What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

There is at least one very clear and significant difference. Jones pinned one arm leaving the ball carrying arm free to brace for impact.

Owies pinnned both arms leaving the ball carrier no chance to brace for impact.

I'm not sure how anyone can't see that. And because they are different, they are, by extension, not the same. Simples.
Agree.

Also, in the Owies tackle, Higgins is propelled straight forwards and his head hits the turf directly, Cadman is more side on, with his shoulder making primary contact to the ground, the head contact secondary.

Significantly different.

Agree.

Also, in the Owies tackle, Higgins is propelled straight forwards and his head hits the turf directly, Cadman is more side on, with his shoulder making primary contact to the ground, the head contact secondary.

Significantly different.
I genuinely don't understand the melts about this decision. Are there other decisions from this year which went the other way? The grading system is based around impact. Higgins went face first into the turf at speed and looked rattled afterwards. Cadman barely touched the turf and was completely unphased from it. I know I'm a biased dogs tragic but the uproar is ridiculous.

I genuinely don't understand the melts about this decision. Are there other decisions from this year which went the other way? The grading system is based around impact. Higgins went face first into the turf at speed and looked rattled afterwards. Cadman barely touched the turf and was completely unphased from it. I know I'm a biased dogs tragic but the uproar is ridiculous.
All the experts don't seem to understand that if the player doesn't come off for a concussion review (whether the club or AFL arc person directs it, doesn't matter) than the MRO's hands are tied with the grading they give the incident. Perfect example is Sam Darcy's hit on Maynard earlier this year, Maynard popped straight back up, was fine but he had to come off to be assessed so Darcy was gone.

There is at least one very clear and significant difference. Jones pinned one arm leaving the ball carrying arm free to brace for impact.

Owies pinnned both arms leaving the ball carrier no chance to brace for impact.

I'm not sure how anyone can't see that. And because they are different, they are, by extension, not the same. Simples.

Don't worry, it's just Lewis at his salty worst when it comes to us.

The Harbrow hit happened a looong time ago... let it go champ.

The AFLPA has today revealed the Western Bulldogs’ three nominees for the Most Valuable Player Award are Marcus Bontempelli, Liam Jones and Adam Treloar.

The MVP Award – the Leigh Matthews Trophy – is a player-voted honour which acknowledges the players’ player for the season.

Bontempelli is a dual and reigning winner (2021, 2023) of the award, having been nominated for the trophy a record nine consecutive times. The nomination caps off a career-best season for Treloar, who yesterday was also announced in the 44-player All Australian squad. Jones has been a consistent performer for the Dogs this season, averaging 11.9 disposals, 6.9 spoils and 3.5 intercept marks.
The remaining AFLPA award nominees (Best First Year player, Best Captain and Most Courageous) will be revealed tomorrow, Wednesday 28 August.

The winners of all four honours will be announced on Thursday 29 August as part of the 2024 AFL Awards broadcast on Fox Footy.

The AFLPA has today revealed the Western Bulldogs’ three nominees for the Most Valuable Player Award are Marcus Bontempelli, Liam Jones and Adam Treloar.

The MVP Award – the Leigh Matthews Trophy – is a player-voted honour which acknowledges the players’ player for the season.

Bontempelli is a dual and reigning winner (2021, 2023) of the award, having been nominated for the trophy a record nine consecutive times. The nomination caps off a career-best season for Treloar, who yesterday was also announced in the 44-player All Australian squad. Jones has been a consistent performer for the Dogs this season, averaging 11.9 disposals, 6.9 spoils and 3.5 intercept marks.
The remaining AFLPA award nominees (Best First Year player, Best Captain and Most Courageous) will be revealed tomorrow, Wednesday 28 August.

The winners of all four honours will be announced on Thursday 29 August as part of the 2024 AFL Awards broadcast on Fox Footy.
I can't believe that VDM didn't get one of our nominations. #outraged

TEARS, LAUGHTER FOR ‘ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME’ LANDSBERGER
Patrick Carlyon

Parents should not have to bury their children.

Nor should they have to stand on stage – before hundreds of friends, family, the odd billionaire, as well as AFL and sporting luminaries – to share the private intimacy of their very public loss.

