Autopsy Toothless Bulldogs overcome Norf in a game not for the ages

Remove this Banner Ad

Marra dropped 3 sitters and another gettable mark. Remember Bob Murphy’s dad gave him one piece of football advice “Son never drop a chest mark!” I think there is lack of intent in Marra too dropping simple chest marks. Him and English were equally bad.
Incredibly he still snuck his usual 2 goals and may yet have a 40 goal season.

He’s sometimes a total liability. He is the kind of player that could just switch it on and kick 7 one day but we’ve had a lot of these games where he’s been diabolical but kicked 2 or 3 out the back and everyone kind of moves on.

Bont is seriously heating up at the right time of the year. Other than him there's not much to remember about this game. We might have found a beauty with Lobb down back too.

Gallagher's turnover at the end there when North still had a sniff made me almost throw my controller at the TV. It's a serious problem for him. He's running at 61% disposal efficiency for the year which is 2nd worst only behind JUH. Also 2nd in clangers only behind Treloar who averages 31.5 disposals a game to Gallagher's 13.

Honestly don't know what Bevo see's in him. It's not like he's oozing speed or x-factor to make up for his terrible decision making and turnovers. I don't see any point of difference that he brings over the likes of Garcia or CD.
Well there is a big difference to watching the game on tv to actually being there.. Gallagher has a bit of presence and looks alright when you see it live, things you don’t see on television

Vanders was pretty good
Watched him closely and he worked is backside off. Has had more games recently where he’s actually been ok offensively to match the work ethic.

Have to give a bit of credit to Bramble too. The first half of the season was heart in mouth stuff any time he got the ball but he’s been a good ball user recently.

As supporters we want intent and willingness and combativeness. Marra lacked it today and by the sounds of it English did too, but I didn’t notice at the ground. It’s difficult to tell some things up in the stands.
I have been as critical as anyone about Vandermeer but he was very good today. Ran around like a Centre Half Forward and tackled good and took some good marks, well done.
I still need/want an answer on Garcia? I love his intent and willingness. He is the type of player this team needs.

Hats off to Liam Jones, was immense again down back. Lobb surprised me, for the most part he looked like a natural defender.

Treloar and Bont were again outstanding. Darcy will need a week or 2 to dust off the cobwebs but was great to have him back.

Was an almost game for Jamarra, needed to hold those marks. His habit of giving teammates a spray when it isn't delivered perfectly to him is not a great look tbh. A bit unnecessary, needs to get that out of his game.

Incredibly he still snuck his usual 2 goals and may yet have a 40 goal season.

He’s sometimes a total liability. He is the kind of player that could just switch it on and kick 7 one day but we’ve had a lot of these games where he’s been diabolical but kicked 2 or 3 out the back and everyone kind of moves on.
Confiscate the campaigners phone, give him 100 shots at goal after everyone at training and a few rounds with Steve Kretiuk. Less social media for our mob and we win the flag.

Marra has always been overrated since being drafted. Will be a very good forward but not the superstar and ‘next buddy’ that many have touted him to be.
I think he has the potential to be an outstanding forward. He has all the tools. He just needs to get his mindset right first and that's going to take some doing. He's a bit like Bailey Smith in that sense.

As supporters we want intent and willingness and combativeness. Marra lacked it today and by the sounds of it English did too, but I didn’t notice at the ground. It’s difficult to tell some things up in the stands.
I have been as critical as anyone about Vandermeer but he was very good today. Ran around like a Centre Half Forward and tackled good and took some good marks, well done.
I still need/want an answer on Garcia? I love his intent and willingness. He is the type of player this team needs.
Garcia was just OK today in the reserves. A fair way from being our best player.

I like him as a player but he'll need to show a bit more to get a recall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Marra held his marks he would have had at least three more shots at goal, add to the one that was debatable whether it crossed the goal line. He didn’t have a great game, but for me it was just the dropped marks that was the reason, not any lack of intent.

If Marra held his marks he would have had at least three more shots at goal, add to the one that was debatable whether it crossed the goal line. He didn’t have a great game, but for me it was just the dropped marks that was the reason, not any lack of intent.
I just really wish he'd stop blasting his teammates. It's not a great look.

Any word on the injuries? Believe Duryea subbed with a foot sprain, Vanders had an ankle knock and did JOD pick something up?

Strange game. We looked like a team coming off the bye and for the most part stuck in 3rd gear.

The only time the game really looked in danger came about due to a couple of inexplicable mistakes half way through the last. We'd been really good at bringing the ball out of defence and switching the ball through the centre square all afternoon. Until with 23 minutes in the clock and a 37 point lead West wide on his own at hb looked inboard to do exactly that of course he saw his captain motoring through the middle of the ground. So far so ok. The weird thing is that the Bont pointed behind into space were presumably he saw Richard's following up and giving cover. So of course thats where West kicked the ball. The problem was that Richards wasn't in position to mark anything but a perfect kick and if the ball spilled to ground he was outnumbered 3-1. The ball was of course turned over and and ended up in the hands of Ford about 45 meters out. Not a sure thing. That was until Williams wandered into the protected zone like one of Mrs Browns really dumb cows to make a certainty and somewhat of a game of it.

Now why would I choose to focus on this one bit of play and dissect it as I saw it? Dunno. It just felt like a microcosm of how we went about the game all day. We were good enough to keep them at arms length, but some of the dumb things that we did made proceedings much closer than it in all reality should've been.

Then there is the way that JUH wasted nearly every single one of the precision i50 put lace out in front of him. Its was especially annoying due to how often we go to him and how few of those opportunities were actually generated. It's pretty clear that Norf went into the game wanting to nullify our tall timber by flooding back and congesting our i50 at every opportunity. Forcing us to go with the not at all sound use of dumb bombs deep.

Lest, I come across as completely negative. I really did enjoy the sweet, sweet norf supporters tears as the whinged their way through the entire game. Very tasty.

Last edited:
Can't agree with that.

His intent was very, very poor.

You don't need bags of talent to bring effort.

Ugly game, but a win and Bont gets the 3 votes. Lobb was good, One of Vandermeer better games brought some good pressure and was fairly clean.

JUH ugly game, besides Al the dropped marks needs to bring second efforts if he wants to be an a grader.

If Sam Power offers anything more than 5 for English his job is cooked as no other club will be pushing for him at big years or money.
English contract dollars are going down week by week - still able to offer something but if we offer him more than 750 a year we are stupid

Can't agree with that.

His intent was very, very poor.

You don't need bags of talent to bring effort.
That’s fair enough, although I disagree obviously. In my opinion his intent was ok.

I think he has the potential to be an outstanding forward. He has all the tools. He just needs to get his mindset right first and that's going to take some doing. He's a bit like Bailey Smith in that sense.

Sorry dw, can't agree. I've never seen Smith display the attitude, particularly towards team-mates, that Ugle-Hagan did today. He has all the tools, but seems intent on blaming team mates for his inability to use them.

He wasn't alone in playing poorly for large parts, but his onfield attitude is poor in large parts.

His habit of giving teammates a spray when it isn't delivered perfectly to him is not a great look tbh. A bit unnecessary, needs to get that out of his game.

Agree with this, wish he'd cut it out. Had a friend at a game recently mention how astounded he was to hear how harsh Marra was arguing with West about a mistake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back