What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

King did say we turn it over roughly the same as everyone else, we just don’t get punished by them

Just on the eye test we haven't had as many shocking turnovers lately coming out of the back half. The ones where everyones running ahead of the ball and a blatant skill error costs us an easy goal the other way.

Just on the eye test we haven't had as many shocking turnovers lately coming out of the back half. The ones where everyones running ahead of the ball and a blatant skill error costs us an easy goal the other way.
Very true.

Nice moz though... :smile:

Interview with Alex Johnson here from Dyl & Friends. Alex talks about his assistant coaching role a bit, a little bit interesting. Sorry - don't have time stamps.

Just listened to the Danny Boyd podcast episode that dropped today with Lachie McNeil as guest.

Methinks the club had a hand in getting him on the pod to try and clam some of the noise about him and VDM being in the team.

My take, VDM and McNeil are no chance to be dropped unless injured.

That's a really interesting stat. Ever since the Port game (ie from Carlton onwards) I've noticed we have held our width everywhere. Only having one or two go for the ball and everyone else holding space. It means noone can get away from us, which is great. It goes to reason that same strategy could mean giving up the first disposal though.

Fascinating insight - I don't understand the game well enough to know if this is a deliberate tactic, or a function of the type of players we have around clearances? Love to hear insight from others on this forum.

its a defensive thing I reckon. we used to be great at first hands, but to my eye often resulting in poor quality clearances. and we know we often let oppo get high quality clearances.

our mids are no longer sacrificing defensive positioning to contest 1st possession as hard as they used to. because you cant do both at the same time - either your positioning to attack or defend.

1st possession is almost always extremely pressured. if you manage to cover the outlets its likely going to be a poor disposal - a stoppage turnover - and turnovers are easy to transition to attack because the opposition is wrong footed, being themselves positioning to attack because they (briefly) had possession.

our defence atm is about denying the opposition easy outlets whether thats at a stoppage, or when they are moving the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Total opposite of what we used to do imho.

Essentially we are doing to other clubs what they used to do to us.

We probably don’t mind letting the oppo dump kick from a stoppage either. That’s a clearance technically, but a poor quality one. Basically a 50/50 but maybe more in our favour because we have some serious marking power across the ground these days.

Anything other than an oppo player having the ball with a bit of time and space is a good outcome.

We probably don’t mind letting the oppo dump kick from a stoppage either. That’s a clearance technically, but a poor quality one. Basically a 50/50 but maybe more in our favour because we have some serious marking power across the ground these days.

Anything other than an oppo player having the ball with a bit of time and space is a good outcome.

It’s a far more appealing strategy when you have players like Jones, Lobb and Khamis behind the ball that can actually take intercept marks and send the ball the other way, rather than purely spoil merchants that force us to rely on constantly clearing ground balls.

It’s a far more appealing strategy when you have players like Jones, Lobb and Khamis behind the ball that can actually take intercept marks and send the ball the other way, rather than purely spoil merchants that force us to rely on constantly clearing ground balls.
And usually the defending side has more players inside the d50 so a dump clearance is likely to land where we have superior numbers.

That enables us to lock it in with repeat entries and sustained pressure.

= more goals.

And usually the defending side has more players inside the d50 so a dump clearance is likely to land where we have superior numbers.

That enables us to lock it in with repeat entries and sustained pressure.

= more goals.

I think in the past we’ve focused more on getting the ball inside 50 and trying to intercept in our front half, for several reasons, primarily protecting our defence, whereas this year we seem more comfortable letting the other team scrap it forward, intercepting in our defensive half and transitioning quickly the other way.

Since Lobb went to defence he’s averaged 3.5 intercept marks, and on the season Jones is averaging 3.6 (same since Lobb went back), Khamis 2.7 (3.2 since a Lobb went back). Last year Jones lead us with 3 per game, Keath averaged 1.7 and we relied more heavily on English and Richards up the ground.

The other observation I’ve made this year that I have absolutely no data to support is that we’re not sending 3-4 defenders piling into each other in nearly as many aerial contests as we had been for years previously. The way we defend seems to have changed quite dramatically from last year.

Pratt?

Another observation is we are not conceding 4 plus goals in a row as much

The other observation I’ve made this year that I have absolutely no data to support is that we’re not sending 3-4 defenders piling into each other in nearly as many aerial contests as we had been for years previously. The way we defend seems to have changed quite dramatically from last year.
Jeremy Strong Yes GIF by SuccessionHBO

On SEN on Saturday, Doc Dureya said that because of the expectation of intercept marks from Lobb (and Buku and Jones), our offensive players can automatically get ahead of the ball, which opens up space and creates more opportunities.

More intercept marks =more time and spece

On SEN on Saturday, Doc Dureya said that because of the expectation of intercept marks from Lobb (and Buku and Jones), our offensive players can automatically get ahead of the ball, which opens up space and creates more opportunities.

More intercept marks =more time and spece

Yeah perhaps that’s reflected in the wider distribution of our intercept marks last year, which would necessarily mean we were tasking more players with that responsibility, which would prevent those players from getting into attacking positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back