What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if he did.. means nothing

Was reported on news tonight , reason that he’s not getting enough time in seniors. Structure can’t support Lobb, English, JUH, Darcy and Astro (even out for a few weeks) at the same time

A lot of it will come down to how much money is left on Lobb’s contract. If it has been front loaded, we can hold for a good deal or hold him to his contract.

If it’s back ended we likely be happy to move him for little return.

Was reported on news tonight , reason that he’s not getting enough time in seniors. Structure can’t support Lobb, English, JUH, Darcy and Astro (even out for a few weeks) at the same time

Reported on the news... Not shooting the messenger here, but 😆

The news these days is running below real estate agents and used car salesmen in the credibility stakes.

It's half way through the year.

I highly doubt that.

Doesn't mean it won't happen but it's highly unlikely he has now

Loved old Jack Dyer "I heard Les Bamblett had a great debut last week, but I think he had an even better one today"....and cant forget Harry Beitzel and Tommy Lahiff...."Are you there Tommy...Tommy you there?.....I'm here Harry, can you hear me Harry?.... I can hear you Tommy....."

Gold.
In the 70's my football life revolved around the radio with Peter "Smooth" Booth and Smokie Dawson fantastic callers on the ABC. Smokie often called "the ball burster" . Brought the game to life.

In the 70's my football life revolved around the radio with Peter "Smooth" Booth and Smokie Dawson fantastic callers on the ABC. Smokie often called "the ball burster" . Brought the game to life.

That was used for the Boyd GF goal along with Tim Lane’s “It’s a Jezalenko type shot, from near the middle…”

Good old Doug Bigelow.was a ripper too

hes not wrong. a trade at the end of this year might end up being right for everybody.

I'm fine with it if it happens. Obviously has a very high opinion of his ability.

You would think someone with such a high opinion would back himself to make it rather than take the easy way out.

I'm fine with it if it happens. Obviously has a very high opinion of his ability.

You would think someone with such a high opinion would back himself to make it rather than take the easy way out.

He has less ability than English, Naughton, Marra and Darcy. He’s not getting a game unless one is injured, no matter how much he backs himself in. It’s just the reality.

Lobb has requested a trade at end of season

That is very early to go with this. The last time I can remember this happening was Lachie Henderson at the blues and they refuse to play him for the rest the season. If we select him we know he has not got his heart soul in it. Strange given he was likely to get a call up this week why come out with a public trade request.
hes not wrong. a trade at the end of this year might end up being right for everybody.

There must be a Melbourne club come knocking. Would not be surprised if it was the pies. Cox probably in his last season.

i'm not certain there is a market for Lobb, well at least a respectable trade. Interesting that the grub got the scoop, if it is a scoop.
There would absolutely be a market for any contender in need of a backup ruck for a few years.

It's remarkably simple for me. He can walk to the Pies or Demons for their second round picks (35-40) before they're pushed back. That's a fair trade for both sides and if we were genuinely prepared to keep him, then we do hold some leverage as a contracted player.

Lobb would walk into both teams best 22 and help them immensely IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On one hand I’m glad we have Lobb as backup with Naughton out, but the trade never seemed like a great idea.

English, Darcy, Naughton and JUH were all looking strong late 2022. Was always going to be impossible to play all of them.

Not having a go at you, Mike...

We seem to be in the era of ''journos'' making a statement on mainstream media that might make a bit of sense, but with nothing to back it up, in the hope that it does happen.

Then they can say, ''...as reported here first...''

If it doesn't happen, the original ''news'' is never brought up again.

Can't lose, can they?

Lobb playing VFL does him no favours career wise, he could lose a year or two overall if he stays there and can't get a contract at the end of this one due to loss of reputation. Several clubs would have him playing all season and he could play on several more years at these clubs, for decent money.

We obviously want him as backup. English appears to be no guarantee to stay, his path opens up if there is a departure / serious injury.

News probably running a potential story with some truth, but if he isn't looking around it would be surprising.

I'm ok either way, if we sold him something that has now changed I've no problem with him looking elsewhere. He's average on average money and currently surplus to requirements for us.

On one hand I’m glad we have Lobb as backup with Naughton out, but the trade never seemed like a great idea.

English, Darcy, Naughton and JUH were all looking strong late 2022. Was always going to be impossible to play all of them.
He was always traded in as temporary fill. Hes still a good backup, and handy right now. And who knows, with no Astro in the forward line Lobb might do ok.

Timings right for him to move on though, if we get what we need

Not having a go at you, Mike...

We seem to be in the era of ''journos'' making a statement on mainstream media that might make a bit of sense, but with nothing to back it up, in the hope that it does happen.

Then they can say, ''...as reported here first...''

If it doesn't happen, the original ''news'' is never brought up again.

Can't lose, can they?

I get where you're coming from. The "rumor" has a bit of traction now and has been picked up by a few news outlets. Being the media thread it was the most appropriate place to dump it ;)

Fox Footy Article

Saints legend Nick Dal Santo has hit back at the idea that the Western Bulldogs haven’t delivered their promise to Rory Lobb as he seeks a trade to a fourth club at season’s end.

Lobb is reportedly set to ask to be traded away from Whitten Oval with two years left on his deal. Reports state the 31-year old is frustrated after being told he was set to play a key role in the Dogs’ forward line in a personal pitch from Luke Beveridge before crossing to the club at the end of 2022.

The 207cm ex-Docker and Giant has booted 25 goals from 23 games for the Dogs – including one major from three appearances this season – starting the year in the senior side over Sam Darcy.
No matter what Lobb was told before moving to the Kennel, Dal Santo believes it’s incumbent on both parties to hold themselves to a certain standard.

