What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bevo strip club 😅

I hate champion data & Hoyney, they're giving away our secrets
My reaction generally to the daily/weekly barrage of often meaningless numbers by Hoyne, King and Champion Data is generally along the lines of Robin Williams and his response to the textbook about 'understanding' poetry in Dead Poets Society.

We have to also remember that in 2016 on the 'stats' we shouldn't have won a flag. We did. Why? Because of something the numbers will never show. Something you can't measure.

Last edited:
My reaction generally to the daily/weekly barrage of often meaningless numbers by Hoyne, King and Champion Data is generally along the lines of Robin Williams and his response to the textbook 'understanding' poetry in Dead Poets Society.

We have to also remember that in 2016 on the 'stars' we shouldn't have won a flag. We did. Why? Because of something the numbers will never show. Something you can't measure.

I'm not so sure.
187cm, 84 kgs (never forget)

Western Bulldogs duo Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Sam Darcy have been recognised in the 22Under22 squad for 2024.

If voted in the final team, it will mark Ugle-Hagan’s second inclusion and a maiden selection for Darcy.

Ugle-Hagan, 22, has enjoyed a prolific outing so far, averaging 11.8 disposals and 4.7 marks, while booting a career-high 39 goals from 18 games. Darcy, 21, has contributed 27 goals in 17 games this season – averaging 11.7 disposals and 4.9 marks.
The fan-voted concept, presented by Snaffle, recognises the best 22 players aged 22 and under for the entirety of the AFL season.

For a player to be eligible in the squad, they are required to play at least 12 matches (50%).

Voting is open now until midnight on August 14, with the final team to be announced via the AFLPA social media channels on August 21.

Some David King SEN thing threw out a 'best ever' champion data stat - over the last 3 games we have conceded a total of 56 points from our turnovers - lowest ever. Yet we are 8th for actual turnovers.

So while we give the ball back a fair bit, thats to be expected because of the aggressive way we are bringing the ball forward - risk taking run and carry.

But that risk isnt biting us because of our defence. and its not just the back 6 - you dont go lowest ever oppo score from turnovers because of only your defenders. Its a whole team defence thing driven by the mids and the small forwards as well as the back 6.

So maybe there is something to VDM / McNeil / Poulter that actually is super important - stopping the oppo from scoring.

Some David King SEN thing threw out a 'best ever' champion data stat - over the last 3 games we have conceded a total of 56 points from our turnovers - lowest ever. Yet we are 8th for actual turnovers.

So while we give the ball back a fair bit, thats to be expected because of the aggressive way we are bringing the ball forward - risk taking run and carry.

But that risk isnt biting us because of our defence. and its not just the back 6 - you dont go lowest ever oppo score from turnovers because of only your defenders. Its a whole team defence thing driven by the mids and the small forwards as well as the back 6.

So maybe there is something to VDM / McNeil / Poulter that actually is super important - stopping the oppo from scoring.
Whoda thunk it.

The defensive speed in the fwd 50 goes under the radar. The speed/capacity of VDM and McSteal to man the mark for example significantly impacts on a defender's decision to play on. They're there in front of me now and they're quick. Do I want to risk playing on and getting caught holding the ball or having my disposal pressured and turning it over. Contrast with Macrae or Daniel in that role. They probably won't get to the mark in time to affect the decision so the option is on the table for the defender to play on with a lot less risk and in all likelihood creating an out number to their advantage.

Whoda thunk it.

The defensive speed in the fwd 50 goes under the radar. The speed/capacity of VDM and McSteal to man the mark for example significantly impacts on a defender's decision to play on. They're there in front of me now and they're quick. Do I want to risk playing on and getting caught holding the ball or having my disposal pressured and turning it over. Contrast with Macrae or Daniel in that role. They probably won't get to the mark in time to affect the decision so the option is on the table for the defender to play on with a lot less risk and in all likelihood creating an out number to their advantage.

Its not so much manning the mark as covering the outlets further up the ground. Any chump nearest to the kicker mans the mark, unless there is a handball receive running past, in which case you cover the receiver and leave the kicker.

This applies all the way down the field, not just inside our F50. make sure the oppo has no easy outlets so they are forced to kick long to a contest. Kicking long to a contest allows Jones, Lobb and Buku to have days out - just like May and Lever etc... always used to have against us.

Its not so much manning the mark as covering the outlets further up the ground. Any chump nearest to the kicker mans the mark, unless there is a handball receive running past, in which case you cover the receiver and leave the kicker.

This applies all the way down the field, not just inside our F50. make sure the oppo has no easy outlets so they are forced to kick long to a contest. Kicking long to a contest allows Jones, Lobb and Buku to have days out - just like May and Lever etc... always used to have against us.
I agree. The capacity/speed to get to a mark to man it is only one example where it can influence outcomes to our advantage by limiting choices. The lack of speed or capacity will also influence outcomes, but not to our advantage, by increasing the play on options and less pressured opportunities available to opponents all the way down the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoda thunk it.