Sam Landsberger, a Herald Sun sports journalist, died last Tuesday, and no one was prepared for his departure.
They still couldn’t fathom his absence at his send-off almost a week later at the Temple Beth Israel synagogue in St Kilda.

Landsberger was supposed to be catching up with a mate. He was meant to be best man at another friend’s wedding next month. He was always there, especially when you needed him most. He was 35, the most life-loving figure in any room.
Now he was gone, and the collective rawness about his unfair departure remained ripe.

Hundreds of grown men wept at his farewell. They laughed, too, again and again, about a life led with a movie script intensity of thrills, spills and an uncommon knack for words.

“Oh my goodness, where do I start?” asked his father Jake, who spoke of the “indescribable devastation” of Landsberger’s passing.

His son didn’t just light up a room, he explained, he had lit up their entire lives. It appears it had always been this way.
The youngest of three, Landsberger’s grade 2 teacher called him a “diamond … once in a lifetime”.

He was the kid who loved sport, though couldn’t play it very well. He needed stitches after trying to catch a cricket ball with his face. He did his knee, much later, when he attempted to take a “speccy” on a netball court. He was like that. A kind of magnet. Things happened around him.

The youngster would go to Western Bulldogs games with his sister, Jess. Once, she banged on the interchange window mid-match to alert her father, who was the club doctor at the time. Landsberger, about 10, had thrown up after gobbling a box of Cheezels.

His Western Bulldogs jumper was bright yellow, and the players had a new nickname for the kid (“Cheezels”) who lurked in the changerooms.

Landsberger joined News Corp in early 2010 and quickly made a name for himself as a newsbreaker, becoming one of the biggest names in the footy and cricket media landscapes.

He was hit and killed by a truck in Richmond on August 20.

Among those at his funeral on Monday were former Bulldogs players Scott West and Mitch Wallis, current captain Marcus Bontempelli, businessman David Smorgon, AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon, AFL Players Association chief Paul Marsh, former Australian ODI captain Aaron Finch and all-rounder Glenn Maxwell, Herald Sun journalists and rival media members including Caroline Wilson and Damian Barrett.
The Herald Sun

Not if he's playing;)
He’ll probably play the best half of his life, get so over confident that he thinks he should do the GF sprint because he is the best repeat sprinter of all time, then do a hammy and miss the second half.

Bontempelli is a dual and reigning winner (2021, 2023) of the award, having been nominated for the trophy a record nine consecutive times.

Nothing short of incredible…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching AFL 360 and they’re doing a bit on Jones/Owies and their suspensions, or lack of. The Jones’ tackle they’ve sync’d up the music so a great big thud of bass kicks in as he takes the GWS player down. Then the Owies tackle is played in silence.

I know I shouldn’t get wound up by this stuff…but that is someone deliberately making something appear worse than it was, and something else seem more mild.

Why are they out to get us?

Just watching AFL 360 and they’re doing a bit on Jones/Owies and their suspensions, or lack of. The Jones’ tackle they’ve sync’d up the music so a great big thud of bass kicks in as he takes the GWS player down. Then the Owies tackle is played in silence.

I know I shouldn’t get wound up by this stuff…but that is someone deliberately making something appear worse than it was, and something else seem more mild.

Yep the “splitting hairs” is nonsense. Pretty big difference between pinning one arm or both arms. Pretty big difference between shoulder hitting the ground first vs head first.

DO NOT WATCH. I can't stress this enough. The AFL media is an out and out, complete and utter joke.

The moment you stop watching and listening to their garbage your life will infinitely improve.

Their job is to create drama; don't take it personally.

its pretty simple -

owies - applys downwards tackle - good - but grabs both arms. -> heavy head hit
ash - grabs one arm - good - but arches back suplex style to bring player down on the trapped side -> heavy hit on head (free arm cant do anything to stop it)
jones - grabs one arm - good - applys downwards tackle - good - light or no hit of head

His response was great.

First coach of top eight club we smashed who gave us credit for defeat.

Respect.

Not just Jordan Lewis though. Plenty can’t see the difference. Cadman had a clear arm free to protect himself but didn’t. Dangerous or not it was clearly different from the Owies one who had both arms pinned until one freed up near the end. I didn’t see the Ash one last week so can’t comment on similarities but there were clear differences this week.

Couch boys particularly new Bulldogs fan Garry Lyon were more accepting.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back