What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

What he should have said

You might be unlucky like us the Bombers you cheat, take drugs think you beauty we are going to win one here and then it all turns to a big turd with Hird and you say we did whatever it took to stuff it all up

I get it. But it's also kinda weird that someone who has no personal direct playing or coaching connection to the club gets it, yet I know past players who played 20 games who passed away and didn't get black armband tribute.
Dr Jake’s 20 years of service to the club. Black armbands aren’t just for players or coaches. They’ve been worn for players’ family members, long-standing supporters, and others who have been involved with the club over a long period.

Dr Jake’s 20 years of service to the club. Black armbands aren’t just for players or coaches. They’ve been worn for players’ family members, long-standing supporters, and others who have been involved with the club over a long period.
Sure. But surely of you play a senior game.for the club, you're entitled to that as well. It evidently does not. That's my point in the above post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good article about Bailey Smith though I think labelling Ed Richards as an 'adept midfielder' is underselling his ability.

12ft.io/https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-bailey-smith-is-bound-for-geelong-20240824-p5k51j.html

Why Bailey Smith is bound for Geelong
ByJake Niall
August 25, 2024 — 5.15am
Save

Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
Unless there is an unexpected twist, or the trade founders on the rocks of recalcitrance, Bailey Smith will be moving down the Geelong Road to play for the Cats in 2025.

Smith had been courted by Hawthorn, and there was still a possibility – however slim – that he would stick with the Western Bulldogs. But a series of factors – the pecking order at the Bulldogs, Smith’s knee injury and Hawthorn’s choices – mean that one of the AFL’s most followed footballers is all but certain to be running around with Patrick Dangerfield and Tom Stewart from next year.

Bailey Smith will be on the move to Geelong in the off-season.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

Geelong need Smith more than Hawthorn or the Bulldogs and, as a team with a track record of successfully handling players with complex off-field issues – while winning games – they are not a difficult sell to Smith or his management.

Smith’s likely landing at Geelong has been touted for some weeks and this column can confirm, based on conversations with well-placed sources who don’t want to say anything until the dealing’s done, that “Bazlenka” (his social media moniker) is Geelong-bound, unless something goes badly awry.

Why Geelong, who have 11 players aged 30 or more, and not the mighty rising Hawks, or the more talented team that gave him his career start?

Smith’s choice rests on a few key considerations.

Smith hasn’t played this season as he recovers from a serious knee injury.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS

One is that he wants to play as a frontline midfielder, rather than as a wing or high half-forward. Geelong will afford him that opportunity, given that Dangerfield is 34, Joel Selwood is gone, Mitch Duncan 33, Cam Guthrie 32, and Smith can act as a bridge between those in the career twilight zones and the kids the Cats have drafted.

Another factor is that Smith’s pre-season anterior cruciate ligament injury deprived him of playing time in the Dogs’ midfield this year. Smith had been behind Marcus Bontempelli (like every other AFL midfielder), Adam Treloar and Tom Liberatore, and the latter pair have less capacity to play other roles than Smith.

When Liberatore went down with injury, Luke Beveridge threw Ed Richards into the centre square, and we soon learned that Richards, too, is an adept midfielder, who also added speed to a group that could be one-paced.

Had Smith not suffered the ACL injury, he might well have signed a two-year deal that took him to free agency. Or a longer term.

The Bulldogs have handled the Smith situation with maturity. They recognise he’s likely leaving and haven’t pressured or let it become a distraction in a season in which they’ve recovered and gained late-season momentum.

Hawthorn, in the meantime, have West Coast’s key defender Tom Barrass on the hook and will be forced to give up their first pick to consummate that trade. Josh Battle, a free agent tall back, also has been weighing up whether to stay at the Saints or join the Hawks.

Clubs have only so much draft capital and the Hawks have a more immediate need for a key defender than a zippy midfielder. So their choice, too, has probably influenced the influencer’s.

Smith also is an ambassador for the clothing retail giant Cotton On, which is an important Geelong sponsor and Geelong institution. Their relationship long pre-dates his interest in the Cats.

Arguably, the most compelling argument for joining Geelong, though, is that Smith will be joining a club that has many of the benefits of playing on Broadway – big, high-vis games – without as many of the potential pitfalls of crossing the Maribyrnong to join a monstrous Melbourne team.

Smith’s self-acknowledged mental health challenges, combined with his massive social media following – and his injury – places a premium on the environment of his next club.

