What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

we’ve been critical of this club all year, and we have......we’ll be genuine in offering a big well done for last week’s great effort. But you know there’s a “but” coming, don’t you – we want to see such effort all the way through to end of August.

TELL ‘EM THEY’RE DREAMING: Carlton, the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne
The wins to the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne, against top-eight contending teams (Collingwood and Essendon) last weekend, offered faint hope for their September chances. But the reality is they are little chance of sewing up a finals spot. Carlton's run of three successive losses, against the Brisbane Lions, Geelong and Hawthorn, may also have extinguished its faint finals hope. All three teams sit three games outside the top eight, locked on four wins and eight losses, meaning they would need minor miracles to be part of the finals mix. With patchy form for much of this season, it's clear they would need to show marked improvement to be considered legitimate finals challengers this season. - Ben Guthrie

KEN HINKLEY sees a little bit of Port Adelaide in the development of the Western Bulldogs, likening his football ideologies to those of Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney.

McCartney's side had lost three straight games prior to last week’s stunning eight point win over Collingwood.

The Dogs won the contested possession battle and were dominant in clearances, winning 51-34.

Hinkley and McCartney, along with Crows coach Brenton Sanderson were all assistant coaches together at Geelong and the Power mentor said all coached in a similar style.

Hinkley said it should come as no surprise that their methods for winning stemmed from their days together at the Cattery.

"Knowing 'Macca' (McCartney), I think the contested side of the game, the defensive side of the game will be the number one priority – as it is with us," Hinkley said.

"You'll try and build your team from there and we've been able to do that and I'm sure they'll be working on doing it themselves.

"I think we'd have pretty similar ideas on the game.

"We've seen some stuff work that we get a fair bit of confidence out of, so we're going to coach and deliver that in a similar way."

The Power and Bulldgos meet on Saturday at Adelaide Oval and Hinkley was wary of a team boosted by its underdog win.

He strongly dismissed any hype over his Port’s gallant defeat to the Sydney Swans last weekend.

He called on his team to defend harder on Saturday to ensure it kept its one-win buffer at the top of the ladder.

"Let's be honest, [the Bulldogs] were copping a little bit of heat," Hinkley said.

"I think their form's been not as bad as some people would think – they’ve had patches where they've led games by four goals and just haven’t been able to complete the task.

"We know we need to defend better, that’s the simple message; we conceded 98 points last week and if we concede 98 points most weeks you're going to get beaten.

"There's an old saying that first to 100 wins and if you're going to let them get to 98, that's pretty close."

He has an obsession with tackling. It's his favourite stat.

Kingy rightly pointed out to him to be careful in focusing on tackling only. It just only means you're second to the ball.

Tackles inside forward fifty is the one coaches look at.
Traditionally good sides have been able to win/break even the contested possession and the tackle count, a la, they are first to the ball and working hard without it. Low tackle count is never a good thing.

TELL ‘EM THEY’RE DREAMING: Carlton, the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne
The wins to the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne, against top-eight contending teams (Collingwood and Essendon) last weekend, offered faint hope for their September chances. But the reality is they are little chance of sewing up a finals spot. Carlton's run of three successive losses, against the Brisbane Lions, Geelong and Hawthorn, may also have extinguished its faint finals hope. All three teams sit three games outside the top eight, locked on four wins and eight losses, meaning they would need minor miracles to be part of the finals mix. With patchy form for much of this season, it's clear they would need to show marked improvement to be considered legitimate finals challengers this season. - Ben Guthrie

Going way out on a limb there Ben. Sure you want risk your credibility making such an outlandish claims?

Oh. thats right you work for AFL.com, do carry on...

On Good Call Bad Call tonight one question was are WB responsible for Griff's injury. Barrett answered yes because he has been playing with a lot of pain from the condition all year [or something along those lines].

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Good Call Bad Call tonight one question was are WB responsible for Griff's injury. Barrett answered yes because he has been playing with a lot of pain from the condition all year [or something along those lines].
Would that moron say any different. He blamed us for Tom Williams' injuries too.

Good article.

There is always the opportunity to go back to our real name, the time will come. I expect by the time we're in line for The Day, with a generation of players to have come through the VFL ranks living and breathing the name Footscray, coupled with the general tendency to nostalgia and sentiment we could reasonably assume it'll be up for grabs. If not at Board level, certainly in the fan base. There'll be cries of "Footscray! Footscray!" ringing out around the MCG on that special Day.

Good intellegent article which says it all for me , sure beats the apposing view which usually includes such statements as, "move on" or "get over it" I know a lot of people are tired of the topic, but for me its pretty simple , we are the FOOTSCRAY FOOTBALL CLUB
and thats what we should be called. We have gone back to our premiership guernsey (which looks great especially with the white shorts) and i haven't heard any complaints. History is the fabric of football clubs and should not be tampered with.

Good article.

There is always the opportunity to go back to our real name, the time will come. I expect by the time we're in line for The Day, with a generation of players to have come through the VFL ranks living and breathing the name Footscray, coupled with the general tendency to nostalgia and sentiment we could reasonably assume it'll be up for grabs. If not at Board level, certainly in the fan base. There'll be cries of "Footscray! Footscray!" ringing out around the MCG on that special Day.

I think that the naming of the VFL side has increased the possibility that one day the AFL team will revert to Footscray as well. That might be a way off, but it could conceivably happen. That would make old campaigners like you pretty happy I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back