What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs duo Sam Darcy and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan have been named in the 2024 AFLPA 22Under22 team.

Ugle-Hagan, 22, was the third most popular player to be chosen, voted in 89% of fan-picked teams, while Darcy, 21, was voted in 78% of teams.
It marks Darcy’s maiden selection and a second inclusion for Ugle-Hagan.

Darcy enjoyed a career-best outing in Round 23, booting seven goals from 20 disposals and nine marks.
Ugle-Hagan has also been a consistent contributor for the Dogs up forward, slotting a career-high 43 goals for the season thus far.

22Under22 2024 Team

Captain: Nick Daicos (Collingwood)
Vice-captain: Harry Sheezel (North Melbourne)

FBNasiah Wanganeen-Milera (STK)Mac Andrew (GCS)Darcy Wilmot (BL)
HBMax Holmes (GEEL)Josh Weddle (HAW)Colby McKercher (NM)
CErrol Gulden (SYD)Harley Reid (WCE)Jason Horne-Francis (PORT)
HFJack Ginnivan (HAW)Sam Darcy (WBD)Ollie Dempsey (GEEL)
FFJosh Treacy (FRE)Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (WBD)Jye Amiss (FRE)
FOLLLuke Jackson (FRE)Harry Sheezel (NM)Nick Daicos (COLL)
I/CMassimo D'Ambrosio (HAW)George Wardlaw (NM)
Josh Rachele (ADEL)Josh Draper (FRE)

Could probably leave Amiss out but not the others
It would have been a bit cheeky to name Busslinger at CHB given that he's yet to play a senior game.
Shows you how silly the whole thing is though, especially as players at different ages in different positions.

There was a year that there wasn't even a Under 22 player first rucking anywhere in the league, so they had to shoehorn Peter Wright into that position.

In 2018 they didn't even pick a second key defender (Doedee was the second tallest defender) even though Naughton came 4th in our best and fairest playing key defender that season before being moved forward from 2019, so even when there's an opportunity for proper balance, they don't pick it.

Western Bulldogs duo Sam Darcy and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan have been named in the 2024 AFLPA 22Under22 team.

Ugle-Hagan, 22, was the third most popular player to be chosen, voted in 89% of fan-picked teams, while Darcy, 21, was voted in 78% of teams.
It marks Darcy’s maiden selection and a second inclusion for Ugle-Hagan.

Darcy enjoyed a career-best outing in Round 23, booting seven goals from 20 disposals and nine marks.
Ugle-Hagan has also been a consistent contributor for the Dogs up forward, slotting a career-high 43 goals for the season thus far.

22Under22 2024 Team

Captain: Nick Daicos (Collingwood)
Vice-captain: Harry Sheezel (North Melbourne)

FBNasiah Wanganeen-Milera (STK)Mac Andrew (GCS)Darcy Wilmot (BL)
HBMax Holmes (GEEL)Josh Weddle (HAW)Colby McKercher (NM)
CErrol Gulden (SYD)Harley Reid (WCE)Jason Horne-Francis (PORT)
HFJack Ginnivan (HAW)Sam Darcy (WBD)Ollie Dempsey (GEEL)
FFJosh Treacy (FRE)Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (WBD)Jye Amiss (FRE)
FOLLLuke Jackson (FRE)Harry Sheezel (NM)Nick Daicos (COLL)
I/CMassimo D'Ambrosio (HAW)George Wardlaw (NM)
Josh Rachele (ADEL)Josh Draper (FRE)
Fan picked teams or goals or marks or captains etc are just ridiculous in AFL as everyone is just so biased to their own teams.

Four key forwards and one key defender (who has been also playing forward in recent weeks).

Great.

Draper is a key defender and Weddle plays the third tall role at Hawthorn a bit. They’ve certainly had worse balance before, don’t think this is too bad.

LOL

Stop talking crap Mick

Melbourne should make a play at securing Sam Darcy, Mick McGuane believes. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images. If I were the them, I'd be ripping the Band-Aid off and moving on Clayton Oliver, especially if he wants out

1724383982129.jpeg

LOL

Stop talking crap Mick

Melbourne should make a play at securing Sam Darcy, Mick McGuane believes. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images. If I were the them, I'd be ripping the Band-Aid off and moving on Clayton Oliver, especially if he wants out

View attachment 2088457
That guy looks like he ate Mick McGuane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Smith says he’s focused on injury rehab, not his future, amid trade speculation and links to Geelong​

