Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely agree but but
What made dermot valuable was not just his goal kicking it was his ability to crash packs and bring it to ground - to be a menacing and aggressive and intimidate the defense. Now I reckon there are very few - very few who can do that as effectively as dermot did but Zaine did and maybe in the prelim and gf better than dermot.

1st goal prelim - Zaine comes from behind the pack towards a mongrel kick - works his way to the front, brings it to ground, follows up the lose ball and deftly hand balls to a clay running at goal - huge play.

Time after time he destroys packs and the accidental connection of his knee to wards head is classic brereton.

That preliminary final Zaine dropped 3 scorching chest mark passes - he marks them and kicks one or two of them and he is challenging clay for bog honours.

Grand final - our first goal - 20 minute mark. Zaine huge tackle and goal from the boundary. We are away.

You don't win finals and grand finals with too many spuds in your forward line. Zaine didn't take the big marks but his other work was elite.

For a 19 year old with virtually no forward experience I am sure the match committee are and were wondering- "now what the hell do we have here?" The flow on effect of his performance was huge.

I'm sure our reserves coach Hansen must have spent time helping Zaine with the role he played. As Hansen also no world beater played just that role at west coast for years. I expect Zaine has more than impressed Hansen with his performance.

Now Zaine may move down back
But I m also sure the question is being asked - "what do we have here?" Necessity is the mother of invention and Zaine offers more than a dozen other promising young talls in the afl.

All hail Zaine !
Very good observation.

I was not attempting to downgrade Zaine Cordy at all, but the
match committee might have been saying gee we lack an aerial
contest in the forward line. They did try Adams and Hamling
for small spurts during the year with little success.

If Dermott had kneed Callan Ward in the head it would not have
been accidental at all.;)

I remember when Derm kneed Tallis in the back of the head years ago he described it as being "like a careless riding charge which was dealt with pretty severely", so to Derm, big Bazza knocking Staker's lights out was just Bazza wiping an eyelash away from Staker's cheek.

I remember when Derm kneed Tallis in the back of the head years ago he described it as being "like a careless riding charge which was dealt with pretty severely", so to Derm, big Bazza knocking Staker's lights out was just Bazza wiping an eyelash away from Staker's cheek.
Dermott stood on his head and got seven for memory, it must be
hard for players like Tallis and Staker who grasped fame by
getting the shizen knocked out of them.

Our backline very much look like this in the next 2 years, an extra 12 months development into our young guys at VFL level isn't a bad thing.

Boyd Adams wood
JJ Morris Biggs

Smith Collins wood
Williams cordy jj

There is every chance that we go for a big name key back type and allow cordy playing that 3rd tall role
So, where are you playing Bob Murphy?

Sigh. And so the circus continues...

Why there isn't one week of trading followed by a week of delisted free agency followed by a single draft is beyond me. The current offseason system is needlessly complicated, obtuse and archaic. Join the 21st century AFL....
Agree entirely, but the current systrm is designed to maximise the time the AFL spends in the headlines and in the papers ... Publicity and profile is king in the AFL's eyes....

Agree entirely, but the current systrm is designed to maximise the time the AFL spends in the headlines and in the papers ... Publicity and profile is king in the AFL's eyes....
Yep

Their major rival soccer is on now, gotta keep pumping that pro-AFL PR up until cricket season well and truly takes over around Xmas when the tests and Big Bash are on at the same time.

Yep

Their major rival soccer is on now, gotta keep pumping that pro-AFL PR up until cricket season well and truly takes over around Xmas when the tests and Big Bash are on at the same time.
Brief hiatus over Christmas and then the pre-season predictions and countdown begins...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep

I do wonder how 'pro-AFL' the PR is going to be when they're just about to ban a #1 draft pick and yet ANOTHER player for drug use...

For the very life of me, I cannot understand why so many on here want to top up our list with other's rejects. We have already traded in one, how many list cloggers do folks want ? For mine we go to the draft with our 3 < 50 picks, then any spots left [main list or rooky] we hope M Hannan, and or young B Long are still about.

For the very life of me, I cannot understand why so many on here want to top up our list with other's rejects. We have already traded in one, how many list cloggers do folks want ? For mine we go to the draft with our 3 < 50 picks, then any spots left [main list or rooky] we hope M Hannan, and or young B Long are still about.

Essendon want Long at 41

Essendon want Long at 41
Just a hunch? Or is there actual substance to that? Would of thought 41 was a bit high for him, seeing he has only played 6 VFL games and he will take a while to get an AFL ready body and there was barely word spoken about him until he kicked 6 in a 119 point win in the Prelim.

I do wonder how 'pro-AFL' the PR is going to be when they're just about to ban a #1 draft pick and yet ANOTHER player for drug use...
They'll find a way

Deflect somewhere else etc. It's the lovechild being punished, can't be too much publicity

While I agree in general, as an example - if we thought that Richards from Sydney could work as a Z Cordy type swingman - it would be worth a spot for a year or two. But the LM team and Bevo seem to be working quite well as a team - so I am happy to leave it as their call..

I'm 100% with you and would rather try and see if Hannan offers anything than some of the rejects going around.

Agreed. We are the AFL and VFL premiers, why would we create a list vacancy and pick up a DFA from a less successful club.

While I agree in general, as an example - if we thought that Richards from Sydney could work as a Z Cordy type swingman - it would be worth a spot for a year or two. But the LM team and Bevo seem to be working quite well as a team - so I am happy to leave it as their call..
Yeah TDC, of the delisted he is about the only one of much interest, and could have seen some potential there [ possibly], had we not gone for Cloke. Young Hannan I think has more potential upside, for a similar squad balance/spot. More pace, at least as good a mark, and courageous, plus a proven goal kicker. So under the circumstances, I still wouldn't bother with any DFA. By the way, does that stand for has..Done F All ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back