List Mgmt. Trade and Free Agency Discussion 2018 - Edition I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, it's the only way they were gonna keep him. Sloane and his manager played it perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

yeah they definitely did!

not sure the club did though!

Its easy to sling shit at Adelaide, but Rory Sloane is a CHAMPION of the game and that club. He's still got a lot left in him and is the kind of guy that wouldnt have signed for 5 years had he not thought he still has that much in him. He has plenty of good football in him and l'd much rather him see out being a one-club player, because he strikes me as someone that is respectful for his club and the opportunities they have given him.
Adelaide will be alright on this. They may have overpaid on annual salary, but it would sit well with me knowing that if you are going to 'over-extend' yourself on one player... a champion like Rory is ok. I'd hate to see him in a Hawthorn guernsey.
And... i think the crows, even if they lose a few, will bounce back quickly with the draft picks theyve got. So, Rory has just as much chance of winning a flag with Crows than any other club.

Hopefully Sloane contract is front loaded.

Would hate to be paying him a 500k+ in 4 years time when he’s on one leg.

I’m a big fan of him though. Good on him for staying.

Still hate the crows though.

No this is a load of crap !

Where he was picked up does matter and if you dont think a Rookie selection is chance given by the club to a player that nobody els wants then you are delusional its not like he was piced at #6 , #18 or #40 where there could have been another club that would have taken him - He effectively took the last seat on the bus that richmond gave him so yeah he should be grateful thats why you always hear of players like Lambert,Foley,Grimes,Castagna being so grateful for the club giving them the 'Chance'

You talk about how he worked his ass off etc etc etc , How about the recognition to the club its coaches and fitness staff and the development that has 'Made' Him the player he is now. Prior to being given a 'Chance' He was a short midfgielder that didnt get enough posessions and lacked awareness and was snubbed my most clubs BUT Richmond took the chance and developed him and gave him a role and a role thats probably the easiest for him to succeed in.

He is not Docherty or Simpson or Laird yet to be setting his price and playing in a weak team with a weak defence , He is playing in a premiership team with the best defence in the league and allowed the time to play so freely.

From the 2014 Rookie draft there would be at most 6-7 players that have made it and playing regular games from 70 selection
Richmond have 3 players getting regular games and Ivan soldo on the verge doing well
Lambert
Castagna
Short

Is this just a coincidence ??? I would say bloody good development when you add in the following year that Callum Moore & Mabior Chol also looking the goods so far.

Think you are under selling what the club has done short

**** me you amaze me. Three years ago when Ben Lennon was at odds with signing a new contract, you abused him and said he hadn't done anything to deserve that type of contract and he was just potential based on a pick. But fast forward to now where a rookie pick with runs on the board and one of the better rebounding defenders in the competition and here you're still demanding he re-signs for less than his worth and that how dare he ask for more money than the club would like to give him. Which one is it? Do we only pay our players good money if they're high picks or do we pay them on their output?

Well done to our coaching and fitness staff on doing their jobs. Im sure their bank accounts reflect that.

Doesn't matter who the **** he is and how much others earn, all that matters is how much other clubs and our club value him at. If Sydney value him at 450k, Carlton at 500k and Richmond at 300k. Then it is up to Richmond and Short to meet somewhere it the middle and if that can't be done then explore a trade. Shorts value is determined on what offers clubs are prepared to pay him based on his performances for Richmond and he is within his right to ask for more from Richmond if clubs are offering him more than what Richmond is. Also just because he is allowed play a free role doesn't devalue him, it the same role 17 other clubs in the league would have him playing and he do a better job of it for most those teams then the guys that they currently have playing the role.

