Autopsy Wheels falling off? 2 point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely no point rushing him back yet
Mills is notorious in taking a while to come to hand after return from injury so I think their is a need to get him back asap.
Half a dozen rounds rounds left for him to be playing somewhere near his best come finals. Its not a big window for him to get into a groove to have a big say in our finals campaign of which we all know he is capable. Anyway just my opinion on him more than across the team and making panic changes.

Rowie is a beauty.
Sacrifice one, educate a thousand.
9 goals 3 weeks ago.
Zero since.
Amartey offered not much in the air.
Reward a forward getting the job done in the twos. Even for list integrity sake.
I don’t know the answer but some of those guys need to know they can get a game with hard work & the senior regulars need to know they aren’t going to be gifted games after poor ones.
Agree Ted. What pains me and Amartey highlighted it yesterday is our forwards drop to many marks when they have the drop on their opponent from positioning in a marking contest. Nobody says contested marking is the easiest skill in the game because its not its bloody hard with the pressure from the defenders and pressure on the ball carrier upfield but when you have them done cold ffs clunk them. What also pains me no end is when this occurs what ever happened to the good old front and square or crumb from the spillage ? Non existent and we continually see the ball worked out of deep forward thrusts with a 4 or 5 possession handball chain created by the spare. So my next question would be where the **** is Papley or Wicks when this happens ? Its their job to be at the drop to clean up or at the very least harass the shit out of any opposition escape route. Infuriating the way today's game is played with structures and regimented ground positioning when good old basics when done well are or can be just as effective.

On ballers generally help out in defence when a side is under siege - Maybe I'm expecting too much…but Mills and Parker have strong defensive sides to their game - I just wonder if we’re starting to miss them?

Wouldn't have thought Mills and Parker do defensive work that Heeney doesn't. Mills is more likely to be sent back or play back.

That's a laugh. Quoting Joe Mantagna. His opinion is not even worth listening to. At the start of the year he did not even rate us. He is a joke of an expert at anything. If he reckons he is gone for a week I am confident he won't.

King talks sense.

If you continue to quote Montagna I might have to shoot you. :D

It's not mine, nor is it Montagna’s ‘opinion’. - its an AFL directive - it was put up on the screen.

And you’ll need a silver bullet.😏

Wouldn't have thought Mills and Parker do defensive work that Heeney doesn't. Mills is more likely to be sent back or play back.
I think Heeney s work area is very much centre-forward. The older pair have always worked the whole ground, Mills more so Centre-Back -

Perhaps my call on Heeney was wrong, maybe its just he’s used differently - but we could have used Mills in that last qtr rallying the troops in the backline.

So many people writing Parker off, and for what? What have you seen that’s given you any proof whatsoever he’s past it?

Presumably you can point to games last season, which seems ridiculous.
Even then, he was named in our bests in 3 of the last 6 games he played.

So many people writing Parker off, and for what? What have you seen that’s given you any proof whatsoever he’s past it?

Presumably you can point to games last season, which seems ridiculous.
The games he's played this year.

I don't think he's "past it" though, I think he can have an impact if we need a combative inside mid who bangs the ball forward / medium forward. Particularly on a wet day or if someone like Adams, Rowy are injured.

I just wouldn't bring him in this week after 7 weeks off and not exactly setting the VFL alight before that. Maybe to play up forward, but I'd rather we rest Isaac up there this week. If Heeney is out, that's another question.

I think Heeney s work area is very much centre-forward. The older pair have always worked the whole ground, Mills more so Centre-Back -

Perhaps my call on Heeney was wrong, maybe its just he’s used differently - but we could have used Mills in that last qtr rallying the troops in the backline.

No idea , I just don't think Horse would want Heeney down there, It was bad enough Logan went back imo

Agree Ted. What pains me and Amartey highlighted it yesterday is our forwards drop to many marks when they have the drop on their opponent from positioning in a marking contest. Nobody says contested marking is the easiest skill in the game because its not its bloody hard with the pressure from the defenders and pressure on the ball carrier upfield but when you have them done cold ffs clunk them. What also pains me no end is when this occurs what ever happened to the good old front and square or crumb from the spillage ? Non existent and we continually see the ball worked out of deep forward thrusts with a 4 or 5 possession handball chain created by the spare. So my next question would be where the **** is Papley or Wicks when this happens ? Its their job to be at the drop to clean up or at the very least harass the shit out of any opposition escape route. Infuriating the way today's game is played with structures and regimented ground positioning when good old basics when done well are or can be just as effective.
Agree - lack of effective crumbing is why LM took that last shot - he knew it’d be rushed out of the fwd line if the mark was dropped.

