Opinion We need to move back to the MCG

Should the Bombers play the majority of home games at the MCG (let's say a minimum of 7)?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say most voting for the MCG do not live North of the city or do not go every week.
walter white GIF

Honestly I don't know.
Long run yes it'll probably be good to play our home games at the G, but in the short term it'll likely cause some pain.
We've performed much, much better at Marvel than the G for years now. At the moment while we are possibly entering a window in which we can do some damage in September I'm not sure altering our home ground advantage is the best move.

Not sure altering our home ground advantage s the best move if we're entering a window?

I'd argue that if we're entering a window then we'd want to play at the MCG as often as possible.

In an ideal sense, Marvel would act like a true home ground advantage for us in a sea of Melbourne teams, but since we play the bigger clubs at the MCG due to crowd numbers, and play the smaller clubs of Melb in the stadium they're also residents of, it makes any home ground advantage void. If say, some of the smaller clubs of Melb were not residents of Marvel or played the Pies, Tigers or Hawks there then it'd be advantageous but it ain't the case.

We belong at the MCG and in a way, the smaller tenants of Marvel would benefit more of that by getting a bigger slice of the pie with us out of the way.

I'd be surprised if they allowed us to do it without Richmond or Hawthorn agreeing to make up games at Marvel so for that reason I doubt it will happen. We're probably stuck at Marvel now.
Take back windy Hill. If the AFL pumped as much money into upgrading it as they have north Melbourne it would be the best stadium in Australia

Take back windy Hill. If the AFL pumped as much money into upgrading it as they have north Melbourne it would be the best stadium in Australia
I'd be all for that!

Back to this poll. Apart from our team gaining valuable exp playing on the MCG where finals football is played, it never made much sense to me the move as a fan.
We were continually generating crowds of 70k+ before the Marvel move. It really did smack of the leadership of the club, at the time, looking after the money rather than the supporter interest.
Around 2000 we were likely the biggest club in Australia, by supporter base. Now we poll to be around the 3-4 biggest in Vic. Sure we haven't had great luck in the last 20 years, but I'd say Marvel played a part in stunting our fan base.

Back