What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Twice in two nights, special guests on 360 analyse the selflessness of the WB with Libba and Ed putting blocks on for each other.

Kingy was glowing in his praise of the WB, saying we're doing what most of the other teams aren't doing. He spoke about the intangibles.

He has tipped us to win our remaining four and said, "If the Dogs finish fourth, now that's a whole different ball game".

Twice in two nights, special guests on 360 analyse the selflessness of the WB with Libba and Ed putting blocks on for each other.

Kingy was glowing in his praise of the WB, saying we're doing what most of the other teams aren't doing. He spoke about the intangibles.

He has tipped us to win our remaining four and said, "If the Dogs finish fourth, now that's a whole different ball game".

Setting us up for a spectacular choke against Dees on Friday. No idea how we are favourites, we are their bunnies.

Setting us up for a spectacular choke against Dees on Friday. No idea how we are favourites, we are their bunnies.

We are favourites let’s behave and play like we are favourites against a side that’s had us as their bunnies

Been a big week in media and retro round let’s finish it off on Friday

I am concerned about this week too. For the first time this year we have won three games in a row. My love for and interest in mathematics, statistical analysis and Euclidean geometry tells me that we haven’t won four games in a row this year. We are up against it.

Not the right place I know, but just watching a replay of the game from the weekend.

My distain for Brian Taylor is generally pretty clear, but check out this gibberish;

[Talking of Swans injuries], "If McIntyre (sic. I assume he means McInerney), Rowbottom, Papley and Rampe are out for any length of period, it really starts to hurt."

Then, a bit later, after Melican is subbed with a hamstring, "Take 4 or 5 of your best players out of any side in the competition, and all of a sudden it can reduce you somewhat."

I mean, he's somehow turned himself into a stupidly well paid "personality" so I guess I can't question his intelligence, but he's lazy, unknowledgeable and more mute button friendly than anyone else on the planet.

I am concerned about this week too. For the first time this year we have won three games in a row. My love for and interest in mathematics, statistical analysis and Euclidean geometry tells me that we haven’t won four games in a row this year. We are up against it.
:think:
Hmmm ... that's an interesting angle.

Not sure if it's an acute observation or just being obtuse.

My love of the gambler's fallacy tells me that we are due for a loss.

Not the right place I know, but just watching a replay of the game from the weekend.

My distain for Brian Taylor is generally pretty clear, but check out this gibberish;

[Talking of Swans injuries], "If McIntyre (sic. I assume he means McInerney), Rowbottom, Papley and Rampe are out for any length of period, it really starts to hurt."

Then, a bit later, after Melican is subbed with a hamstring, "Take 4 or 5 of your best players out of any side in the competition, and all of a sudden it can reduce you somewhat."

I mean, he's somehow turned himself into a stupidly well paid "personality" so I guess I can't question his intelligence, but he's lazy, unknowledgeable and more mute button friendly than anyone else on the planet.
There was somebody else on the commentary team who I disliked more. Not sure who it was (not BT).

When Cody got yet another free kick, this time because a player had his arm around him from behind, stopping him jumping or even getting his arms up for the mark, this clueless (or hopelessly biased) commentator said "Oooh, that's 50-50" and was doing all he could to convey the idea that Cody was lucky, or worse still was milking the free, which on this occasion he clearly wasn't. It was the most blatant of free kicks.

If I had the unenviable task of having to choose between the two, give me the matey dorkiness of BT any day.

It's hilarious considering before that game they had used 30 players for season. We go close to playing all our guys throughout any given year. Goes to show the difference in depth and whilst we bemoan our backend it has held up well.

There was somebody else on the commentary team who I disliked more. Not sure who it was (not BT).

When Cody got yet another free kick, this time because a player had his arm around him from behind, stopping him jumping or even getting his arms up for the mark, this clueless (or hopelessly biased) commentator said "Oooh, that's 50-50" and was doing all he could to convey the idea that Cody was lucky, or worse still was milking the free, which on this occasion he clearly wasn't. It was the most blatant of free kicks.

If I had the unenviable task of having to choose between the two, give me the matey dorkiness of BT any day.
Burgoyne

10c mixed chips and potato cakes from my Greek chippy then the afternoon Saturday matinee.
What a treat after the morning junior footy.
Especially after frost on the grass and seniors cancelled because it was too cold.!!

