What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

I get what you are saying but like Pugz i am unsure we have got the line in the right place. I expect the club to honour the service of Dr. Landsberger by players wearing black armbands when the time comes ( hopefully many many years from now). But I am not sure the club has got it right by honouring his son in this way when we don’t do it for players who have played less than a designated number of games. I am not sure what that number of games should be. If you have played one game should you be remembered in this way? What should the number be? Could we have a memorial round once a year ( like they do at the Oscars) where the players wear black arm bands to honour all players who played less than say 150 games and died the previous year?
I am not arguing against Sam Landsberger being given this honour, more I am arguing all players who represented the red white and blue should receive some acknowledgment.
My view is more that we shouldn’t immediately over value the players relative to other “servants” (I use quotations because I accept they all get paid) of the club, and in exceptional cases like a 20-year employee their children unexpectedly passing also. I think this is more giving commiserations to the family rather than honouring Sam. If David Smorgon or Peter Gordon had a child unexpectedly pass then I’d expect black arm bands too.

I would be completely on board with the clubs annual report or similar publication noting the passing of any past players whether they played 1 game or 300.

Using the Cats ability to sweep Stengle’s drug fueled binge under the rug as a positive of moving the Geelong is hilarious.

What’s even more hilarious is the AFL bought the garbage of his drink been spiked

Make sense the AFL believe anything that runs with their agenda

A good article about Bailey Smith though I think labelling Ed Richards as an 'adept midfielder' is underselling his ability.

12ft.io/https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-bailey-smith-is-bound-for-geelong-20240824-p5k51j.html

Why Bailey Smith is bound for Geelong
ByJake Niall
August 25, 2024 — 5.15am
Save

Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
Unless there is an unexpected twist, or the trade founders on the rocks of recalcitrance, Bailey Smith will be moving down the Geelong Road to play for the Cats in 2025.

Smith had been courted by Hawthorn, and there was still a possibility – however slim – that he would stick with the Western Bulldogs. But a series of factors – the pecking order at the Bulldogs, Smith’s knee injury and Hawthorn’s choices – mean that one of the AFL’s most followed footballers is all but certain to be running around with Patrick Dangerfield and Tom Stewart from next year.

Bailey Smith will be on the move to Geelong in the off-season.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

Geelong need Smith more than Hawthorn or the Bulldogs and, as a team with a track record of successfully handling players with complex off-field issues – while winning games – they are not a difficult sell to Smith or his management.

Smith’s likely landing at Geelong has been touted for some weeks and this column can confirm, based on conversations with well-placed sources who don’t want to say anything until the dealing’s done, that “Bazlenka” (his social media moniker) is Geelong-bound, unless something goes badly awry.

Why Geelong, who have 11 players aged 30 or more, and not the mighty rising Hawks, or the more talented team that gave him his career start?

Smith’s choice rests on a few key considerations.

Smith hasn’t played this season as he recovers from a serious knee injury.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS

One is that he wants to play as a frontline midfielder, rather than as a wing or high half-forward. Geelong will afford him that opportunity, given that Dangerfield is 34, Joel Selwood is gone, Mitch Duncan 33, Cam Guthrie 32, and Smith can act as a bridge between those in the career twilight zones and the kids the Cats have drafted.

Another factor is that Smith’s pre-season anterior cruciate ligament injury deprived him of playing time in the Dogs’ midfield this year. Smith had been behind Marcus Bontempelli (like every other AFL midfielder), Adam Treloar and Tom Liberatore, and the latter pair have less capacity to play other roles than Smith.

When Liberatore went down with injury, Luke Beveridge threw Ed Richards into the centre square, and we soon learned that Richards, too, is an adept midfielder, who also added speed to a group that could be one-paced.

Had Smith not suffered the ACL injury, he might well have signed a two-year deal that took him to free agency. Or a longer term.

The Bulldogs have handled the Smith situation with maturity. They recognise he’s likely leaving and haven’t pressured or let it become a distraction in a season in which they’ve recovered and gained late-season momentum.

Hawthorn, in the meantime, have West Coast’s key defender Tom Barrass on the hook and will be forced to give up their first pick to consummate that trade. Josh Battle, a free agent tall back, also has been weighing up whether to stay at the Saints or join the Hawks.

Clubs have only so much draft capital and the Hawks have a more immediate need for a key defender than a zippy midfielder. So their choice, too, has probably influenced the influencer’s.

Smith also is an ambassador for the clothing retail giant Cotton On, which is an important Geelong sponsor and Geelong institution. Their relationship long pre-dates his interest in the Cats.

