Autopsy Wheels falling off? 2 point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not getting the 'sky will fall in without Wicks' stuff, but everyone sees it differently I guess. Think he's limited but can be a handy bottom 6 player when in form, but don't think the 'pressure' he's bringing is anywhere near his best or is enough to make him an auto 22er atm. Playing VFL for a week or 2 might be the best thing to get him into good form before finals.

If the point is winning a flag, and in that last month you want to settle the team to gear up for finals, then these next few weeks are our last chance to test a few options and make sure we have the best team possible to do that.
Rotating some of our bottom end shouldn't be the difference between missing top 4 or not (if it is there's bigger problems and we're frauds anyway). It would be madness not to at least look at a Parker.

Not necessarily saying it should be Wicks out or even Parker in....they're just the examples. It could be one or 2 other bottom 6 players out for others on the fringe coming in. Parker & Mills should be VFL next week.
Not throwing the toys out of the cot, but having a look at the mix of our bottom 6 is worthwhile imo. We can always re-pick those guys for that final push if those coming in don't bring anything we like to the table. It's also about making sure those next 3 guys on the list are ready if we get a few late season injuries.
100% there is 7 games to go and we are 3 games clear of loosing our homes finals with the double chance. Making a couple of changes and seeing how Parker goes up forward or getting Mills back into the side or giving Hamling a chance in the seniors will be better for us in the long run.

We need a win why rest players?

Mclean out for Hamling who's never kicked an AFL goal?
Betcha Hamling kicks two if we play him.

The ins I suggested don't make a win less likely IMO. (Anyway Ladhams has been out so unlikely)
But those changes do make further wins down the track more likely.
Premierships aren't won in July too often.

If he actually turned forwards after the mark maybe he could’ve found a teammate in a better position. He didn’t even try, I hate that about some players.
The shame is that turning around after a mark is something McDonald regularly does, probably due to lack of confidence in himself. He didn't on this occasion, instantly pointed that he was gonna go back and have a shot. Looked clear to me that he was desperate to atone for last week's miss and felt the need to be the hero. But as the philosopher Tinas Turnus once said - we don't need another hero!

Betcha Hamling kicks two if we play him.

The ins I suggested don't make a win less likely IMO. (Anyway Ladhams has been out so unlikely)
But those changes do make further wins down the track more likely.
Premierships aren't won in July too often.

They are lost by losing games in July though

Ok I bet you Hamling will kick less than 2 senior goals in 2024 if you like?

Yes, mediocre. For someone of Parker's calibre, sure he was getting touches, but he wasn't exactly punishing the opposition. If he's fit and Heeney (who needs a rest) can't do a job up forward because he's suspended, then he's probably the next best medium forward option.

I'm not sure we're dropping McLean AND Amartey, both our backup rucks, when Grundy is struggling too. I'd probably bring Hamling in for Amartey, but you need McLean to stay, and we probably have Logan in a few ruck contests too.
Oh I see, you want him to tackle blokes, win the ball, handball it out to himself as he flies down the wing, kick it forward where he then takes the mark and goals. Fair enough.

We really need to work on our inside 50's. They are either really shallow or really deep and hoping for a miracle mark in a pack of 10. It feels like most of our set shots come from that 45-50m range.

Very rarely do we get the 20-30 range and are much more manageble

If he actually turned forwards after the mark maybe he could’ve found a teammate in a better position. He didn’t even try, I hate that about some players.

Like who?

He has Papley with 2 saints defenders between them .

Or Mclean sideways as he marks then after a step back he does turn and even if he looked everywhere he has one player now leading behind his opponent so risks a turnover and no one else running past they all stopped,
except for grundy getting deep. Then others ran down after

He has to take the shot really unless someone gets on their bike

IMG_0573.png IMG_0574.png

They all concluded it wasn't worth a week in the end as it was an open hand and he was trying to shrug attention - hand wasn't high. I know they started out talking it up, but there job is to make drama so....

Mooney and Robbo insist he is gone :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would have been a lot more positive if he had kicked it. It's getting to the point where I don't trust him taking pressure set shots with the game on the li
The shame is that turning around after a mark is something McDonald regularly does, probably due to lack of confidence in himself. He didn't on this occasion, instantly pointed that he was gonna go back and have a shot. Looked clear to me that he was desperate to atone for last week's miss and felt the need to be the hero. But as the philosopher Tinas Turnus once said - we don't need another hero!
Yeh he got balls, but do what’s best for the team. He’s average at best with set shots and he knows it and still decided to take it.

I would like to see either Parker or Mills come in as the sub. Mills has had a game in the reserves (I believe) so I would bring him back next week. Better then, against North than Brisbane at the Gabba.
They both need to play full games either in the 1sts or 2nds to get some miles in their legs IMO.
Agree Norf is a good game to do it. Some of our guys clearly need a spell. Give it to them and get some game time into those two too. If we lose to Norf because of it, so be it, though I think we still win. Getting some of these guys a spelll is more important that points now if we want a team up and about come finals IMHO.

Swans deserve to lose a couple of games to humble them. Playing down to opposition. They haven’t been playing out all 4 quarters for a while. Been winning by blowing teams out with just one hot quarter. Can’t do that to win the flag. It’s only because this season no other teams have been playing consistent good footy that we are so far ahead on the table.

Like who?

He has Papley with 2 saints defenders between them .

Or Mclean sideways as he marks then after a step back he does turn and even if he looked everywhere he has one player now leading behind his opponent so risks a turnover and no one else running past they all stopped,
except for grundy getting deep. Then others ran down after

He has to take the shot really unless someone gets on their bike

View attachment 2042091View attachment 2042092
That’s not the point. He didn’t even look towards Papley. Just pointed over his shoulder at goal

That’s not the point. He didn’t even look towards Papley. Just pointed over his shoulder at goal

I rewatched (yuck) he did look first the players near him tell him to go back. i think

2 straight Logan kicks and we paper over cracks.... if only

It's funny opposition boards saying how shit we are .

We are being written off everywhere so that good in a way

It's a pretty bad loss in the scheme of things giving up a 5 goal lead Saints are putrid.

Like we got outworked by a bottom 4 side yer it didn't really effect our ladder position but still should find a way to win from that position.

It's a pretty bad loss in the scheme of things giving up a 5 goal lead Saints are putrid.

Like we got outworked by a bottom 4 side yer it didn't really effect our ladder position but still should find a way to win from that position.

Which loss is good though, they all suck, I vote we stop them

bring on North, play tomorrow

Does it feel like wins and losses have become these massive reckonings they never used to be?

I feel like growing up Hawthorn might lose to Fitzroy,Brisbane drop a game to Essendon etc etc and they were top, won the flag and no one really got worked up over it
Before the internet doesn't count.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Wheels falling off? 2 point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back