What's your advice to Richmond with their rebuild?

What strategy would you use?

• Strip the list - trade out all the players of worth above 25 and hit the draft heavily

• Leave the list - use the draft picks we have and keep the mature players to teach/protect

• Trade heavily - trade out players not essential to our culture/future structure and draft early

• Bring in players - over the next few years, head hunt players to fill roles, leadership and culture

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's your advice to Richmond as they rebuild?

1. Is it to trade out as many of their mid tabled talent for high draft picks (ie one player for two first round picks).

2. Is it to hold on to the players and picks we have and build from there?

3.Is it to trade in young talent and/or older players to reestablish culture, work ethic and game plan?

4. Is it to strip the list bare, hit the draft heavily and leave only those players that could be in our next premiership window?

What's your advice?
I don’t think option 1 is even possible.

Who is going to give high draft picks for mid tabled talent?

Richmond are hopeless at this process. It's why they become irrelevant for decades on end after reaching the top of the mountain.

With Taranto and Hopper locked up to monster deals, they're already on the back foot so you can understand why they're about to ship off every quality player currently on the list in order to try and do a Hawthorn.

Keep in mind, Hawthorn are brilliant at rebuilds so it's a tough one for Richmond.

I know you're looking for a bite here but I actually agree with you....pre 2000's. We were reknown for jumping the gun, sacking the coach, trading out picks for average players and overspending so we were always playing catch up. But 30 + years of pain is a great educator and we learned some hard lessons about patience and slowly building from the ground up - and that's not even the playing list.

The playing list is actually the last piece of the puzzle. A stable administration who are all on the same page, great facilities to develop players, active welfare staff, fitness & medical team and a strong team of coaches, is the most important component of any success. Geelong has it. It's why they have been there about's for so long.

When you bring in talented players you need all those elements to develop, support and educate the players to a point that they can succeed. Its the first layer of developing a successful culture.

We've lost some of this atm with a CEO leaving who was the catalyst for all of our off-field success plus exiting coaches but we know the formula now. We know what we need and what it takes to be successful and patience is a big part of that.

So, while I appreciate that you were probably looking for a rise, I think you are correct with what you said but correct for the club were once were. Not who we are now. Three flags in four years wouldn't have happened without that change.

I think we have the long term firmly in mind now and know what it takes to be successful. There won't be any shortcuts this time.

I don’t think option 1 is even possible.

Who is going to give high draft picks for mid tabled talent?

I probably should clarify - by mid table talent I mean in terms of structural importance. Players like Bolton are the cherry on the cake not the foundation of a strong side. Jack, Rance, Cotchin, Prestia (prime) and Nank were these structural leaders that drove the others to success in our premiership years. Bolton and Baker are players that will make a good team, great. They could be the difference between winning and losing in tight games but they will not get you to that position in the first place. You could argue that Dusty is similar.

For players like Baker, Bolton and even Rioli, conceivably, we could get multiple early draft picks for them. That's what I'm referring to.

Keep 5-6 quality character older players who will help kids develop

Trade quality players in easily replaceable positions for draft capital

Aim to play kids in important positions (midfield rotation, half forward, half back), helped ably by the older core you’ve kept

Focus on figuring out what your style of play is and make it consistent across first team and reserves

Richmond are hopeless at this process. It's why they become irrelevant for decades on end after reaching the top of the mountain.

With Taranto and Hopper locked up to monster deals, they're already on the back foot so you can understand why they're about to ship off every quality player currently on the list in order to try and do a Hawthorn.

Keep in mind, Hawthorn are brilliant at rebuilds so it's a tough one for Richmond.

We got a dynasty from drafting well ya goose. Which included risking D Martin who was a trouble maker when he was young with pick 3.

And Pickett got a flag in his first AFL game coming from jail. That’s what you call good drafting.

All yours are from f/s picks and imports like J Cameron. Legit no skill in that, I could’ve recruited them.

We got a dynasty from drafting well ya goose.

You were in no mans land for how many decades prior to 2013-2020?

As I said, the Richmond football club are not good at it. I personally feel as though they remain mid table for a very long time to come.
Not out of the realms of possibility we see what West Coast through if Richmond trade away a couple of their remaining stars (Bolton, Balta etc). That is how poor the current state of your list is.
Throw in the current coach, not a good time to be bottoming out.