Do you know what Lambert, Castagna and Short all have in common? They are three of the hardest workers at the club. During preseason they are regularly top of the testing and always come back in better shape then they finished the season. That allows them to push themselves even further and aren't playing catch up. A big reason for the why club has turned the corner is we started drafting these types who are naturally fit and strong but also very hard working instead of relying on more naturally talented kids who may or may not be prepared to work hard. Far easier to develop players who want to be developed rather than players who are simply happy to make it on to an AFL list.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is an interesting article.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-11/the-flag-tiger-whose-future-hinges-on-lynch

I would have thought Townsend is one of the least likely to be let go!!

With or without Lynch Townsend is valuable to the Tigers in ways probably not replicated in other clubs.

If we got Lynch it probably would be more likely Townsend stays and others go tbh. Having said that if Lynch does not come its easier for Townsend to stay.

I think this is frankly a smoke and mirrors article tbh because for the astute it contains no logic!!

Breaking it down if we got Lynch and salary cap issues become apparent Townsend is more likely to stay because bang for buck he is better value.

If Lynch goes down injury wise Townsend is more likely to stay as a plan B and/or because Townsend is ready made to fill a gap even potentially with Lynch in the same side.

If the weird situation Lynch comes is unhappy and decides to ask for a trade Townsend still is more likely to stay as ready made to help fill the void!!

Last edited:
Danger took 800k 2 years before Dusty, the salary cap rose between 20-25% in those 2 years. Which would make 800k about 960-1mill. You can be assured that Danger had the automatic pay rise from the cap in his contract.

And Dusty is a better player hence he gets 1.1 mill ;)
Its not the point. if dusty want to keep the team together, get better players also, then IMO only i think he got a little more from than he should have.

**** me you amaze me. Three years ago when Ben Lennon was at odds with signing a new contract, you abused him and said he hadn't done anything to deserve that type of contract and he was just potential based on a pick. But fast forward to now where a rookie pick with runs on the board and one of the better rebounding defenders in the competition and here you're still demanding he re-signs for less than his worth and that how dare he ask for more money than the club would like to give him. Which one is it? Do we only pay our players good money if they're high picks or do we pay them on their output?

Well done to our coaching and fitness staff on doing their jobs. Im sure their bank accounts reflect that.

Doesn't matter who the **** he is and how much others earn, all that matters is how much other clubs and our club value him at. If Sydney value him at 450k, Carlton at 500k and Richmond at 300k. Then it is up to Richmond and Short to meet somewhere it the middle and if that can't be done then explore a trade. Shorts value is determined on what offers clubs are prepared to pay him based on his performances for Richmond and he is within his right to ask for more from Richmond if clubs are offering him more than what Richmond is. Also just because he is allowed play a free role doesn't devalue him, it the same role 17 other clubs in the league would have him playing and he do a better job of it for most those teams then the guys that they currently have playing the role.

Do you know what Lambert, Castagna and Short all have in common? They are three of the hardest workers at the club. During preseason they are regularly top of the testing and always come back in better shape then they finished the season. That allows them to push themselves even further and aren't playing catch up. A big reason for the why club has turned the corner is we started drafting these types who are naturally fit and strong but also very hard working instead of relying on more naturally talented kids who may or may not be prepared to work hard. Far easier to develop players who want to be developed rather than players who are simply happy to make it on to an AFL list.

Was I wrong ???

And not wrong Now , Only read the first paragraph as the rest is Rubbish

Was I wrong ???

And not wrong Now , Only read the first paragraph as the rest is Rubbish

giphy.gif

How should Richmond attack a mid-season trade and draft period if it was happening this year?

THE countdown is on. Forget the ‘if’, it is now a matter of ‘when’ a mid-season trade period is introduced into the AFL season.

While it won’t be in 2018, there is no doubt clubs are already planning how they will wheel and deal their way through it.

In anticipation of what will be one of the biggest changes in recent AFL history, the SuperFooty team are jumping on the front foot to analyse how key clubs should attack a mid-season trade period if it was happening right now.

From the deals that could catapult each club up the ladder to the players who could be shipped out, here is your guide for Richmond.

