Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should demand a first rounder... Nothing less. Unless they choose to emulate the Boyd deal and swipe something good from Freo

Article I posted earlier said a late first or early second meaning freo have to trade for one.. But likely they start with offering pick 43.. Then settle on 35 which is a rip off but that's what they will do

Irrespective of Hamling's humble football history, right now he is a mobile key defender who is also a very good mark and kick. Such players do not fall out of trees and we must screw this trade for everything we can get out of it, any hint of coming off second best will be unacceptable.

And for contract security and dollars.

And apparently his mum is in Perth....

Good on him.

Not massively fussed an ok player who was good in our system. Do reckon his work in the finals was overrated by some. Hope Freo overrate him.

I agree re the media and some on BF over rating hamling. He and Roberts are both average defenders who benefit from our defensive system and massive chop outs from wood and morris.
Watched the GF last night. Hamling's game on an injured Franklin and immense midfield pressure has been massively over rated. And I question how much time he actually spent on Cameron. Good against Kennedy no doubt but not a huge loss if we get a decent pick.
Cordy a much better prospect long term.
In saying all that I'd hope we hold onto Adams for a year at least unless we bring in another young solid defender, maybe freo's Collins.

We are the Premiers. We have the best coach in the league. We have the best young player in the league.........if you can't sell that at the minute, you never will. Lucky we are good at drafting.....let's get some.good picks

c4jt321.png

Losing Hamling, losing Adams next year if not this year, Morris only a couple of years left at best.

We need to throw everything and the kitchen sink at Steven May next year. In the short term, try and get Mackenzie from the Eagles to replace Hamling rather than getting him in a trade with Adams, hold him to his contract for next year at least and see what happens.

Can that Nankervis bloke play full back? :$

Lol some people are laughable

We just won a flag and AT THE MOMENT the only moves are blokes wanting to leave.

The only whisper floating around had less chance of happening than Jesus coming back to life and it's all gravy so far but you live in your bubble mate.

Funny how 5-6 other blokes have said similar but you haven't responded to them have you?

The lemmings increase.
You're right again. Wow you're good... some blokes are laughable.

Your post complained about worrying about keeping depth players such as Jong - who played 16 games and had injuries. But complain about losing Hamling - 12 games. It's the same old story.

My initial post is from a fans perspective. Who gives a shit if we aren't chasing the players you think we need. We just won the flag and I'm still bloody enjoying it!!

If the recruiters and club have the same attitude then we have problems. But seriously, do you actually think they have those thoughts?
Do you actually think they don't know what we do and don't need?
Do you actually think they aren't working their butts off to keep the list intact and to fill holes?

Cordy goes back and / or Collins comes in. Or Adams stays and all is well.

Everything is OK so far boys and girls. Let's not shit the bed before anything has actually happened.

Collins is a mile off being ready. He was utterly destroyed by Cameron in a quarter and a half. If he is the next in we are in some serious trouble.

In any event if that happened there are no reserves left.. One injury at all and Webb is a key defender

Jong
Campbell
Hamilton

Signing these guys has nothing to do with Hamling leaving. The club can't stop a player electing to leave to be closer to his family and probably a lot more money then he warrants. Do you think Joel left because we spent to long trying to sign these guys and spent no time trying to convince him to stay?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cordy goes back and / or Collins comes in. Or Adams stays and all is well.

Everything is OK so far boys and girls. Let's not shit the bed before anything has actually happened.
Funny how hamling was a potential delist 7 or 8 weeks ago on this board.
Collins is a mile off being ready. He was utterly destroyed by Cameron in a quarter and a half. If he is the next in we are in some serious trouble.

In any event if that happened there are no reserves left.. One injury at all and Webb is a key defender
Adams is contracted. Cordy goes back if crameri comes in imo.

Well we really are not going very well this week but apparently we shouldn't be concerned and if we are its being negative.

IMO its seems we spent far too much time chasing uncontracted depth players we don't need instead of depth players that actually add something.

Hope next week brigs some big surprises coz at the moment this trade period is a D-
I'm not sure I get the logic in this post. What has signing other bit part players got to do with losing Hamling to a ridiculous offer from Fremantle?
We can match it if we want to but won't because he's not worth it.
I realize that in a world of glass half empty and glass half full people you like to complain that you didn't even get a glass, but at least use a bit of logic.

True, but based on our last 24 months prove that 6-12 months is a short time in footy, especially at our club.
Kieran can play and will be ready. So will Zaine and Fletch. Plus maybe another player who I have even forgotten about or we will aquire within the next week. Relax boys and girls we are the premiers. :):):)

Just for some perspective, following the trade period last year, our key defensive stocks were:
  1. A much maligned Fletcher Roberts
  2. Joel Hamling, a solid 3rd tall
  3. Dale Morris, a gun 3rd tall near the end
  4. Zaine Cordy, a potential gun who was a fair way off
Even if we lose both Adams and Hamling and don't replace either in the trade period, our key defensive stocks will be:
  1. A somewhat less maligned Fletcher Roberts who played two very good finals on elite key forwards
  2. Zaine Cordy, a premiership CHF who is clearly better suited to defence
  3. Dale Morris, a gun 3rd tall near the end
  4. Kieran Collins, a potential gun who is a fair way off
There's no need to lose our heads and offer mega-dollars to contracted opposition key defenders. We've shown over the last two years that our system can turn solid key defenders into much better players. If we nab one or two state leaguers/up-and-coming defenders like Brand, we'll be in a similar position to where we started this year.

This type of attitude stops us from ever becoming a successful club
We already are a successful club. We currently have the shortest premiership drought in the AFL. And the same people that were in charge for that are still in charge. Maybe we can all take a deep breath and let them do their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back