What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Mind, Body and Soul: The story of Adam Treloar’s bounce back

At the start of this season it appeared as though Adam Treloar’s headline grabbing days were over.
An excellent career seemed to be tailing off towards, if not obscurity, then a supporting role with a low profile club having been forced out of Collingwood at the end of 2020.
But Treloar bounced back.
[PLAYERCARD]Adam Treloar[/PLAYERCARD] has reclaimed his place among the game’s elite midfielders.

Adam Treloar has reclaimed his place among the game’s elite midfielders. CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
He stopped carrying the world on his shoulders like Atlas and began to enjoy football.
Advertisement

He devoted himself to recovery, becoming a more regular visitor to chiropractor Dr Hannah Weeks in Hampton.
Trips to the Regen Wellness Centre in the same suburb were in his diary too, as he settled into an oxygen pod for close to an hour at a time.
Treloar called such visits ‘little investments’ in his body and the saying healthy body, healthy mind began to play out practically.

Having battled soft tissue injuries through much of the back half of his career he needed to restore confidence that where his mind went his body would follow. Treloar now says he “can run as well as I have ever run”.

Advertisement

“If I am feeling good physically come game day I still feel like I am able to play at a high level,” Treloar said.
He has proved he can play as well as anyone throughout 2024 as he has driven the Bulldogs to victory more than once, his legs pumping like pistons as his short steps propel him up and down the ground, helping his team outnumber opponents at the contest.
Always able to storm from a stoppage or work his way through gaps, he is now consistent rather than playing in the short bursts that had defined his time at the Whitten Oval.
Treloar has become the perfect sidekick for Bulldogs’ champion [PLAYERCARD]Marcus Bontempelli[/PLAYERCARD]

Treloar has become the perfect sidekick for Bulldogs’ champion Marcus BontempelliCREDIT: AFL PHOTOS VIA GETTY IMAGES
His form alongside Bulldogs’ great Marcus Bontempelli has helped the team – who are Footscray this week as part of retro round – charge back into finals contention and proved the pre-season review’s thesis that people needed to share the skipper’s load for improvement to occur.
Advertisement
ADVERTISEMENT
CONTENT RESUMES ON SCROLL
Treloar - who sits 10th, just seven votes shy of ‘The Bont’ in the Coaches’ Association Award - admits the group recognised that too much was being asked of Bontempelli.
“There has been a bit of a focus on helping ‘Bont’,” Treloar said. “You want to play with champion players but you never want to solely rely on someone. At times [last year] Bont would single-handedly get us across the line.”
In the past three wins, Bontempelli has contributed rather than dominated, one coaches vote in that time being an indicator his teammates are stepping up with Treloar best on ground in the past two games.
The Bulldogs’ turnaround came after their shock (at the time) loss to Hawthorn in round nine as they slumped to three wins and five losses with Treloar, at that stage, one of the few Bulldogs playing well.
The team met that week and thrashed out some of the issues, redirecting their attention to implementing a system that would establish their DNA. They have won seven matches since, with their three losses being to Sydney (who they defeated in last week’s return bout), the Brisbane Lions and an ordinary display against Port Adelaide.
Advertisement

Now Footscray enter a must win match against their nemesis Melbourne wearing retro jumpers and carrying familiar dreams.
Treloar remembers the 2021 grand final well. Having now played in two losing AFL grand finals (he was a key player in the Magpies’ 2018 tilt), the desire to win that elusive flag is why he plays.
“I have never won ‘a granny’ in my life to be honest so that is the ultimate that I am chasing and the whole reason that I play,” Treloar said.
“My whole reason for playing AFL football is to win a flag and if I wasn’t in that situation I would be seriously questioning whether I want to do this or not.”
There is another reason he plays: family.
Advertisement

Hordes will be there on Friday night to watch his 250th match, a milestone only 286 people have reached before him. They will also include his partner Kim, daughter Georgie and the extended family who have been in his corner throughout.
[PLAYERCARD]Adam Treloar[/PLAYERCARD] in Collingwood colours in the 2018 preliminary final

Adam Treloar in Collingwood colours in the 2018 preliminary finalCREDIT: JOE ARMAO
Whatever happens, Treloar intends to enjoy the moment as he runs through the banner with his daughter, repeating what he describes as his biggest football highlight to date, the day he cradled Georgie in his arms as he ran out in Ballarat for his 200th match.
Treloar is back to be his best and revelling in the feeling.
“They can see I am enjoying it as much as I can, and I am trying not to take football as seriously as I used to … is it a job? Not really. This is something that we love, and I am grateful to be here,” Treloar said.

This intro to the article is absolute nonsense!
Agree, and yet it’s probably what most of them think but don’t often say. This one just dropped the guard in a moment of rare candour.

This old school lazy commentary are from people who repeat what they hear or live in the past and don't understand the big picture. It is the old 'remember your place' mentality where the Bulldogs are a 'make up the numbers' team. It is this mentality, I believe, that has been Carlton's problem. They were living in the old world (VFL) when the football world moved on to AFL. Some didn't move.

I'm in the minority but I'd prefer the AFL and VFL commentators to swap.
The VFL call is miles ahead of the AFL- largely non-bias and they actually give a shit about the game and don't argue the small things like umpiring, team guernseys etc. It's actual fans calling the game for fans.
The big difference for me is that VFL commentators actually call the game.
A lot of AFL commentators talk about themselves and each other (especially MMM / Channel 7)

What would we give for this to come true?

When asked who would be the next player to get to 400 games, Leigh Montagna predicted that the Bont would still be playing at 36 and get to 400.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He might want to have a look at today’s VFL numbers - 3 goals, 39 touches. Dominant.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's a very short list of players over the last few years, drafted outside the top 3-5, that have 20 touches in a game 6 times in their debut season.

Listening to 774 live at the game.

Kelli Underwood... "Dale forced onto his non preferred right foot...."
Some of my non doggy mates are astounded by the number of lefties we have.

Gerard Healy in tonight's pre-game about Rylet Sanders:
"He hasn't justified the high pick used on him".

**** me. These clowns are pathetic

Agreed, if he cant even play a central role in a midfield with bont, treloar, libba and richards in his 1st year of football, what frgin use is he?

delist

Im looking forward to the discussion in here around the AFLs mandate that commentary teams from next year need to be more inclusive and diverse.

That should be a real DEI HOOT!

One solution would be to find a radio broadcast with a commentary team that is less worserer and listen to that with the live pics

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back