Opinion We need to move back to the MCG

Should the Bombers play the majority of home games at the MCG (let's say a minimum of 7)?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan26

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Werribee
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Back in the late 1990's I was never supportive of the move to play the majority of our games at Marvel Stadium. At the time we were the biggest club in the land, with the biggest crowds and the most members, and I saw the move as a cap on our potential. It was sold to members at the time as financially necessary because the MCG didn't have the corporate facilities that the new stadium would have. The problem with that was that with a few short years the MCG would be redeveloped and those lack of facilities at the MCG would now be a huge advantage to any club playing there permanently, so the very reason we moved there was now irrelevant.

But over the years, the data has shown that the the MCG clubs have had far more success than the clubs based at Marvel Stadium.

Over the last 20 years, the MCG tenants and the other "outdoor" club - Geelong - have won 14 premierships.

Non Marvel clubs over the last 20 years
Melbourne - 1 premiership
Richmond - 3 premierships
Collingwood -2 premierships
Hawthorn - 4 premierships
Geelong - 4 premierships
Total - 14 premierships.

Marvel clubs over the last 20 years

Bulldogs - 1 premiership (which was a fluke from 7th!)

One of the trends Essendon has endured over the last 20 years is what I would term "soft kills" over non-Victorian clubs at Marvel Stadium that keep us in contention for the top-8 but do next to nothing for our development. Weve seen that already for a couple of games this year and no doubt that will continue against Adelaide in a few weeks.

But when it gets tough in winter in the cold and dew of the MCG we have failed. We have won only 7 out of 22 night games at the MCG.

Moreover, look at the "type" of clubs that call the MCG home compared to Marvel (I'll leave the Demons out because they are an original MCG tenant going back to the 19th century.)

Coll- Big club - MCG
Haw- Big club - MCG
Rich - Big club MCG
Carl - Big club now split 50-50 between the two venues

Nth.Melb - small club Marvel
Bulldogs - small club Marvel
St.Kilda- Small club Marvel.
Essendon - Big club Marvel

Notice something that doesn't fit? What club appears to be in the wrong group?

I love Marvel as a venue, but the reality is if we are to reach our potential as a club, both on and off the field, we need to get away from the soft Marvel kills and return to playing the majority of our home games at the MCG. It's now been a quarter of a century, which is long enough. Can you imagine Richmond or Collingwood CHOOSING to play 7 home games at Marvel Stadium? They would plainly never make that choice, and in my opinion it's time the Bombers returned home.

The stats don't lie, teams win more premierships when they play at the MCG compared to winning a premiership at Marvel.

Eh, 8 games at one, 9 the other. It isn't as if we don't play a lot of football there.

I'm not saying no. I just don't really care either way

MCG.

Football is a game of inches. Even if playing more games at the MCG makes us 5% better at that venue in the long run, it's worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I may be on my lonesome but I dont mind the split between Marvel/MCG. I dont know if the vibe would've been the same after the GWS game (nor the result) if it were at the G. We really make Marvel our own when we have a big contingent there.

I don't think where we play our home games is the reason we've been performing where we've been as a club. We've been a mid-table side for the best part of 20 years. Moving to the MCG might be nice in terms of accommodating more fans, and if we become decent is probably a percentage advantage in performance for big games and finals on the MCG, but won't inherently make us less mid-table.

We've made a shitload of money out of playing at Marvel at least I guess.

Honestly I don't know.
Long run yes it'll probably be good to play our home games at the G, but in the short term it'll likely cause some pain.
We've performed much, much better at Marvel than the G for years now. At the moment while we are possibly entering a window in which we can do some damage in September I'm not sure altering our home ground advantage is the best move.

I dont know if the vibe would've been the same after the GWS game (nor the result) if it were at the G. We really make Marvel our own when we have a big contingent there.

To me this is part of the problem. We've become too comfortable with the "vibe" of these soft kills versus these non-Victorian teams.

Whilst I accept that where you play shouldn't have an impact on whether you win premierships, the statistics show a huge difference between MCG clubs and Marvel, and I think in large this is cultural, not physical. A club that is ambitious in actions and seeks to maximize the clubs supporter-base and potential will often achieve better long term results.

The culture of a club from the top down is probably the most important thing to get right. It sets a standard of what you want the club to be and how you want them to be perceived.

To me this is part of the problem. We've become too comfortable with the "vibe" of these soft kills versus these non-Victorian teams.

Whilst I accept that where you play shouldn't have an impact on whether you win premierships, the statistics show a huge difference between MCG clubs and Marvel, and I think in large this is cultural, not physical. A club that is ambitious in actions and seeks to maximize the clubs supporter-base and potential will often achieve better long term results.

The culture of a club from the top down is probably the most important thing to get right. It sets a standard of what you want the club to be and how you want them to be perceived.
Doesnt every interstate team and Geelong basically have the same set up though?

I was speaking from an attendance perspective that I know a lot of supporters dont like it but personally I like going to Marvel for the reasons I outlined (plus you have a good view from every seat). It obviously pales in comparison to the atmosphere at the G when we play other big Melbourne teams but obviously that wont be the case if we played interstate teams/Roos/Saints etc at the G.

Back