Arguably, the most compelling argument for joining Geelong, though, is that Smith will be joining a club that has many of the benefits of playing on Broadway – big, high-vis games – without as many of the potential pitfalls of crossing the Maribyrnong to join a monstrous Melbourne team.

Smith’s self-acknowledged mental health challenges, combined with his massive social media following – and his injury – places a premium on the environment of his next club.

Geelong, by dint of Chris Scott’s pragmatic approach and the self-regulation among the players, is not a club prone to overreact or get too stressed about players who find strife or have public issues.

Tyson Stengle’s admission to a Geelong hospital, after being discovered non-responsive at a nightclub some weeks ago, is an example of how the Cats avoid thermonuclear reactions. The club offered minimal details about the incident, eschewing a hardline disciplinary posture. When questioned about the Stengle incident, Scott said it was an error by the forward, but the Cats treat the players “as adults” and that his health was paramount.

It’s unclear whether Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon or beleaguered Melbourne could get away with calmly fending off the fourth estate as the Cats did. The Melbourne media is less excited by everything west of Werribee.

Geelong tend to protect the player, rather than adopting the path of righteous posturing and putting out statements about standards and so forth.

Bailey Smith, thus, will have to worry less about public consequences than how he wins respect and trust within the walls of Geelong; he will have no shortage of support and care from senior players and his coach.

Geelong will have a pretty late first-round pick, which is less than Smith would have fetched in 2021 after a pair of superb finals performances (v the Brisbane Lions and Port Adelaide), but should be the basis for a trade, bearing in mind that he is out of contract and is recovering from an ACL. In this particular draft, recruiters say it will be possible to land as good a player at pick 18 as pick eight.

Hopefully, Smith – whose devotion to self-improvement and training was, if anything, excessive in his formative seasons – can thrive in the relaxed professionalism of Geelong. He is a risk well worth taking.

Surest sign that’s he’s off to the Cats is them making Zac Tuohy retire.

No way they could play in the same team 😉

What’s even more hilarious is the AFL bought the garbage of his drink been spiked

Make sense the AFL believe anything that runs with their agenda
I live in Geelong and all you hear from my younger family members are Stengle is out all the time and off his face most of it.

I live in Geelong and all you hear from my younger family members are Stengle is out all the time and off his face most of it.
As Nial admits in the article, footy jounos can be lazy and will take the path of least resistance to get a story.

Why travel to a press conference in Geelong to ask questions of Scott and get stone-walled when you can chase a story in Melbourne.

I also think that the AFL have implicitly made it pretty clear to the footy media that they don't want their 'turn a blind eye' drugs policy challenged.

A good article about Bailey Smith though I think labelling Ed Richards as an 'adept midfielder' is underselling his ability.

12ft.io/https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-bailey-smith-is-bound-for-geelong-20240824-p5k51j.html

ByJake Niall
August 25, 2024 — 5.15am
Save

Unless there is an unexpected twist, or the trade founders on the rocks of recalcitrance, Bailey Smith will be moving down the Geelong Road to play for the Cats in 2025.

Smith had been courted by Hawthorn, and there was still a possibility – however slim – that he would stick with the Western Bulldogs. But a series of factors – the pecking order at the Bulldogs, Smith’s knee injury and Hawthorn’s choices – mean that one of the AFL’s most followed footballers is all but certain to be running around with Patrick Dangerfield and Tom Stewart from next year.

Bailey Smith will be on the move to Geelong in the off-season.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

Geelong need Smith more than Hawthorn or the Bulldogs and, as a team with a track record of successfully handling players with complex off-field issues – while winning games – they are not a difficult sell to Smith or his management.

Smith’s likely landing at Geelong has been touted for some weeks and this column can confirm, based on conversations with well-placed sources who don’t want to say anything until the dealing’s done, that “Bazlenka” (his social media moniker) is Geelong-bound, unless something goes badly awry.

Why Geelong, who have 11 players aged 30 or more, and not the mighty rising Hawks, or the more talented team that gave him his career start?

Smith hasn’t played this season as he recovers from a serious knee injury.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS

One is that he wants to play as a frontline midfielder, rather than as a wing or high half-forward. Geelong will afford him that opportunity, given that Dangerfield is 34, Joel Selwood is gone, Mitch Duncan 33, Cam Guthrie 32, and Smith can act as a bridge between those in the career twilight zones and the kids the Cats have drafted.