One of my many bugbears about how our side has played in recent years has been the ease in which the ball has transitioned out of or i50 and teams getting us on the spread at centre bounces. The coaching staff obviously identified this as being an issue (Bevo reads my posts confirmed!). I think that the lack of defensive pressure that senior players like Macrae, Daniel and Dale were applying is what saw them relegated to the fringes of the side at the start of the year.

It's not surprising that its really only been Dale who has the athleticism to implement great pressure on his opponent who has been able to reestablish his role in the side. So much so that he's likely to be an AA hbf.

The irony of which will definitely be lost on Cane Kornes when he sits down to help pick the side.

I think that Beveridges biggest strength over his career has also been one of his biggest weaknesses. He's clearly loyal to a fault when not comes to his senior players. But I suspect that the changes to the football and coaching depts over the summer has seen a fresh eye cast of team selection. Where reputations mean a lot less than the requirements of team structure do.

Nobody in their right minds thinks that Garcia, VDM or McNeil are better players than Macrae or Daniel, but the reality is that the former are abetter fit for what we're trying to achieve structurally to fix two of the biggest deficiencies that we've had in the side since 2016.

The other was whomever came up with the idea of shifting the surplus to requirements Rory Lobb to defence. But at this point that has become low hanging fruit, when we turn our mind to what has seen our dramatic upswing in form over the last 12 or so rounds.

Last edited:
One of my many bugbears about how our side has played in recent years has been the ease in which the ball has transitioned out of or i50 and teams getting us on the spread at centre bounces. The coaching staff obviously identified this as being an issue (Bevo reads my posts confirmed!). I think that the lack of defensive pressure that senior players like Macrae, Daniel and Dale were applying is what saw them relegated to the fringes of the side at the start of the year.

It's not surprising that its really only been Dale who has the athleticism to implement great pressure on his opponent who has been able to reestablish his role in the side. So much so that he's likely to be an AA hbf.

The irony of which will definitely be lost on Cane Kornes when he sits down to help pick the side.

I think that Beveridges biggest strength over his career has also been one of his biggest weaknesses. He's clearly loyal to a fault when not comes to his senior players. But I suspect that the changes to the football and coaching depts over the summer has seen a fresh eye cast of team selection. Where reputations mean a lot less than the requirements of team structure do.

Nobody in their right minds thinks that Garcia, VDM or McNeil are better players than Macrae or Daniel, but the reality is that the former are abetter fit for what we're trying to achieve structurally to fix two of the biggest deficiencies that we've had in the side since 2016.

The other was whomever came up with the idea of shifting the surplus to requirements Rory Lobb to defence. But at this point that has become low hanging fruit, when we turn our mind to what has seen our dramatic upswing in form over the last 12 or so rounds.
The flip side to all this was signing Bramble and backing him in to get speed on the ball coming out of the back half, and getting Richards on-ball to get speed in the centre.

It's faster ball movement all over the paddock and guys who can't move the ball at pace are suddenly on the fringes of selection.

One other small tool that were using more is the forward handball. It took us until the Geelong game last year to use it properly and we've been using it alot more this year. Makes a quick team even quicker.

The flip side to all this was signing Bramble and backing him in to get speed on the ball coming out of the back half, and getting Richards on-ball to get speed in the centre.

It's faster ball movement all over the paddock and guys who can't move the ball at pace are suddenly on the fringes of selection.

One other small tool that were using more is the forward handball. It took us until the Geelong game last year to use it properly and we've been using it alot more this year. Makes a quick team even quicker.

I told this board that the Bramble Gamble would reinvent our entire team and was laughed at on here.

Back coffield in the same imo.

Absolutely..

I made pretty much the same point in I think the autopsy thread after the Melbourne of Sydney games.

And because I maintain that the Richards move was 100% my idea, then Im going to continue claiming all credit for the move. All hail the farsighted Norm!

During my op when I was referring to my many bugbears. I could've also mentioned how early in the season we just weren't seeing the run from behind or forward of the ball carrier options. This is another thing that has been addressed with the addition of more running players and a willingness to share the load through the middle of the ground. It seems to me that we decided to go all in on quantity over quality.

I think that we're only just now appreciating the revolution in game style that we have seen after this side started to gel and hit its straps in the second half of the season.

For some perverse reason I thought I'd have a quick look at On The Couch for the first time in a while to get their take on us.

Sat through extensive coverage of the other games and teams, footage of Adelaide goals and discussion of their performance.

On us, the entire discussion was:

Brown: 'Any doubts on the Dogs?'

Lyon: 'Nuh. I'm sticking fat. sticking fat.'

The end

We were the equal second favourites for the flag going into this, and that's the analysis we get?

FMD

Anyone get the email about registering your attendance for this week to have a chance to be on the ground as the team runs out?
Clicking the 'Register now' button goes into a general Ticketmaster page, and no registration option presented. Also can't find a link for it in the WB app.

Anyone get the email about registering your attendance for this week to have a chance to be on the ground as the team runs out?
Clicking the 'Register now' button goes into a general Ticketmaster page, and no registration option presented. Also can't find a link for it in the WB app.
🤮
The line between legal and illegal scams gets more blurred every day.
Feels like there's no such thing as a simple honest retail transaction any more.

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back