What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's another statistical footnote to Saturday's win:
"... with the Cats soundly dismantled on just about every category that matters, not least the scoreboard in a 47-point defeat. None of the Cats’ goals came during either the first or last quarter – something that hasn’t happened since 1970."

How many years ago was that?

article about 'most improved player at the club' says for us its Rhylee West. hard to argue with. Ed has stepped up to one of the competitions best mids which is amazing, but he was already one of the comps best small defenders, while West has gone from fringe player to locked in.

I think Westy must have accepted that he is not (at this stage) going to be a starting mid, and is instead embracing being the best small forward he can be, and one that is primarily a threat at ground level which is exactly what the team needs.

None of the Hawks win approach the quality of our Freo, Carlton or Geelong wins but they are playing really well. I don't think it automatically means they have arrived, but they are definitely out of the bottom 4 hell.
I can see them maybe troubling Carlton, they are a somewhat “slow” team unlike the Hawks.

THEY have coped without him, but the Western Bulldogs could be boosted by the return of star defender Liam Jones for this weekend's trip to Sydney to face the Swans at the SCG.

The 33-year-old has missed the past three games due to the moderate-grade medial ligament injury he suffered in the round 16 win over North Melbourne.

Jones hasn't returned to full training yet, but is set to reintegrate into the main group this week, with the hope he can face the ladder leaders on Sunday.
The veteran will need to prove his fitness by Friday to be cleared to face Sydney, but there is growing confidence he will face John Longmire's side.

Rory Lobb has thrived in Jones' absence to reignite his career at the Whitten Oval, after spending most of the first half of the year playing in the VFL. The former Greater Western Sydney and Fremantle forward has starred in defence across the month in one of the positional moves of the season.
Lobb quelled Coleman medallist Jeremy Cameron on Saturday night to help lead the Bulldogs to a 47-point win, finishing with 21 disposals, 14 intercept possessions and nine marks at GMHBA Stadium.

Lobb finished with 21 disposals, 14 intercept possessions and nine marks against the Cats, continuing his stunning reinvention as a key defender.

Rory Lobb's big month​

RD 16-19RATING
AFL Player Ratings12.6Elite
Disposals15.3Above Average
Contested Possessions6.3Above Average
Marks7.5Elite
Intercept Marks4.5Elite
Intercept Possessions9.0Elite
Across the past month, only Essendon recruit Ben McKay (47) and Carlton star Jacob Weitering (39) have registered more intercept possessions than Lobb's tally of 36.

New Port Adelaide defender Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (19) is the only player in the competition who has taken more intercept marks than Lobb (18), with Weitering also hauling in that many, just ahead of McKay (16) and Aliir Aliir (16).
Lobb has also won five of eight (63 per cent) one-on-one contests, which is well above the AFL average (30 per cent) for a defender.

Luke Beveridge has opted to play Lobb and Buku Khamis as the defensive keys without Jones and with Ryan Gardner (wrist) and James O'Donnell (concussion) sidelined lately. Alex Keath has spent the past fortnight playing for Footscray at VFL level after recovering from a hamstring strain.

And with Lobb reinventing himself down back, the Dogs have one of the best spines in the AFL.

NEARLY 35 years after a tin-rattling campaign in the streets of Footscray ended a proposed merger with Fitzroy, the Western Bulldogs have officially reopened the Mission Whitten Oval following the completion of a state-of-the-art $78 million redevelopment.

After commencing construction in March 2022, following years of negotiations behind the scenes, the training and administration base has now been handed over in a landmark moment for a club that was once debt-riddled and set to become the Fitzroy Bulldogs in 1989.

The iconic E.J. Whitten Stand has been transformed across the past two years and now houses the administration staff, club museum, an 82-seat theatrette with a 10 square-metre video board, matchday pavilion with 920 undercover seats painted red, white and blue and a new merchandise shop.

The football department has been settled in the Barkly Street end of the of the new facility for most of the season, where an 1800 square-metre indoor training field has been built next to what is believed to be the largest gym in the AFL, as well as a heat chamber, 15-person sauna, and cold and hot pools.
Western Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains said the project started not long after the club ended its 62-year premiership drought in 2016, and is the culmination of significant contributions from many, most notably former president Peter Gordon, who helped save the club from the merger in the late 1980s and then returned in 2012 to help protect its long-term health, securing $36 million in funding from the Victorian Government for the redevelopment.

"A project of this nature doesn't materialise easily. There is a lot of groundwork that needs to be undertaken, ranging from sourcing the funding to the ideas and the design. It has been a project that has been eight years in the making. The club owes a great deal of gratitude to former president Peter Gordon, who was instrumental in pushing for government support many years ago," Bains told AFL.com.au.
Bains said the transformation of Whitten Oval will stun former players and staff members who return for the first time to discover a facility that is as well-equipped as any across the AFL and fill them with pride, which is what occurred last week during a day for father-son prospects at the club during the school holidays.