You were in no mans land for how many decades prior to 2013-2020?

As I said, the Richmond football club are not good at it. I personally feel as though they remain mid table for a very long time to come.
Not out of the realms of possibility we see what West Coast through if Richmond trade away a couple of their remaining stars (Bolton, Balta etc). That is how poor the current state of your list is.
Throw in the current coach, not a good time to be bottoming out.

Bit rich considering you guys had a 44 year drought where your best player ever shat the bed and won f all and you only have 10 flags with no dynasty. Sit down or switch to a real team.

And you lecture me on “civility”.
Stop following me around like a bad smell weirdo. You literally don’t respond to anybody else.

When cultist Cats supporters have a go at Richmond when there club is factually inferior I let them know.

Last edited:
Rip the bandaid off.

Identify the players who set the standards and can develop young talent, the Gunston and Bruest role.

Trade out for picks but also players who may not be around for the next flag but currently occupy key roles and therefore limit development, eg Mitchell and Jager out, Day and Newcombe step into midfield.

Hawks rebuild is going nicely, in hindsight I wish it started earlier rather than trying to top up (Scully, Patton, Vickery etc) and hoping to pinch another one with the 13-15 odd premiership players left on the list at the backend of the Clarkson era.

Most importantly Richmond needs to decide how soon it can next compete for a flag, set a plan and don't deviate. An important element of the hawks rebuild has been buy in from muliple boards/presidents and members. Richmond's recent success should provide the time and space to rebuild.

If it's the rebuild approach you know you're doing it right when flogs like Barret start accusing you of tanking in the early days.

Bit rich considering you guys had a 44 year drought where your best player ever shat the bed and won f all and you only have 10 flags with no dynasty. Sit down or switch to a real team.

You can carry on and have a fit as much as you like. Geelong were still regularly making finals throughout that 44 year drought.

You remember Matty Richardson?
He played a grand total of 3 finals throughout the best part of two decades.
1948-1966, not one single finals appearance!
1983-1994, no finals.
1996-2012, three finals matches in one single season (2001).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can carry on and have a fit as much as you like. Geelong were still regularly making finals throughout that 44 year drought.

You remember Matty Richardson?
He played a grand total of 3 finals throughout the best part of two decades.
1948-1966, not one single finals appearance!
1983-1994, no finals.
1996-2012, three finals matches in one single season (2001).

I remember Castanga winning more than the Abletts combined.

And Richo isn’t our best player ever so I don’t care

Of their players who have played over 100 games:

Keep - Balta, Broad, Grimes, McIntosh, Nankervis, Prestia, Short, Vlastuin

Balta's young enough to be in their next flag, and the rest of the players here are worth more in leadership and culture than what they could possibly fetch at the trade table. Nankervis perhaps could get a decent return if a club really needs a ruck, but since he's the captain, I assume he's a good leader so it's worth keeping him.

Trade - Baker, Bolton, Graham, Hopper, Lynch, D Rioli, Taranto

Baker, Bolton, Graham and Rioli are already halfway out the door. Some club desperate for a key forward will probably part with a top 40 pick for Lynch. And there's no point wasting Taranto and Hopper's primes on a bottom four team. Richmond should just cut their losses with those two and get what they can.

Last edited:
Of their players who have played over 100 games:

Keep - Balta, Broad, Grimes, McIntosh, Nankervis, Prestia, Short, Vlastuin

Balta's young enough to be in their next flag, and the rest of the players here are worth more in leadership and culture than what they could possibly fetch at the trade table. Nankervis perhaps could get a decent return if a club really needs a ruck, but since he's the captain, I assume he's a good leader so it's worth keeping him.

Trade - Baker, Bolton, Graham, Hopper, Lynch, D Rioli, Taranto

Baker, Bolton, Graham and Rioli are already halfway out the door. Some club desperate for a key forward will probably part with a top 40 pick for Lynch. And there's no point wasting Taranto and Hopper's primes on a bottom four team. Richmond should just cut their losses with those two and get what they can.

I agree with all this apart from Taranto and Hopper. Somebody needs to teach the young kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's your advice to Richmond with their rebuild?

Back