Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When 19 year old Zaine does a fairly decent impersonation of dermot brereton at chf in a finals series including a grNd final - maybe his not destined to be a back man after all.
Yeah Dermot Brereton would have not handballed to an open
Lachie Hunter in the goal square in the first quarter either,
but i doubt he would have kicked it on the full. I have gazed
into the crystal ball and your career in player comparisons
has got off to a rocky start. Zaine kicked some critical
goals in the finals, but his role was very defensive.

Delisted from one of the worst teams of 2016.
One of the most interesting things I have noticed recently is the lack of understanding from the media about a clubs strategy. Not on field tactics - but off field strategic direction. We dont take players just because they are there, only if they fit a purpose and a plan - both on field and longer term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be shocked if Barlow didn't end up somewhere. Hell, I wouldn't even be that mad if he somehow ended up at the Dogs (although not a required type of player that would make very little sense to pick up). Even DeBoer would be a decent pick up for a club looking for some mid depth that could play at AFL level. One of those two will probably end up at Hawthorn. They'll need the depth when O'Meara's knee plays up again.

Freo must have quite the midfield depth if they're getting rid of Barlow :tonguewink:

One of the most interesting things I have noticed recently is the lack of understanding from the media about a clubs strategy. Not on field tactics - but off field strategic direction. We dont take players just because they are there, only if they fit a purpose and a plan - both on field and longer term.
Like how the other player they suggested we get was Michael Barlow. Surely we're one of the last teams that would need or want him.

Reckon Bulldogs are waiting to see if Tom Downie is delisted
GWS has put a contract in front of him. Weighing up whether he wants to stay (he likes it there) and be behind Mummy and Lobb or come to Victoria for opportunities.

The reality is we know ( club supporters ) know far more than any media about our club and players.
Most in the media have little idea .

Yeah Dermot Brereton would have not handballed to an open
Lachie Hunter in the goal square in the first quarter either,
but i doubt he would have kicked it on the full. I have gazed
into the crystal ball and your career in player comparisons
has got off to a rocky start. Zaine kicked some critical
goals in the finals, but his role was very defensive.
Absolutely agree but but
What made dermot valuable was not just his goal kicking it was his ability to crash packs and bring it to ground - to be a menacing and aggressive and intimidate the defense. Now I reckon there are very few - very few who can do that as effectively as dermot did but Zaine did and maybe in the prelim and gf better than dermot.

1st goal prelim - Zaine comes from behind the pack towards a mongrel kick - works his way to the front, brings it to ground, follows up the lose ball and deftly hand balls to a clay running at goal - huge play.

Time after time he destroys packs and the accidental connection of his knee to wards head is classic brereton.

That preliminary final Zaine dropped 3 scorching chest mark passes - he marks them and kicks one or two of them and he is challenging clay for bog honours.

Grand final - our first goal - 20 minute mark. Zaine huge tackle and goal from the boundary. We are away.

You don't win finals and grand finals with too many spuds in your forward line. Zaine didn't take the big marks but his other work was elite.

For a 19 year old with virtually no forward experience I am sure the match committee are and were wondering- "now what the hell do we have here?" The flow on effect of his performance was huge.

I'm sure our reserves coach Hansen must have spent time helping Zaine with the role he played. As Hansen also no world beater played just that role at west coast for years. I expect Zaine has more than impressed Hansen with his performance.

Now Zaine may move down back
But I m also sure the question is being asked - "what do we have here?" Necessity is the mother of invention and Zaine offers more than a dozen other promising young talls in the afl.

All hail Zaine !

Absolutely agree but but
What made dermot valuable was not just his goal kicking it was his ability to crash packs and bring it to ground - to be a menacing and aggressive and intimidate the defense. Now I reckon there are very few - very few who can do that as effectively as dermot did but Zaine did and maybe in the prelim and gf better than dermot.

1st goal prelim - Zaine comes from behind the pack towards a mongrel kick - works his way to the front, brings it to ground, follows up the lose ball and deftly hand balls to a clay running at goal - huge play.

Time after time he destroys packs and the accidental connection of his knee to wards head is classic brereton.

That preliminary final Zaine dropped 3 scorching chest mark passes - he marks them and kicks one or two of them and he is challenging clay for bog honours.

Grand final - our first goal - 20 minute mark. Zaine huge tackle and goal from the boundary. We are away.

You don't win finals and grand finals with too many spuds in your forward line. Zaine didn't take the big marks but his other work was elite.

For a 19 year old with virtually no forward experience I am sure the match committee are and were wondering- "now what the hell do we have here?" The flow on effect of his performance was huge.

I'm sure our reserves coach Hansen must have spent time helping Zaine with the role he played. As Hansen also no world beater played just that role at west coast for years. I expect Zaine has more than impressed Hansen with his performance.

Now Zaine may move down back
But I m also sure the question is being asked - "what do we have here?" Necessity is the mother of invention and Zaine offers more than a dozen other promising young talls in the afl.

All hail Zaine !
I was not attempting to downgrade Zaine Cordy at all, but the
match committee might have been saying gee we lack an aerial
contest in the forward line. They did try Adams and Hamling
for small spurts during the year with little success.

If Dermott had kneed Callan Ward in the head it would not have
been accidental at all.;)

GWS has put a contract in front of him. Weighing up whether he wants to stay (he likes it there) and be behind Mummy and Lobb or come to Victoria for opportunities.
Interesting, he would sit behind Campbell and Roughead here, and he wouldn't be on a base salary either. We absolutely must get a ruck insurance policy but even as a DFA on a salary that would be above the minimum might be more than we're willing to pay for that insurance.

Interesting, he would sit behind Campbell and Roughead here, and he wouldn't be on a base salary either. We absolutely must get a ruck insurance policy but even as a DFA on a salary that would be above the minimum might be more than we're willing to pay for that insurance.

Not sure ruck insurance is that desperate (but do need another developing ruck).

I'd expect our order of preference to be:

- Roughy with TBoyd 2nd ruck
- If Roughy goes down then Campbell in.
- If both go down then TBoyd ruck with Cloke fwd.
- If all three go down (Roughy, Campbell and TBoyd) then yeah we are a bit stuck. But reckon Bevo would probably let Jong, Dunkley and Bont share the ruck before playing a second rate ruck.

So personally tend to think we'd go for a young developing ruck rather than a developed DFA one, unless the DFA was genuinely highly rated by us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back