Last edited:
Probably not - but we need a cool head back there - Rampe can’t do it all

No Doubt and yesterday Rampe was struggling by hi standard , ditto Tmac was shaky.

No Cunningham and No Mills, Gulden out of puff

Bit of a perfect storm

This loss still shits me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A final comment on this round. IMO, that game jumper design just looked totally effeminate, with it's pretty rainbow edging. It looked like the boys were off to Mardi Gras in the sort of thing Barbie might dress Ken in, to celebrate having him neutered.

Inclusive sure, that I'm all for. How manly our players look is psychologically important. In essence, men's footy represents a stylised form of battle, a physical game of strength, speed, skill, endurance, strategy and courage. In essence it represents a stylised form of battle. We praise players who soldier on, blood stained bandages around their heads, telling our opposition we are tougher, harder, more willing to endure. We can hardly intimidate while dressed in rainbow frills. How about sequins?
The guernsey was putrid.

TBH I'm not liking the pile on McDonald for the missed shot late in the game.

The entire midfield was simply outplayed, defence under constant pressure and coughed up a 5-goal lead.

Too easy to take potshots at Logan but never should have gotten to that point anyways.

Last edited:
Miles better than the Saints and 30 points up. Players switched to coast mode from there and the Saints refused to roll over.

A bit too much arrogance in this group. Someone should remind them that they haven't achieved anything (but get absolutely pantsed in a GF).

If the group doesn't respond on their own merits after this loss. Then the solution for me is to put a premium on pressure and effort. If you're not giving it 100% then you have a rest in the 2s and we'll bring someone in that may not be as talented, but is willing to work harder than you on the field.

It’s the day after, however, I’m still in an old man yells at cloud mood.

I’m still sick of “socio-political-cause” rounds & made-up guernesys, especially yesterdays which looked like something off a jelly-babies packet.

I still want Wicks and Armatey replaced. Get Parker in - he’ll provide some much needed grunt and leadership. Get Mills in - he’ll regain form quicker in the seniors than in our VFL rabbble.

The entire midfield was simply outplayed, defence under constant pressure and coughed up a 5-goal lead.

Too easy to take potshots at logan but never should have gotten to that point anyways.

Me too, the cartoon was funny though

Too easy to take potshots at logan but never should have gotten to that point anyways.
Yep. In both games there were plenty of easier missed shots and poor decision making going forward, under less pressure.

It's like people who single out the defence when there's zero forward or midfield pressure applied to kicks coming in, or unexpected turnovers so we're out of position.

It’s the day after, however, I’m still in an old man yells at cloud mood.

I’m still sick of “socio-political-cause” rounds & made-up guernesys, especially yesterdays which looked like something off a jelly-babies packet.

I still want Wicks and Armatey replaced. Get Parker in - he’ll provide some much needed grunt and leadership. Get Mills in - he’ll regain form quicker in the seniors than in our VFL rabbble.

The guernsey didn't look good, it has nothing to do with our performance though (nor are they political causes).

If bringing Mills in without any games, I'd be sticking him up forward (and I'd be using Heeney there this week). Wouldn't want to depend on him down back or in the mids, as good as he is. Needs to get some match practice first.

Miles better than the Saints and 30 points up. Players switched to coast mode from there and the Saints refused to roll over.

A bit too much arrogance in this group.

Basically it in a nut shell , all the stats etc come from that , you could just see one

Sleeping on it even as someone concerned about Parker (popular view ) I think this week against North at home he has to play the more I reflect on it. Doublely so if heeney is out.

Presumably he has been training fully as not injured .

If he is going to come back on a perm basis then he needs a decent run at it, bit harsh to say here fire at the Gabba v Brisbane . Not underestimating North either but it's the week to give him a shot.

If he comes out hack kicks and looks slow then manage him back out .

Mills may be different , but as skipper well who knows , don't want to panic .

I'll probably change my mind 5000 times, the flip side is he needs to accept his role (not the number 1 mid) and he has been part of plenty of dud efforts and led plenty like yesterday . But his best is better than most. But he has also led the team to many losses like yesterday so he is being remembered for the good only currently .

Last edited:
We lost because the leaders and good players were shit,
But the players fans want to drop are the lesser lights .

If Gulden gets 12 possies but 6 directly go to opponents the flow on impact negatively is massive- but let's drop Wicks because he should have tackled more.
Has always been the way with sport, and probs always will be.

Coaches talk tough and say no player is above being dropped, but the fact is the star players are always given more weeks to turn their form around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Wheels falling off? 2 point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back