Bailey Smith has spoken publicly for the first time on his football future as speculation ramps up he will ask Western Bulldogs to be traded at season’s end.
Timothy CoxTimothy Cox

2 min read
August 23, 2024 - 5:53PM
News Sport Network
https://archive.md/B3rpV#share-tools
234dfb89aeeb4b92ef35a9df6b6e4c17caf96fc2.webp

Bailey Smith talks football and mad Monday but is tight-lipped on his love life during a launch of new Kings Domain Melbourne hair products
Injured Bulldogs star Bailey Smith claims he hasn’t considered his future at the club amid rampant speculation he will ask to be traded.
Speaking publicly for the first time about his plans beyond this year, Smith said he would not risk his health by trying to return to be part of a possible finals campaign.
The 23-year-old has been strongly linked with Geelong after Collingwood and Hawthorn were earlier touted as possible suitors.
Smith tore his ACL in mid-December last year, all but ending his hopes of playing this season and sparking rumours he had played his last game for the Bulldogs.
[PLAYERCARD]Bailey Smith[/PLAYERCARD] has been linked with a trade to Geelong. Picture: Michael Klein.

Bailey Smith has been linked with a trade to Geelong. Picture: Michael Klein.
“I haven’t paid any attention to anything other than my health at the minute and then supporting the boys – just focusing on the short-term, (the) here and now, which is GWS on Sunday and hopefully we get up,” Smith said.
“I don’t know when those (trade) conversations happen or if they do happen.”

The midfielder met Bulldogs fans in Ballarat on Friday, alongside the club’s AFLW star and former captain Ellie Blackburn.
Hundreds of supporters lined up in club gear to greet the pair, with the line stretching outside the shopping centre doors.
Following his knee injury, Smith said he was“feeling really good” and “fully fit” and that he was had started contact exercises as part of his rehab.
He said he had decided in conjuction with the Bulldogs that he would focus on his recovery rather than risk possible injury by returning this season.
Smith has not played this year due to a knee injury. Picture: Michael Klein.

Smith has not played this year due to a knee injury. Picture: Michael Klein.
“There were (discussions about playing again in 2024) early days, but then it’s more the risk versus reward of chasing a couple of games versus playing for another 10, 12 years,” he said.
“Initially I was really chasing to come back, but it’s just not worth the risk.”
Smith also spent time in Europe earlier in the year, which he said was “awesome, just mentally more than physically”.
“I still trained every day over there,” he said.
Last week, Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge conceded that his confidence Smith would stay at the club had started to “wane” as he was yet to indicate he would sign a new contract.
But he added he wasn’t “resigned” to Smith’s future being elsewhere.

Fox Footy

@FOXFOOTY
·
Follow
WHAT a goal and what a moment from Bailey Smith
👏
👏
👏
📝
REPORT: http://bit.ly/3mYuu7P
🔢
STATS: http://bit.ly/3yDSkYA#AFLLionsDogs #AFLFinals

d81895f88379edd97ac76eb135ba05ff6ca87540.jpg

Watch on X
12:14 PM · Sep 4, 2021

Copy link
Read 16 replies

“There are always things you can do. I mean, there’s the negotiation around contracts. It’s obviously the byplay between managers, and that happens behind the scenes,” he said.
“And I’ve got a great relationship with Bailey, so that’s not a concern of mine that I need to somehow fix something that isn’t an issue.
“But there are some levers that you can grab onto and drag it down. The intentions and what the possibilities might be for the individual, they could never be black and white for the club that they play at, because it’s too much conversation that we’re not privy to.”
Smith, a first-round draft pick in 2018, grew up barracking for Hawthorn and has collaborated with Cotton On, which is a patron of the Cats.
Both Hawthorn and Geelong have the salary cap room to fit Smith in.
The Bulldogs will play GWS in Ballarat on Sunday.

LOL

Stop talking crap Mick

View attachment 2088457
lol yeah I'm sure a third generation Bulldog that's loving it is keen to move an imploding shithole.

lol yeah I'm sure a third generation Bulldog that's loving it is keen to move an imploding shithole.
Industry thinking:

Sam is a 3rd gen Bulldog, family has a 60+ year involvement at the club, his grandfather was a Vic state player and his dad a former captain and current board member.

Therefore, a move to the Dees makes a lot of sense.

Industry thinking:

Sam is a 3rd gen Bulldog, family has a 60+ year involvement at the club, his grandfather was a Vic state player and his dad a former captain and current board member.

Therefore, a move to the Dees makes a lot of sense.
I agree he's not going anywhere - but this has happened before. (not at the Bulldogs though).

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back