Geelong, by dint of Chris Scott’s pragmatic approach and the self-regulation among the players, is not a club prone to overreact or get too stressed about players who find strife or have public issues.

Tyson Stengle’s admission to a Geelong hospital, after being discovered non-responsive at a nightclub some weeks ago, is an example of how the Cats avoid thermonuclear reactions. The club offered minimal details about the incident, eschewing a hardline disciplinary posture. When questioned about the Stengle incident, Scott said it was an error by the forward, but the Cats treat the players “as adults” and that his health was paramount.

It’s unclear whether Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon or beleaguered Melbourne could get away with calmly fending off the fourth estate as the Cats did. The Melbourne media is less excited by everything west of Werribee.

Geelong tend to protect the player, rather than adopting the path of righteous posturing and putting out statements about standards and so forth.

Bailey Smith, thus, will have to worry less about public consequences than how he wins respect and trust within the walls of Geelong; he will have no shortage of support and care from senior players and his coach.

Geelong will have a pretty late first-round pick, which is less than Smith would have fetched in 2021 after a pair of superb finals performances (v the Brisbane Lions and Port Adelaide), but should be the basis for a trade, bearing in mind that he is out of contract and is recovering from an ACL. In this particular draft, recruiters say it will be possible to land as good a player at pick 18 as pick eight.

Hopefully, Smith – whose devotion to self-improvement and training was, if anything, excessive in his formative seasons – can thrive in the relaxed professionalism of Geelong. He is a risk well worth taking.

Hopefully, Smith – whose devotion to self-improvement and training was, if anything, excessive in his formative seasons – can thrive in the relaxed professionalism of Geelong.
So, what do we have? 🤔

Arguably, the most compelling argument for joining Geelong, though, is that Smith will be joining a club that has many of the benefits of playing on Broadway – big, high-vis games – without as many of the potential pitfalls of crossing the Maribyrnong to join a monstrous Melbourne team.

👆 That paragraph has so many things wrong with it and points (unintentionally I'M guessing) with the lack of integrity within the AFL and especially its fixture.

Last edited:
So, what do we have? 🤔
I'm not taking that personally as a Dogs supporter.

I think he explained it well that they are an on/off Broadway club who have adopted a policy of just not commenting publicly on indiscretions.

Bevo is combative with the media which serves us well in some ways and makes it harder in others.

👆 That paragraph has so many things wrong with it and points (unintentionally I'M guessing) with the lack of integrity within th eAFL and especially its fixture.
No matter how big or good we get, we will never get the same advantages the other big clubs do

We could win 3 of the next 5 flags and we’ll still be playing in GEEL every year

Sure. But surely of you play a senior game.for the club, you're entitled to that as well. It evidently does not. That's my point in the above post.
I think it’s the difference between the team and the club. I personally think it’s more appropriate to wear them for the passing of the son of a 20-year employee than a 20 game player themselves. Sure most of what we see is the 22 senior team players on a given weekend but the club is so much bigger than that.

No matter how big or good we get, we will never get the same advantages the other big clubs do

We could win 3 of the next 5 flags and we’ll still be playing in GEEL every year
I agree and it is so wrong. Maybe the VRC should give the favourites the best barrier draw in the Melbourne Cup.

I think it’s the difference between the team and the club. I personally think it’s more appropriate to wear them for the passing of the son of a 20-year employee than a 20 game player themselves. Sure most of what we see is the 22 senior team players on a given weekend but the club is so much bigger than that.
I get what you are saying but like Pugz i am unsure we have got the line in the right place. I expect the club to honour the service of Dr. Landsberger by players wearing black armbands when the time comes ( hopefully many many years from now). But I am not sure the club has got it right by honouring his son in this way when we don’t do it for players who have played less than a designated number of games. I am not sure what that number of games should be. If you have played one game should you be remembered in this way? What should the number be? Could we have a memorial round once a year ( like they do at the Oscars) where the players wear black arm bands to honour all players who played less than say 150 games and died the previous year?
I am not arguing against Sam Landsberger being given this honour, more I am arguing all players who represented the red white and blue should receive some acknowledgment.

Hard to specify a game threshold though, as there will always be exceptions. E.g. Neil Sachse only played 2 games. But the life he lived after his accident should have been acknowledged more broadly across the competition when he passed away IMO. At least we honoured him in that instance, as we should have.

I'm on the fence with the Sam Landsberger one though, can see both sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back