Another factor is that Smith’s pre-season anterior cruciate ligament injury deprived him of playing time in the Dogs’ midfield this year. Smith had been behind Marcus Bontempelli (like every other AFL midfielder), Adam Treloar and Tom Liberatore, and the latter pair have less capacity to play other roles than Smith.

When Liberatore went down with injury, Luke Beveridge threw Ed Richards into the centre square, and we soon learned that Richards, too, is an adept midfielder, who also added speed to a group that could be one-paced.

Had Smith not suffered the ACL injury, he might well have signed a two-year deal that took him to free agency. Or a longer term.

The Bulldogs have handled the Smith situation with maturity. They recognise he’s likely leaving and haven’t pressured or let it become a distraction in a season in which they’ve recovered and gained late-season momentum.

Hawthorn, in the meantime, have West Coast’s key defender Tom Barrass on the hook and will be forced to give up their first pick to consummate that trade. Josh Battle, a free agent tall back, also has been weighing up whether to stay at the Saints or join the Hawks.

Clubs have only so much draft capital and the Hawks have a more immediate need for a key defender than a zippy midfielder. So their choice, too, has probably influenced the influencer’s.

Smith also is an ambassador for the clothing retail giant Cotton On, which is an important Geelong sponsor and Geelong institution. Their relationship long pre-dates his interest in the Cats.

Arguably, the most compelling argument for joining Geelong, though, is that Smith will be joining a club that has many of the benefits of playing on Broadway – big, high-vis games – without as many of the potential pitfalls of crossing the Maribyrnong to join a monstrous Melbourne team.

Smith’s self-acknowledged mental health challenges, combined with his massive social media following – and his injury – places a premium on the environment of his next club.

Geelong, by dint of Chris Scott’s pragmatic approach and the self-regulation among the players, is not a club prone to overreact or get too stressed about players who find strife or have public issues.

Tyson Stengle’s admission to a Geelong hospital, after being discovered non-responsive at a nightclub some weeks ago, is an example of how the Cats avoid thermonuclear reactions. The club offered minimal details about the incident, eschewing a hardline disciplinary posture. When questioned about the Stengle incident, Scott said it was an error by the forward, but the Cats treat the players “as adults” and that his health was paramount.

It’s unclear whether Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon or beleaguered Melbourne could get away with calmly fending off the fourth estate as the Cats did. The Melbourne media is less excited by everything west of Werribee.

Geelong tend to protect the player, rather than adopting the path of righteous posturing and putting out statements about standards and so forth.

Bailey Smith, thus, will have to worry less about public consequences than how he wins respect and trust within the walls of Geelong; he will have no shortage of support and care from senior players and his coach.

Geelong will have a pretty late first-round pick, which is less than Smith would have fetched in 2021 after a pair of superb finals performances (v the Brisbane Lions and Port Adelaide), but should be the basis for a trade, bearing in mind that he is out of contract and is recovering from an ACL. In this particular draft, recruiters say it will be possible to land as good a player at pick 18 as pick eight.

Hopefully, Smith – whose devotion to self-improvement and training was, if anything, excessive in his formative seasons – can thrive in the relaxed professionalism of Geelong. He is a risk well worth taking.
Not a bad article but dripping with self-importance of the media's role in all this. Too much inside baseball. The author thinking that we care about the ease in which they can get leaks or manipulate figures at a club to get details. Snore.

Not a bad article but dripping with self-importance of the media's role in all this. Too much inside baseball. The author thinking that we care about the ease in which they can get leaks or manipulate figures at a club to get details. Snore.
Will be bitterly disappointed if all we receive is a solitary late first round pick.

I get what you are saying but like Pugz i am unsure we have got the line in the right place. I expect the club to honour the service of Dr. Landsberger by players wearing black armbands when the time comes ( hopefully many many years from now). But I am not sure the club has got it right by honouring his son in this way when we don’t do it for players who have played less than a designated number of games. I am not sure what that number of games should be. If you have played one game should you be remembered in this way? What should the number be? Could we have a memorial round once a year ( like they do at the Oscars) where the players wear black arm bands to honour all players who played less than say 150 games and died the previous year?
I am not arguing against Sam Landsberger being given this honour, more I am arguing all players who represented the red white and blue should receive some acknowledgment.
Well articulated. Exactly the point I was trying to make.

And here they are again, the ****ing media trying to dictate what the trade terms should be for one of their darling clubs.

Could've saved a metric ****tonne of space by simply typing, "When it comes to trade value, lube up Doggies because Geelong are going in dry. We'll make sure of it."

