VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

I have the VFL app and looked at the ladder and it has the usual wins, losses , draws ,% and points column. However the final column it has MR , does anyone know what MR stands for ? We are 67.6… whatever that means? And why is it on the ladder when it’s all about the points?

Match Ratio

It's less important now that we're in the last week of the season, but has more relevance during the season due to VFL teams having 4 byes - that means you'll often have teams having played a different number of games, so the MR (match ratio) gives a more accurate reflection of the ladder based on games played rather than just games won

Something I'm surprised we didn't see earlier this year in the AFL considering we had 'Round 0' and it took a while until all 18 teams were actually on the same number of games played

They play Humphries in the VFL ever again I'll be big mad

So will i with mannagh. Never should be vfl again.

Anyway it will be basically the same vfl squad (plus maybe mullin and knevitt dropping back) that plays in 2 weeks after the wildcard round.

I wasn't able to catch the game today. Did any AFL-listed players make a good case for a senior recall?

Parfitt - 28 disposals, 17/18 contested, 12 clearances and 10 tackles

He was our clear best out there

Not sure we'll see him in the seniors next week though

Parfitt - 28 disposals, 17/18 contested, 12 clearances and 10 tackles

He was our clear best out there

Not sure we'll see him in the seniors next week though

I didn't think so myself. Just lacks any true qualities.
I felt Bews was excellent and looked the most composed. Not been a fan of his lately but was very solid.

Can see why Hardie isn't getting games. Tough, nuggety old school type but like Parfitt, doesn't tip the scales our way. We are better off playing Stewart as we are through the middle.

Young Pike in ruck was impressive.
O'Sullivan the other one who has that 'it' factor. Absolute gun in the making.

George Stevens was another who looks the goods. Impressive physique. Built like a tank and surprisingly taller than expected. Holds up well in tackles. Looks a couple years more advanced than Clark whereas Clark is already going in hard like Viney did at 19 years of age.

Last edited:
What a ripping lad Lawson Humphries is had a quick chat today and he apologies to me for the second half performance.
I said Lawson I’m 53 I’ve seen a bucket load of great cats football not to be disappointed about last night. I liked the look of Furphy big lad moves well will just need time and development. On Phoenix Foster the 2 times I’ve watched him play has shocking body language when he’s not getting the ball or gets hit up.

What a ripping lad Lawson Humphries is had a quick chat today and he apologies to me for the second half performance.
I said Lawson I’m 53 I’ve seen a bucket load of great cats football not to be disappointed about last night. I liked the look of Furphy big lad moves well will just need time and development. On Phoenix Foster the 2 times I’ve watched him play has shocking body language when he’s not getting the ball or gets hit up.

Yeah Furphy was good too 👍

Do you think Foster lacks the fitness required?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't able to catch the game today. Did any AFL-listed players make a good case for a senior recall?

Hardie absolutely but they wont pick him hes done (which is sad).
Parfitt was decent too but he wont play for us again.
Clark was quite good but i dont think will come back in.

Willis is a way off afl but may have earnt himself a 1 year deal.
I dont think any of these will go up to afl it will just be bruhn back in.

Yeah Furphy was good too 👍

Do you think Foster lacks the fitness required?

Furphy showed some nice signs but hes miles off.

My issue with foster is his skills are good but he tends to drop his head when things arent going well. Not sure if he makes it but id maybe give him 1 year.

My issue with foster is his skills are good but he tends to drop his head when things arent going well. Not sure if he makes it but id maybe give him 1 year.

He's also slow.
Remember David Mensch?
Shorter in stature but very slow compared to footballers of similar size.

Just not sure there is anyone who really looks a standout at the moment. Certainly no one for Sandringham looked AFL worthy.

Unfortunately we have quite a few young ones that seem well of the pace even at VFL level. and not enough draft picks to cover

Hardie absolutely but they wont pick him hes done (which is sad).
Parfitt was decent too but he wont play for us again.
Clark was quite good but i dont think will come back in.

Willis is a way off afl but may have earnt himself a 1 year deal.
I dont think any of these will go up to afl it will just be bruhn back in.
Reckon I’d hold onto Willis for another 12 months too, but that’s it if he can’t break in.

Absolutely atm he does. Hes a big lad. Just keep developing him I say.
I agree. Foster only turns 20 in September and has shown there is a bit to work with. Nowhere near as athletic as Shannon Neale but has shown more raw football ability than Neale and Neale's body language in his early years was worse than Foster's (largely a confidence issue I think).

Hardie and Parfitt were both good. But there was nothing classy about either game. They're bigger, stronger and fitter than most VFL mids but they won't be that at AFL level.

Clark is an elite defensive player. I watched him closely in the second half. He was playing a defensive mid role back from the stoppage and broke up a heap of play then used it well the other way. He's the only one from yesterday I'd be confident of playing a role at AFL level but it would have to be that specific role.

My only worry with Clark is whether he's so committed with his body that he'll be repeatedly suspended as that physicality goes out of the game. He could get a week for a tackle from behind where momentum took the opponent's head into the ground even though he didn't do a lot wrong. If he'd been concussed he'd probably get 3.

Notice Wiltshire only had few possessions - was he injured?

It was his first game since round 4 - from what I saw he was playing predominantly forward and it's likely they were also heavily managing his minutes to not run him into the ground first match back

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back