Bit late in the thread but an age thing and forgot to send. Lol

Last edited:

agree. Was a clear free kick. Bullshit commentary. I thought it was that ******* Ling.

agree. Was a clear free kick. Bullshit commentary. I thought it was that ******* Ling.
Definitely Burgoyne, who I hadn't had an issue with previously, but his disdain for a couple of Bulldogs free kicks wasn't well hidden at all, so he's now on my radar.

Channel 7 should be banned from putting him and Nathan Jones on the same broadcast like they did, they sound WAY too similar...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely Burgoyne, who I hadn't had an issue with previously, but his disdain for a couple of Bulldogs free kicks wasn't well hidden at all, so he's now on my radar.

Channel 7 should be banned from putting him and Nathan Jones on the same broadcast like they did, they sound WAY too similar...
Neither of these guys are great commentators and they should never be paired together.

And it's not because of their perceived disdain for all things bulldogs. It's at you note, because they both speak in a dull monotone that makes them indistinguishable from one another. Let alone the background noise of the broadcast or the bombastically idiotic colour commentary of BT.

The game is not well served by its broadcasters. Id really love to sit in on the selection process when it comes to how they go about blooding new commentators fresh out of the game. I suspect that it's mostly about connections being made at club level, with a large dollop of good bloke factor ladled on top. Insight seems a distant consideration.

It's the only thing I can think of when it comes to a plodder like Nathan Jones getting such a prime gig. It smacks of being rewarded for having to play 300 games during Melbournes years in the football wilderness only to miss their premiership.

Neither of these guys are great commentators and they should never be paired together.

And it's not because of their perceived disdain for all things bulldogs. It's at you note, because they both speak in a dull monotone that makes them indistinguishable from one another. Let alone the background noise of the broadcast or the bombastically idiotic colour commentary of BT.

The game is not well served by its broadcasters. Id really love to sit in on the selection process when it comes to how they go about blooding new commentators fresh out of the game. I suspect that it's mostly about connections being made at club level, with a large dollop of good bloke factor ladled on top. Insight seems a distant consideration.

It's the only thing I can think of when it comes to a plodder like Nathan Jones getting such a prime gig. It smacks of being rewarded for having to play 300 games during Melbournes years in the football wilderness only to miss their premiership.
Next year, for games that Ch 7 are doing, if you have FOX or Kayo, you'll be able to choose whether to watch 7 or FOX, who will have their own commentators

Last edited:
There is history there. Burgoyne carried on like a spoilt brat during the 2016 SF (especially the 3rd quarter). Jones will feel his brother was hard done by in the 2016 GF.

Next year, for games that Ch 7 are doing, if you have FOX or Kayo, you'll be able to choose whether to watch 7 or FOX, who will have their own commentators
Issue is that Channel 7 commentary is generally worse, but their overall broadcast is generally better - better camera angles, more zoomed out and behind goals footage used in the broadcast. better half-time broadcasting, cutting of highlights packages etc. I still get dizzy from Fox Footy's constant moving camera when they cut to the studio, and they're clearly more lazy, plus, C7 will still have ads. It's annoying.

I welcome the pressure.

We either embrace it and succeed, or find out about our faults early.

Issue is that Channel 7 commentary is generally worse, but their overall broadcast is generally better - better camera angles, more zoomed out and behind goals footage used in the broadcast. better half-time broadcasting, cutting of highlights packages etc. I still get dizzy from Fox Footy's constant moving camera when they cut to the studio, and they're clearly more lazy, plus, C7 will still have ads. It's annoying.
I think one of the big differences is that Ch.7 commentators will be at the ground, where as FOX may not be

What they are trying to present isn't necessarily what we want to watch/hear. That's one of the problems with near-monopoly providers - they have a captive market.

So it comes down to what sort of show the producer is trying to deliver. I suspect that is a long way from the sort of show that we'd actually like to be watching.

Then they just get commentators to slot into that format.

Having an opinion is very important but I suspect that detailed and insightful analysis to back up that opinion is not. It's more about being a household name, having a personality (even if it's not always a likeable one) and being blokey.

Im looking forward to the discussion in here around the AFLs mandate that commentary teams from next year need to be more inclusive and diverse.

That should be a real DEI HOOT!

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back