What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Bevo is a flipping tank.
If he ever gets his hands on Cornes…

the avengers fighting GIF by hoppip

I don't think there is a more emotionally intelligent coach in the league. For a Gen Xer he understands how Millenials and Gen Z want to be led, personality wise, and that is something so valuable.

After putting career-threatening concussion issues behind him, Tom Liberatore plans to embrace every aspect of the Western Bulldogs' return to the finals next month.

Liberatore was left facing an uncertain playing future when he was sidelined indefinitely in May, having sustained his second concussion in the space of a few weeks - and fourth in a year.

Startling vision showed the veteran midfielder dazed and falling to the ground after an accidental boot to the head from an opponent in the Bulldogs' round-eight clash with Hawthorn.
It was Liberatore's only game in an eight-week stretch, but the 32-year-old hasn't missed a beat since returning in round 14, playing a key role in the Bulldogs' march towards September.

The Dogs face Hawthorn in an elimination final at the MCG on Friday next week.

"There were certain periods throughout that where I was frustrated about not being able to play and be part of what (has become) a finals team," Liberatore said on Thursday.

"Coming to the end of my career, as well, has made me value each little moment more.
"The technical side of making sure I turn and stay away from the knee-to-head injuries, which is what caused most of it, I've definitely worked on with 'Ladey' (midfield coach Brendon Lade).

"It's helped, for sure."

A crowd of more than 90,000 is tipped at the MCG for the Bulldogs' first final at home in Melbourne since the famous 2016 premiership decider.

The Dogs have played in seven finals since then - including the 2021 grand final loss to Melbourne - in Sydney, Brisbane, Launceston, Adelaide and Perth.

"We've chatted about it already and we're just excited for the prospect," Liberatore said of playing in front of a huge crowd.
"We've brushed on the enjoyment levels in general and how excited (we are) and how much we should embrace the nature of finals.

"It's back in Melbourne and we haven't played a Melbourne final for a while now, so that's another factor that we're all looking forward to and we can share with friends and family."

Liberatore is confident star midfielder Adam Treloar (calf) and Laitham Vandermeer (hamstring) will be fit to play against Hawthorn, with the pre-finals bye giving them extra time to overcome niggles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Western Bulldogs’ dynamic midfield duo Marcus Bontempelli and Adam Treloar have been rewarded for outstanding seasons with All Australian recognition.

A maiden blazer for Treloar, the 31-year-old was prolific in 2024, averaging 31.7 touches, 5.8 clearances, 4.8 tackles and 4.5 inside 50s.

He finished the home-and-away season ranked first across the league for average disposals.
Treloar had previously made the squad on three separate occasions (2016, 2017, 2019), finding an unmatched level of consistency and brilliance across his 22 matches this season.

Bontempelli earns his sixth All Australian blazer, joining some of the greats of the game including Brad Johnson, Chris Judd and Ben Cousins.

The Bulldogs skipper averaged 26 disposals and kicked 31 goals in his 23 matches this year, finishing the home and away season ranked in the top seven players for contested possessions, clearances, inside 50s, and goal assists.
More to come.

Marcus Bontempelli, Western Bulldogs

• 2016, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2023, 2024 All Australian.
  • Squad Member 2022.
  • 23 matches this season, 31 goals, 20 behinds.
  • Averages 26.1 disposals, 67.7% disposal efficiency, 13.8 contested possessions, 6.4 clearances, 2.8 centre clearances, 5.5 tackles, 8.3 score involvements and 5.7 inside 50s.

Adam Treloar, Western Bulldogs

• 2024 All Australian.
  • Squad Member 2016, 2017, 2019.
  • 22 matches this season, 15 goals, 6 behinds.
  • Averages 31.7 disposals, 72.0% disposal efficiency, 11.9 contested possessions, 5.8 clearances, 2.0 centre clearances, 4.8 tackles, 7.2 score involvements and 4.5 inside 50s.

FRESHLY minted All-Australian Adam Treloar is confident he will be fit to line up in the Western Bulldogs' elimination final against Hawthorn despite doubt over a nagging calf issue.

Treloar was named in the AFL's team of the year for the first time on Thursday night after a stellar home and away season in which he averaged 31.7 disposals and 5.8 clearances a game.
The prolific onballer is a key cog in Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge's premiership plans, but played with a tight calf against Greater Western Sydney in round 24 and underwent scans earlier this week.

While the scans cleared Treloar of a muscle strain, the 31-year-old missed the Bulldogs' training session at Whitten Oval on Thursday.
He plans to make the most of the pre-finals bye week before ramping up his program ahead of the knockout clash with Hawthorn at the MCG next Friday night.

"It is nice to have a week off and let the legs relax just to put myself in a position to train next week and hopefully train freely and play on Friday," Treloar told media at the AFL Awards ceremony.
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan also missed Thursday's training session, though a club spokesperson said the mobile forward was not in doubt for the elimination final at this stage.

The Dogs' 2016 North Smith medallist Jason Johannisen (calf) and small forward Rhylee West (jaw) are also pushing to make themselves available for the finals.
Now at his third club, Treloar has been part of five previous finals campaigns and played in losing season deciders with both Collingwood (2018) and the Bulldogs (2021).

The 253-game midfielder is relishing another shot at premiership glory as the Bulldogs enter the finals against a Hawthorn side in red-hot form, with a crowd of more than 90,000 expected at a sold-out MCG.

"It's the reason why you play the game," Treloar said.
"I've been around long enough and been a part of finals campaigns where you know how hard it is to actually get there.

"It's a whole new ball game now and I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to play in front of a sell-out crowd against arguably the in-form team of the competition.

"It's going to be a great challenge for us but one we're really looking forward to."
Treloar was named on the interchange bench in an All-Australian team captained by Bulldogs skipper Marcus Bontempelli.

Bontempelli earned his sixth All-Australian blazer, while Melbourne ruckman Max Gawn became just the 10th player to be selected in the team of the year at least seven times.

Minor premiers Sydney were the best represented club with four players selected: Errol Gulden, Nick Blakey, Chad Warner and Isaac Heeney.
Each of the other seven finalists had at least one representative, while the Swans were the only club with more than two.

"It's very humbling and I'm very grateful," Treloar said.

"It's cool to be in my 13th season at the ripe old age of 31 and receiving my first All-Australian blazer.

"It's pretty surreal to be up here with the superstars of the competition."

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back