****S SAKE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ByJake Niall
August 25, 2024 — 5.15am
Save

Still warrants the AFL to investigate. Contracts need to be studied closely in this case.

Why don't we get in Mission's ear about making Ollie Dempsey the face of their next chunky salsa campaign? Pay him a million bucks, get him to wear a sombrero and poncho when he's accepting his rising star award, maybe offer him a small piece of cheap land next to the tortilla factory. Then sign him for cheap a couple of years from now, with a few wink wink nudge nudges.

We'd be negligent not to!

His off field challenges are the most overblown thing in the world and has no effect on his value

He trains too hard for ****s sake and is completely open about when his mental health starts to drop. How is that an issue

The whole article is a cop out.

Our club should be absolutely p***** by that Jakey and he should be put in the freezer. He's basically made out the club is not as professional and hasn't handled Smith and his mental health challenges properly.

Also, did we make him appear with white powder or was that self inflicted? Did we impose the pressure of his 'stardom' on him or does he do that with his endless stream of selfies?

End of the day, I just wish it could all happen tomorrow because I'm sick of the whole circus and I hope the AFL go through him and Geelong like a dose of salts when it comes to his relationship with Cotton On and his contract with Geelong.

Poor Jordan Lewis can't see a difference between Jones and Owies tackles. Should go back to spec savers!

Western Bulldogs trio Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar and Bailey Dale have been recognised in the 2024 AFL All Australian squad.

Bontempelli has been one of the Bulldogs’ most consistent players this season, averaging 26.1 disposals, 13.8 contested possessions, 6.4 clearances and 5.7 inside 50s.

He has also contributed 31 goals (equal career-best) from his 23 matches.

Treloar has enjoyed a prolific campaign in his 13th season at the level, averaging 31.7 touches, 5.8 clearances, 4.8 tackles and 4.5 inside 50s.

He finished the home-and-away season ranked first across the league for average disposals.

Dale’s impact has also been felt in the red, white and blue, averaging 25 disposals at 80.4% efficiency along with 4.8 rebound 50s and 6.2 marks.

The 28-year-old defender also registered a career-high average of 496.4 metres gained.

If the trio are selected in the final team, it would mark Bontempelli’s sixth All Australian blazer (2016, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2023), second nod for Dale (2021) and a maiden inclusion for Treloar.

The squad will be trimmed to a team of 22 on Thursday night, to be announced as part of the 2024 AFL Awards broadcast on Fox Footy.

Western Bulldogs trio Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar and Bailey Dale have been recognised in the 2024 AFL All Australian squad.

Bontempelli has been one of the Bulldogs’ most consistent players this season, averaging 26.1 disposals, 13.8 contested possessions, 6.4 clearances and 5.7 inside 50s.

He has also contributed 31 goals (equal career-best) from his 23 matches.

Treloar has enjoyed a prolific campaign in his 13th season at the level, averaging 31.7 touches, 5.8 clearances, 4.8 tackles and 4.5 inside 50s.

He finished the home-and-away season ranked first across the league for average disposals.

Dale’s impact has also been felt in the red, white and blue, averaging 25 disposals at 80.4% efficiency along with 4.8 rebound 50s and 6.2 marks.

The 28-year-old defender also registered a career-high average of 496.4 metres gained.

If the trio are selected in the final team, it would mark Bontempelli’s sixth All Australian blazer (2016, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2023), second nod for Dale (2021) and a maiden inclusion for Treloar.

The squad will be trimmed to a team of 22 on Thursday night, to be announced as part of the 2024 AFL Awards broadcast on Fox Footy.
Bont should be captain
Treloar on the bench
Dale just misses out because of a weak first month

Bont should be captain
Treloar on the bench
Dale just misses out because of a weak first month

Sort of what I’m expecting too.

Not a lot of obvious defenders though, could definitely see Dale sneaking in. I’m not sure what you’d have for your backs? Andrews and Weitering I’d definitely have as locks. Not sure any other tall defender had an AA calibre season. I’d probably have Blakey and Clark in. Have no idea on the last two.

Obviously a chance they put Sheezel there. Not overly keen on that. Thought his first 8 weeks or so when he was playing half back was just high volume, minimal impact stuff. Thought he was outstanding after moving to midfield/half forward and he was getting maximum impact. Had a great overall season and wouldn’t complain about him being AA but feels a bit weird putting him in the position where I don’t think he impacted much

Also lol at Rayner making the squad.

I think I’m a bigger fan of him than most. Think he still has massive potential but he had a fairly meh year. 25 goals and a touch over 15 possessions a game. Should not have been near discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back