere that his (eldest?) son has autism, and the family support network is important for managing that, so that's the "compassionate" part of his request (has that been confirmed either?). Will the club deny a trade request given those sorts of circumstances? I doubt it. It was certainly willing to trade in Ablett partly on compassionate grounds (and didn't some people feel like pricks when they found out why).

If there were compelling reasons for WC to be the only viable option to both play and help raise his kid (whereabouts in Perth does their family live?), I can see the club trying their best to facilitate it. Would they hold him to his contract and suggest his partner goes back to be with family, with the surety Kelly gets traded to WC for 2020? Potentially, but it would be pretty heartless to insist on it, since I seem to recall they didn't know about the autism diagnosis before he was drafted. That does in fact change things, despite all the hard talk to the contrary.

Geelong overpaid to bring Ablett back, in that scenario we were the team who had to show 'compassion' and help him break the contract he had with the Suns by paying overs. Now the shoes on the other foot, and of course the story in a couple of weeks will be that Geelong need to show 'compassion' and let him go for unders so he can get to the Eagles.

Settle down all you lot saying "argh, so sick of the club being soft!"

We know literally nothing at this point, apart from a few rubbish tweets that are totally unsubstantiated. You're all throwing a chair over very little.

That being said, I remember reading somewhere that his (eldest?) son has autism, and the family support network is important for managing that, so that's the "compassionate" part of his request (has that been confirmed either?). Will the club deny a trade request given those sorts of circumstances? I doubt it. It was certainly willing to trade in Ablett partly on compassionate grounds (and didn't some people feel like pricks when they found out why).

If there were compelling reasons for WC to be the only viable option to both play and help raise his kid (whereabouts in Perth does their family live?), I can see the club trying their best to facilitate it. Would they hold him to his contract and suggest his partner goes back to be with family, with the surety Kelly gets traded to WC for 2020? Potentially, but it would be pretty heartless to insist on it, since I seem to recall they didn't know about the autism diagnosis before he was drafted. That does in fact change things, despite all the hard talk to the contrary.

Right now that compassionate trade equates to pick 23. For a 34 yr old and maybe 30 games.

WC fans think this is overs for Kelly given his “situation”

Geelong overpaid to bring Ablett back, in that scenario we were the team who had to show 'compassion' and help him break the contract he had with the Suns by paying overs. Now the shoes on the other foot, and of course the story in a couple of weeks will be that Geelong need to show 'compassion' and let him go for unders so he can get to the Eagles.

We overpaid for Ablett?

Right now that compassionate trade equates to pick 23. For a 34 yr old and maybe 30 games.

WC fans think this is overs for Kelly given his “situation”
Why is situation in quotation marks? Do you doubt it?

As for paying overs, I agree that the onus is on WC - it’s not like they’d be mortgaging their future to bring him in. I suppose the calculus for GFC becomes, “what constitutes ‘overs’”? You’d hope they’d be driving a hard bargain, considering Freo can offer so much more and WC are the premiers, after all.

I wonder if the review will dictate the approach.

To be honest, this is the part that doesn't sit with me.
If he wants to go home on compassionate grounds then we just have to deal with that.

But if he's forcing us to deal with wc then I just don't think that's right.
Freo is just as close to 'home'.
Same... I'd like the club to point blank say to him that if he wants to go now then he doesn't get to choose which club. We get him home now and do what is in our own best interests rather than trading him to the better of the 2 teams in his home state

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF, there is going to be a trade on 'compassion', then I would want whichever club we deal with to give up something more than they would otherwise be willing to.(idealistic I know)
Now, does the club have a pet journo who can be counted on to get a message out there? IF said WA club were showing a distinct lack of 'compassion' in their deal making, then I would want that message put out. If for no other reason then to be petty and make ourselves feel better.
;)

Take what Gossage says with a (very large) grain of salt.

I'd be very surprised if WC was described by Kelly as anything more than his preference of the WA clubs. Sounds farcical that a contracted player wanting to go home to WA on compassionate grounds would demand one WA club over the other. He isn't in a position to demand anything.

I'd be very surprised if WC was described by Kelly as anything more than his preference of the WA clubs. Sounds farcical that a contracted player wanting to go home to WA on compassionate grounds would demand one WA club over the other. He isn't in a position to demand anything.

The issue is that neither club looks like they will have a Kelly priority ... Hogan will trump Kelly and WC will not have an early pick..

I'm sick of our club being soft on trading. You entered the draft knowing you could be drafted anywhere and you signed a 2 year contract. Don't enter the draft if you aren't willing to stay at a club for 2 years.

He's already better than probably 8 out of last year's top 10 picks will ever be!
He's the same as drafting a top 10 pick, just without all the extra work needed to turn talent into a great player. He's already a great player!

Cerra at pick 5 may not ever be as good as Kelly is now. Going off that...can someone explain to me how a top 5 pick is more valuable than Kelly?
I've even used a kid who has shown talent as my example.

If we don't get a top 10 pick in return an absolute MINIMUM, I will projectile vomit.

I hope I'm not near you when the trade is announced then, because I'll be amazed if we get a top 10 pick. Not saying he's not worth it, just that we won't be capable of extracting it.

We ARE generous at the trade table, and have been for years. The fundamental philosophy of Costa/Carter, Cook, Wells and even Scott has always been player first, and for them that means doing the "right thing" by the player in trade scenarios. If a player wants to leave for another club, or wants to come to us, then they'll do their best to make it happen even if its not a balanced deal. There are countless examples. Those people are still the ones making the calls and I don't see that anything else has changed in the last 12 months that would suddenly make them ruthless negotiators prepared to let a trade die to get a better deal.

Those people are still the ones making the calls and I don't see that anything else has changed in the last 12 months that would suddenly make them ruthless negotiators prepared to let a trade die to get a better deal.
The CEO saying:

“At the end of this year, we will not be considering (offers).”

Seems to be reasonably firm.

Say we don't get an acceptable offer. He is contracted. Why can't we keep him and give him zero AFL games next year? He can play in the VFL and we can blood a player that will stay. Then trade him at the end of next season.

So we keep an unhappy player, play him in the VFL all year, where his trade value diminishes massively. Then we trade him at the end of 2019 and attempt to get something of value for him when he is OOC, we have little leverage and he hasn't played senior footy in 12-months? Not to mention he would take up a senior list spot that could go to a young draftee or another mature aged recruit. What a pointless exercise.

I'm glad you aren't involved in our list management decisions.

Very true. Congrats on the flag btw.

One thing I hate is a double-minded person. Kelly needs to make a call and stick to it. He's starting to look like a man who has trouble keeping his word and staying with commitments.

Gawd...wouldn't it be great if Kelly is planning to announce at the B&F this week that he is signing a extension to his contract with us. I can only dream.
He would have announced he was staying.
And if someone waited until a BnF to announce it then I'd call them a self entitled w***er.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back