"I think for everyone that has been closely connected with the club over time there is that element of equal parts pride and equal parts disbelief," Bains said.

"Our president, Kylie Watson-Wheeler, used to come to Whitten Oval as a girl when it didn't look like it does now. Her involvement in the project in the last few years has been integral.

"We have a lot of past players into the club and it came as a bit of shock to them last week when a number of them came for a father-son day."
Across Luke Beveridge's 10 years at the Kennel, the Bulldogs have almost annually targeted the trade and free agency periods to improve the list, signing Adam Treloar, Liam Jones, Josh Bruce, Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath and Rory Lobb in that time, as well as James Harmes and Nick Coffield last October.

The new Mission Whitten Oval will challenge Sydney, Carlton, West Coast, Essendon and Collingwood for the best facilities in the competition, making the Dogs an attractive proposition for those looking for a new club.

While the environment and the calibre of people inside the building contribute to becoming a 'destination club', Beveridge believes the new facility will help attract and retain talent in future, with the premiership coach cheekily admitting it will help woo those who come for covert tours after dark.
"I've been extremely proud of how far the club's come, been really grateful for the men and women who have sat on boards, been philanthropists, rattled cans or formally been employed or contracted with our football club to get our club to this unbelievable position. It is just an incredible place to come every day," Beveridge said.

"At this time of year, if you're thinking about acquisition options as far as your list management goes, it is the time where clubs are talking to players, and if you're ever going to have a sneaky visit from an opposition player, it is now a place where it is one of the priorities to say come and have a look at where you might be doing your weights or swimming in the pool and feeling the vibe, getting a free coffee. We haven't been in that position before but now we are. It is a good place to be."

The free coffee Beveridge is referring to comes via the custom-made La Marzocco machine on level one, which has instantly become a central meeting place for every member of the organisation, connecting the administration with the football department for the first time in a long time.
The Western Bulldogs' AFLW team will host four home games at Mission Whitten Oval later this year, plus two other night fixtures between North Melbourne and Port Adelaide, and Essendon and Sydney in September and October. Pre-season AFL games will also be held at the new facility in future.

After years of construction and even longer of planning, the Western Bulldogs now have a home that is the envy of the competition.

"At this time of year, if you're thinking about acquisition options as far as your list management goes, it is the time where clubs are talking to players, and if you're ever going to have a sneaky visit from an opposition player, it is now a place where it is one of the priorities to say come and have a look at where you might be doing your weights or swimming in the pool and feeling the vibe, getting a free coffee. We haven't been in that position before but now we are. It is a good place to be."

Remember Garcia, you may have been promised the world in your Geelong tour, but did they give you free coffee? Didn't think so.

Jeremy Cameron just on Seven News: "Saturday night was one of the worst games I've ever played."

mmmm, me thinks he can't remember the 2016 prelim.

Last edited:
Jeremy Cameron just on Seven News: "Saturday night was one of the worst games I've ever played."

mmmm, me thinks he can't remember the 2016 prelim.
Heard him on a podcast talking about the 2016 prelim was the worst game he’s ever played and he’s been so good since because of how crap he was that night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks MYOB
I pretty much avoid SEN these days, but Sanderson, and particularly Davis, gave some great insights. Is Davis just a commentator these days? Wonder if he's interested in coaching at all.

Heard him on a podcast talking about the 2016 prelim was the worst game he’s ever played and he’s been so good since because of how crap he was that night.
He was garbage for the first 3 quarters of Geelong’s 2022 grand final win over Sydney too before stat padding and celebrating like a flog in junk time. Also only had 4 possession (although 2 goals) in the big 2021 PF against the Dees. He’s had some very quiet games on the big stage.

Similar story on the ABC:

What I thought was interesting was this quote from Longmire (and others have made similar comments in the media recently):
"We were right off it," he said.

"We didn't lead and push back with the ferocity that we normally do.

"We've been competitive for the entire season and we weren't tonight.

"We got off to another poor start and not any real part of our game looked like it should."
I find it interesting because the same sorts of things were said about Geelong (and by Geelong) last week, and I think the same with Carlton the week before. None of the geniuses in the media have had a look at those three events and worked out what the common thread was. Us. They're looking in the wrong place. The Bulldogs are the common ingredient. We're the ones making it happen to each of those top three clubs.

Maybe one of them will read this board this week and the penny will drop.

What I thought was interesting was this quote from Longmire (and others have made similar comments in the media recently):

I find it interesting because the same sorts of things were said about Geelong (and by Geelong) last week, and I think the same with Carlton the week before. None of the geniuses in the media have had a look at those three events and worked out what the common thread was. Us. They're looking in the wrong place. The Bulldogs are the common ingredient. We're the ones making it happen to each of those top three clubs.

There was a post on the Sydney board saying they think the dogs are their main threat for the flag and they don't want to play us in the finals. At least some of them get it, the media and experts still don't trust us though

We're so lucky that we keep coming up against teams who are having an off day/night.

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back