“I don’t like the storyline that he was almost promised a position in the forward line. You have to earn your spot every week,” Dal Santo told foxfooty.com.au.
“It’s not fair to say to Luke Beveridge: ‘You told me I was going to play an integral role’.

“If your performance doesn’t warrant it, you need to have integrity in selection as well. You can’t just be gifted that position because you were told you would.

“Near Lobb’s best, he probably is in their best team and an integral piece for them. But that doesn’t mean you just get it because someone said it to you, you’ve got to go out and earn it.
“I’ve got no issue with it from a Beveridge perspective and I’ve got no issue with Lobb saying: ‘I just want to play senior football. If that means at a fourth club, so be it’.”

It comes as Lobb is in line for a senior reprieve with Aaron Naughton facing up to six weeks on the sidelines with a medial ligament injury to open up a key forward role in Beveridge’s side.

It reportedly still won’t affect Lobb’s determination to find a new home at the end of the season though in an early trade domino.
While such instances are rare in the AFL landscape, Dal Santo thinks it’s the way of the future and should be normalised moving forward like in other sporting codes.

“I think there’s a piece around this being the new age and the world we’re living in,” the St Kilda champion said.

“Other sports do it and are very mature about it, ruby league coaches even do it. Our industry doesn’t.

“But I think we’re mature enough to understand that players are exploring moves behind the scenes, this one is just more public. I’ve got no issue with it.”

Melbourne, North Melbourne, St Kilda and Collingwood are the clubs said to be in the mix for a key forward/ruck player, though none have been linked specifically to Lobb.

Dal Santo suggested the Magpies and Kangaroos make the most sense as landing spots of those clubs, but ultimately thinks he needs to make his own luck wherever he’s playing in 2025.

“My take broadly on any player is if you’re a good player, you play anywhere,” he said.

“You’ve got to accept where you are, but if you want to be the main man, you’ve got to do more than you’ve done.”

Fox Footy Article

Saints legend Nick Dal Santo has hit back at the idea that the Western Bulldogs haven’t delivered their promise to Rory Lobb as he seeks a trade to a fourth club at season’s end.

Lobb is reportedly set to ask to be traded away from Whitten Oval with two years left on his deal. Reports state the 31-year old is frustrated after being told he was set to play a key role in the Dogs’ forward line in a personal pitch from Luke Beveridge before crossing to the club at the end of 2022.

The 207cm ex-Docker and Giant has booted 25 goals from 23 games for the Dogs – including one major from three appearances this season – starting the year in the senior side over Sam Darcy.
No matter what Lobb was told before moving to the Kennel, Dal Santo believes it’s incumbent on both parties to hold themselves to a certain standard.

“I don’t like the storyline that he was almost promised a position in the forward line. You have to earn your spot every week,” Dal Santo told foxfooty.com.au.
“It’s not fair to say to Luke Beveridge: ‘You told me I was going to play an integral role’.

“If your performance doesn’t warrant it, you need to have integrity in selection as well. You can’t just be gifted that position because you were told you would.

“Near Lobb’s best, he probably is in their best team and an integral piece for them. But that doesn’t mean you just get it because someone said it to you, you’ve got to go out and earn it.
“I’ve got no issue with it from a Beveridge perspective and I’ve got no issue with Lobb saying: ‘I just want to play senior football. If that means at a fourth club, so be it’.”

It comes as Lobb is in line for a senior reprieve with Aaron Naughton facing up to six weeks on the sidelines with a medial ligament injury to open up a key forward role in Beveridge’s side.

It reportedly still won’t affect Lobb’s determination to find a new home at the end of the season though in an early trade domino.
While such instances are rare in the AFL landscape, Dal Santo thinks it’s the way of the future and should be normalised moving forward like in other sporting codes.

“I think there’s a piece around this being the new age and the world we’re living in,” the St Kilda champion said.

“Other sports do it and are very mature about it, ruby league coaches even do it. Our industry doesn’t.

“But I think we’re mature enough to understand that players are exploring moves behind the scenes, this one is just more public. I’ve got no issue with it.”

Melbourne, North Melbourne, St Kilda and Collingwood are the clubs said to be in the mix for a key forward/ruck player, though none have been linked specifically to Lobb.

Dal Santo suggested the Magpies and Kangaroos make the most sense as landing spots of those clubs, but ultimately thinks he needs to make his own luck wherever he’s playing in 2025.

“My take broadly on any player is if you’re a good player, you play anywhere,” he said.

“You’ve got to accept where you are, but if you want to be the main man, you’ve got to do more than you’ve done.”
A surprisingly measured and logical piece.

The shock jocks of the AFL will hate such considered balance.

Saw this coming, Darcy is developing in leaps and bounds and on his current trajectory will be better than his dad.

They’re too tall IMO. If Lobb had a defensive capability he’d be fine but stacking the forward line hasn’t worked so far

There would absolutely be a market for any contender in need of a backup ruck for a few years.

It's remarkably simple for me. He can walk to the Pies or Demons for their second round picks (35-40) before they're pushed back. That's a fair trade for both sides and if we were genuinely prepared to keep him, then we do hold some leverage as a contracted player.

Lobb would walk into both teams best 22 and help them immensely IMO.

I think there is a good market for lobb. Others have been alluding to various teams. They are out there. I think Lobby is worth no later than about pick 25.

Not to mention Doug Heywood accurate and calm no screaming like Turtle neck Hudson

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back