What's your advice to Richmond with their rebuild?

What strategy would you use?

• Strip the list - trade out all the players of worth above 25 and hit the draft heavily

• Leave the list - use the draft picks we have and keep the mature players to teach/protect

• Trade heavily - trade out players not essential to our culture/future structure and draft early

• Bring in players - over the next few years, head hunt players to fill roles, leadership and culture

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
What's your advice to Richmond as they rebuild?

1. Is it to trade out as many of their mid tabled talent for high draft picks (ie one player for two first round picks).

2. Is it to hold on to the players and picks we have and build from there?

3.Is it to trade in young talent and/or older players to reestablish culture, work ethic and game plan?

4. Is it to strip the list bare, hit the draft heavily and leave only those players that could be in our next premiership window?

What's your advice?

I don't think stripping the list or holding a trade fire sale is a good idea. I look at North Melbourne as a cautionary tale of what sort of damage that can do. Obviously if there is talent with only a few years left who still have a bit of value with clubs sniffing around (thinking Rioli's and Dusty's links to the Suns), then trading for some value draft picks is a good idea imo. I think hitting the draft is ideal, with some clever trading and retention of some long-term prospects already on the list supplementing that strategy.

Strip it.

Its Richmond. They will still attract high end talent in the next couple of years.

If they end up with three picks inside the top 12 this year, the tiger army will get right around those players and create a good buzz around the club.

I saw someone say if all 5 rumoured to leave players, do actually leave, then they might as well move on Lynch as well. Thats what id be doing.

This isnt North who have struggled to recruit in years gone by. This is a massive big 4 club. They can turn it around very quick if they strip the list.

The new CEO needs to conduct a review of the football dept again.

I’m tipping they find….

The new coach hasn’t been given a lot of support or shielding from the pressure that he should have at this stage in his career. Need a Neil Balme (circa 2005-2016 model) to mentor and support.

Recruitment team that was stripped in 2020 hasn’t been resourced back up adequately.

Fitness and Medical team are no longer elite and require more resource.

While VFL development has been strong, the ability for players to step up from this level indicates a lack of strong development coach over the past 3-4 seasons.

Mix of experience in group of assistant coaches hasn’t work and need to be reviewed.

All of this work is more important than list strategy for this year.

From the smoke signals coming from AFL media, it feels like there is a clean out taking place and they have a strong rebuild through the draft plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Bolton really wants to go, Saint Kilda's second should be enough...

Not really, I would strike this year, though, far more likely to get a top ten and early teens pick for him (given Freo's list, first rounders are at their lowest value to them currently). You won't get three firsts, but you'll get more than any other time I'd say.

Hit on those picks and keep some leaders, you'll be able to leverage being a big Vic team to get some good free agents in and could be up and about within a couple of seasons.

Edit: forgot to say, stick fat with Yze. He'll take you places with the right cattle.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Get the support players right first.
Everyone says the hawks stripped the list back going into 2005, but we had the likes of Dixon, Smith, vandenberg, Crawford, everitt all teaching the young recruits both on and off field.

Every "strip the list back" rebuild since has pretty much failed because they have forgotten you need the right support to help develop the players

My advice would be ...

Be patient. You don't need to be a big player in any trading.

Pick at the edges of good teams, targetting uncontracted players that aren't getting opportunity, either as FAs or cheap trades.

Hold all your draft picks and hold your good players unless a really attractive deal comes along.

Trading good players away isn't necessarily going to make the rebuild faster or better, but it will definitely make it a lot more painful.

If you do trade good players, try to get a spread of picks across multiple drafts rather than focusing exclusively on really high selections.

Richmond are hopeless at this process. It's why they become irrelevant for decades on end after reaching the top of the mountain.

With Taranto and Hopper locked up to monster deals, they're already on the back foot so you can understand why they're about to ship off every quality player currently on the list in order to try and do a Hawthorn.

Keep in mind, Hawthorn are brilliant at rebuilds so it's a tough one for Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's your advice to Richmond with their rebuild?

Back