1. WOULD THE TIGERS BE BUYERS OR SELLERS?

Richmond is living in the now so it’s buy, buy, buy. The Tigers have a premiership list — who can keep them at the top of the pile for this year and the next few while Dusty, Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt are at the top of their game. But they will keep an eye to the future so they don’t fall off the cliff in a few years.

2. WHAT DOES THE CLUB HAVE TO WORK WITH?

The Tigers traded their third-round draft selection to Geelong last year in a pick swap but are sitting on first, second and fourth-round picks. As it stands they will fall at pick 18, 36 and 72.

That’s not going to get the Tom Lynch deal done (if the Suns push for an early trade) but there are 15 players out of contract including some high draft picks who are regularly in the VFL best players but struggle to break into the best 22

3. SHOULD THEY BE WORRIED ABOUT LOSING DEPTH PLAYERS?

There are plenty of candidates who could be open to more opportunities elsewhere. Only Gold Coast offered Anthony Miles a rookie list spot at the end of last season but would a club that needs a hard-headed ball-winner throw him straight in the guts for the back end of the year? He’d certainly give Patrick Cripps some protection. But Miles, along with Sam Lloyd, are the first reserves in case of a midfield injury so the Tigers will be wary of giving too much away. Corey Ellis, a first-round draft pick who just hasn’t been able to crack the best 22 on a consistent basis, could be offered up and Oleg Markov is in the same boat. Any young talls are off limits with Alex Rance and Jack Riewoldt a lot closer to the end of their careers than the start.

4. CAN THEY AFFORD TO PART WITH A SMALL FORWARD?

The Tigers have built their unique game style around forward pressure and have more of that style of player than any other team with three in the starting 22 (four if you count Jack Higgins) plus Tyson Stengle, Shai Bolton and Liam Baker all arguably playing AFL-quality footy in the VFL. Bolton would likely attract the most interest with his exciting highlights reel and draft pedigree (pick 29). He’s coming out of contract and could be thinking of returning home to WA.

5. WHICH CLUBS DO THEY NEED TO STAY AWAY FROM?

The Tigers are in the hunt for back-to-back flags and won’t do anything to give a leg up to a potential finals rival, which would seem to rule out allowing Bolton to join the Eagles.

They would be very happy to deal with Gold Coast and bottom clubs still a few years away from the premiership window — Carlton, St Kilda, Brisbane and even the Dogs.

6. SHOULD THEY BE WORRIED ABOUT FREE AGENTS?

Bachar Houli is a restricted free agent and Shaun Grigg and Reece Conca are unrestricted — and all three remain unsigned. The first two are premiership heroes entering the latter stages of their careers (both are 30) and you can’t see them playing anywhere else.

7. WHO COULD THEY TAKE IN MID-SEASON DRAFT?

The Tigers have one of the best mature age recruits already on their list in Kane Lambert but could they find another?

Shaun Mannagh is currently playing with the club’s VFL side and has shown a liking for the big stage.

He booted two goals in last year’s VFL grand final, almost lifting his side to victory.

The Tigers could use the 20-year-old as a forward, inside midfielder or on a wing, making him the perfect replacement if the club loses some of its depth players.

8. DO THE TIGERS NEED SOME KEY POSITION INSURANCE?

The Tigers might get Tom Lynch is a couple of months as a free agent.

But should they look at some forward insurance if Jack Riewoldt goes down with an injury?

With Adelaide out of the finals race, Mitch McGovern may be in-play.

He is a great talent and would give the Tigers another level of September X-factor.

With the Crows looking to stockpile assets to get the first pick in the draft, a top pick from the Tigers would help.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...r/news-story/a6ad235b26f562c015318e7dfb89da6b

I’m ok with a mid-season draft but not for AFL listed players.

Jack Higgins mentioned it’d be good for recruiting state league players in an interview this week (can’t remember which show it was, think it may have been That’s Good For Footy) and I actually agree with the kid.

There are some damn good players running around the State League Competitions that would jump at a chance to play for an AFL club that could use their services.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back