What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

WESTERN Bulldogs star Adam Treloar is on track to face Hawthorn in Friday night's elimination final at the MCG, after making the most of the pre-finals bye.

The 31-year-old experienced calf tightness against Greater Western Sydney in the final game of the home and away season but played out the game in Ballarat.
Subsequent scans cleared the former Magpie and Giant of a strain, but Treloar will need to prove his fitness at Wednesday's main training session at the Whitten Oval before being ticked off.

"I am fully confident I'll be out there," Treloar told AFL.com.au inside the Western Bulldogs' new facility in Footscray on Monday afternoon.
"I'll train Wednesday. That was always the plan, whether I was tight or not I was always going to have a de-load week. I should be good to go."

Treloar earned All-Australian selection for the first time at last Thursday night's AFL Awards, after previously being included in the squad on three occasions during his time at Collingwood.
The Noble Park product finished 11th in the AFL Coaches Association champion player of the year award, behind first-time winner Nick Daicos, who narrowly beat Carlton captain Patrick Cripps and Sydney superstar Isaac Heeney.

No one averaged more touches in 2024 than Treloar, with the ball-magnet finishing the home and away season averaging a League-high 31.7 disposals, after hitting the 30-disposal mark in 15 of his 22 appearances.
Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge will ponder a couple of other selection decisions following Footscray's narrow win over Brisbane in Saturday's VFL qualifying final at the Whitten Oval.

Jason Johannisen made a successful return from the hamstring and calf strains that have prevented him from playing since round nine, finishing with 18 disposals in windy conditions.
Rhylee West kicked a goal from 12 touches after missing the round 24 game due to surgery on a broken jaw, but Arthur Jones kicked three goals on Saturday to keep the pressure on, after replacing him in Ballarat.

James Harmes has endured a frustrating maiden season at the kennel due to repeat hamstring strains but is in selection contention after amassing 37 disposals, nine clearances and eight tackles against the Lions.

Riley Garcia was busy with 28 disposals and seven clearances to maintain his strong state league form, while first-round pick Ryley Sanders laid a whopping 14 tackles to go with 21 touches and five clearances.

Laitham Vandermeer trained fully on Saturday and is expected to be available after being subbed out of the win against the Giants due to hamstring tightness.

Amid trade speculation and a resurgent campaign, reborn swingman Rory Lobb says he isn’t focused on his playing future at the Western Bulldogs.

Lobb is contracted until 2026, but reports in May indicated the forward-turned-defender would request a trade to a fourth AFL club this off-season, following moves to Fremantle (in 2018) and then to the Bulldogs (2022).

Ahead of the Dogs’ elimination final against Hawthorn on Friday night, Lobb stopped short of pledging his long-term commitment to The Kennel. “I’m not really looking to the future,” Lobb told Fox Footy’s AFL Tonight. “I want to focus on the game this week and, obviously, a deep finals campaign.
“I’ve said previously that I’m really happy with the way my football’s going, and I love the environment here.”

The third-year Bulldog played 15 home-and-away games — and 12-straight since Round 12 — averaging a career-high 13.6 disposals, 5.3 marks, and 2.1 intercept marks.

Despite Lobb’s noncommittal response, his teammate Bailey Dale expects the 207-centimetre utility to be donning Dogs colours next season.
“I think so, yeah,” said Dale to foxfooty.com.au when quizzed on whether he thought Lobb would stick around.

“He seems pretty happy when I’ve spoken to him … I feel as though he’s found his spot down back now, he’s very comfortable, and he’s only going to get better with another pre-season (in defence).

“I assume he’s going to be here in 2025.”

While acknowledging Lobb’s difficulties, Dale didn’t understate his importance to the club’s premiership cause in September.

“Obviously, ‘Lobby’s had a bit of an up-and-down year, being in the twos to start the year and bouncing back, and then getting thrown down back — his resilience has been great,” Dale continued.

“The way he’s impacting games down back for us now has been enormous, and he’s a real cog in our defence at the moment — he’s been playing some really good footy, and I have no doubt he’s going to impact over this finals series.”
Reflecting on his fruitful mid-year switch to the defensive half, Lobb was appreciative of the “straightforward” nature of conversations he had with coach Luke Beveridge.

“(Beveridge has been) really good. We’ve had a lot of honest conversations — I like it when someone’s straightforward with me,” the 31-year-old told Fox Footy.

“I wasn’t playing the football that I wanted to play at the start of the year — he needed more from me — and then not being in the team, and then him saying ‘go back’ (into defence).

“I was really excited to go and play that position — yeah, he’s been really good for me … He’s always honest with me.”

Lobb, who referred to the middle portion of the year as a “tough time”, says he pays no mind to the chatter occurring outside the four walls at Whitten Oval.

“We know that I’m here to play football — I feel like I’m very professional where I come in and do my job,” he said.

“All that stuff goes on in the media, so (I) let it sit to the side, and as long as I’m turning up and getting the most out of myself, we’re on the same page.” The Swan Districts product, who has irrefutably boosted his trade value given the versatility he has demonstrated, isn’t fussed about the role he is given — so long as he is suiting up for the seniors.
“I’ve always said that I don’t mind where I play,” Lobb said.

“Obviously, (I) played ruck when Tim (English) went out of the team, but I’m really enjoying my time down back.

“I feel like it’s probably my best position, to be honest.”

The 175-gamer has come a fair way since early May when Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph reported Lobb was leaning towards another departure.

Rory Lobb, if there was a mid-season trade period, would be asking for a trade,” Ralph told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackleearlier in the year.

While Lobb’s coy commentary suggests there may still be more to play out in the trade space, the burgeoning stopper is suddenly far more integral to his club than a few months ago.

I watched Footy Classified last night. No one else has commented on it so I might have been the only one.” Highlight” for us was Kane Cornes” comment that Naughton is over-rated as a forward. He rates Darcy and JUH as key forwards but not Naughton.
Sorry can’t do links and not sure how far into the show this revelation occurred. He is entitled to his opinion and accords with his body of work.

I watched Footy Classified last night. No one else has commented on it so I might have been the only one.” Highlight” for us was Kane Cornes” comment that Naughton is over-rated as a forward. He rates Darcy and JUH as key forwards but not Naughton.
Sorry can’t do links and not sure how far into the show this revelation occurred. He is entitled to his opinion and accords with his body of work.
I dont watch assified, but the YouTube algorithm is pretty persistent in pointing it towards me.

Think we'd all largely agree with that. He's good, but not great. 32 goals, 14 points isn't spectactular. Has another level to get to.

Helped Marra and Darcy get to ~40 goals this season though

Think we'd all largely agree with that. He's good, but not great. 32 goals, 14 points isn't spectactular. Has another level to get to.

Helped Marra and Darcy get to ~40 goals this season though
Assessing Naughts solely on goals kicked isn't really valid though, given he's playing higher these days.

Of our forwards, Naughts was the only one to make the Champion Data All Australian team, named at CHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assessing Naughts solely on goals kicked isn't really valid though, given he's playing higher these days.

Of our forwards, Naughts was the only one to make the Champion Data All Australian team, named at CHF.
Naughton was rated the number 1 key forward by champion data at one stage of the season

Korn might see it differently if Astro played for Power.

I don’t even know how his wife could lay next to him in bed.

Naugton has the best defensive pressure of any key forward in the comp. He’s a star. No idea why people in the media seem to push the agenda of he’s a shit forward and needs to go back.
Exactly this and it’s the reason we’re able to play all 3 without getting carved up in the rebound. This could come back to haunt me but in contrast I think a team is going to have a field day this month rebounding against McLean, Amartey and McDonald.

Jamarra clunking his marks and Darcy replacing Lobb has been enormous. Last year and at the start of this year teams were getting away with playing Blakey, Young, Bergman, Quaynor types on one of Lobb or Jamarra without being punished but they can’t do that now.

** I’d also put Darcy right up there with his efforts to smother, block, tackle, etc. albeit with less agility than Naught.

People still getting riled up by what Cornes says is pretty funny. Will you never learn?

All this stress can be avoided by accepting one thing: It's literally his job to say silly things and he doesn't actually believe what he says.
It can be avoided by not watching or listening to him. Or any of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back