Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Who wins the 2020 Flag - Prelim finals onward

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • Brisbane Lions

Votes: 57 16.3%
  • Richmond Tigers

Votes: 154 44.1%
  • Geelong Cats

Votes: 102 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I really think you guys are the only legitimate flag threat to exploit that because of Nic Nat but I don't know if you can beat Port in Adelaide or us in QLD to play the Tigers.
Port's combination could take advantage if it's just Big Nankervis.

We could beat Port at AO. Not saying we definitely would but I'd give us a chance. Queensland is a harder sell based on what I've seen this year, particularly if there's no Yeo.

Port had 5 best 22 players out when we played Richmond, who actually had 6 out not just the 3 you mention. And we absolutely destroyed you in general play,

No you didn't, I could name 10 players who could've played for Rich. You had 2 quality outs in Rozee and Ebert. If you want to add Motlop you can (we are however talking about quality, not just any player that missed).

Rich had 7 premiership players out, Nankervis, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Graham, Astbury and Houli. Let's not forget we travelled almost 3 hours on the day of the game on a 4-day break but still led at 3 qtr time.

How hard is it to understand that apart from Dusty we had our entire midfield out. Of course, you beat us in general play with a 3rd of our team out.
To put things in perspective. If you had these 7 out the game would be over by half time. Lycett, Boak, Wines, Gray, Powell Pepper, Houston, Darcy Byrne Jones

Its pretty even between the top 7 teams.

Tigers very talented and always a threat, but West Coast and Port on neutral ground also a big threat, Brisbane at the Gabba could get home.

Best ever finals series being away from the MCG home ground advantage to Collingwood and Richmond.

Whilst I hope to see the Saints cause an upset and snatch a flag, I think West Coast V Brisbane GF coasters by 17 points.

Ha, yes the old bump.

I have to admit Port Power has impressed me especially after how they comfortably handled the Pies in QLD. Definitely have proven the doubters wrong all year and I was one of them but no longer.

Port Power will cruise to the GF and from there anything can happen. Good luck against the cats.

No you didn't, I could name 10 players who could've played for Rich. You had 2 quality outs in Rozee and Ebert. If you want to add Motlop you can (we are however talking about quality, not just any player that missed).

Rich had 7 premiership players out, Nankervis, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Graham, Astbury and Houli. Let's not forget we travelled almost 3 hours on the day of the game on a 4-day break but still led at 3 qtr time.

How hard is it to understand that apart from Dusty we had our entire midfield out. Of course, you beat us in general play with a 3rd of our team out.
To put things in perspective. If you had these 7 out the game would be over by half time. Lycett, Boak, Wines, Gray, Powell Pepper, Houston, Darcy Byrne Jones
Geez, everyone (incl me) is saying the Tigers are favourites for the flag, is that not good enough for you?

But given you can't leave it alone....
1. If you're picking your best 22, playing at their best, then Rozee, Ebert, Burton, Marshall and Motlop make the 22 in the team that's top of the ladder. That's 5 isn't it?
2. Graham didn't play in the 2019 premiership. That makes it 6?
3. Travelling on the day is a club choice, we made that choice 3-4 times this year as well.
4. Yes you had a 4-day break, and we had a 5-day one. It was also our 3rd game in 9 days (Thu-Mon-Sat), Richmond's 3rd game in 10 (Wed-Tue-Sat). But that probably doesn't count?

Ha, yes the old bump.

I have to admit Port Power has impressed me especially after how they comfortably handled the Pies in QLD. Definitely have proven the doubters wrong all year and I was one of them but no longer.

Port Power will cruise to the GF and from there anything can happen. Good luck against the cats.
Just out of interest, is calling us Port Power a troll? Or just how you refer to us?

I don't think we'll necessarily cruise to a GF, could go either way. Beat Geelong and we're a shout though.

Tigers in the box seat here. I think their biggest challenge will come from Port. They have had an outstanding year. Not sure why the pundits don't rate them. You don't finish top of the ladder in reduced season if you are shit.

Therefore, I think it will be a Port v Tigers GF.

Port should win their first (Cats) and second (Lions) final.
Tigers should win the first (Lions) and second (Cats) final.

Will be one hell of a Grand Final.

Tigers in the box seat here. I think their biggest challenge will come from Port. They have had an outstanding year. Not sure why the pundits don't rate them. You don't finish top of the ladder in reduced season if you are sh*t.

Do you really see Port beating Brisbane in Brisvegas? Brisbane smashed Port in the H&A season and have a huge home ground/crowd advantage.. Also Brisbane will be looking to silence the haters and make it to the GF.

I really like what Port are bringing to the table. A bunch of tough and very good mids, an underrated yet reliable defence and a dynamic forward line.
Similar traits to the Brisbane side.

West Coast and Richmond probably have the most talented sides.

The saints and bulldogs will be up against it this year unfortunately.

I don't believe we are the team to beat. Don't know where you got that from.
The post I was replying to was a general rant about Port Adelaide don't even deserve to be in the conversation "because they haven't done anything lately".
And I'm trying to respond that we should, by showing a number of examples where teams do "come from nothing" to Grand Finals and premierships.

And now, of course, comes the "woe is me" tale about how special the season is and how what Port Adelaide has achieved this year doesn't matter. (and rewriting history whilst doing it)

Fair enough. You all win.

We were top on the ladder when we'd spent the first 7-8 games on the road, but that doesn't matter.
Port had 5 best 22 players out when we played Richmond, who actually had 6 out not just the 3 you mention. And we absolutely destroyed you in general play, you only had something like 24 inside 50's for the game. But that doesn't matter.
And Port Adelaide has played 3-4 games this year travelling on the day to a team that had been there for a week or two. Even last night, Collingwood hadn't been on a plane for what, 4-5 weeks? But that doesn't matter.
Hopefully we go down in straight sets and everyone is happy that they were right.
Violin moment at it's best........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you really see Port beating Brisbane in Brisvegas? Brisbane smashed Port in the H&A season and have a huge home ground/crowd advantage.. Also Brisbane will be looking to silence the haters and make it to the GF.

Brisbane will likely meet Port in a PF at the AO. No way in hell they beat the Tigers week one.

Last edited:
I hope we take it but the season still has it's own twists and turns left to go - think Port Adelaide and West Coast will play a lot better than people expect.

Just out of interest, is calling us Port Power a troll? Or just how you refer to us?

I don't think we'll necessarily cruise to a GF, could go either way. Beat Geelong and we're a shout though.
What? I have always called you Port Power....... how would it be a troll if your nickname is the Power anyway?

Geez, everyone (incl me) is saying the Tigers are favourites for the flag, is that not good enough for you?

1. If you're picking your best 22, playing at their best, then Rozee, Ebert, Burton, Marshall and Motlop make the 22 in the team that's top of the ladder. That's 5 isn't it?
3. Travelling on the day is a club choice, we made that choice 3-4 times this year as well.
4. Yes you had a 4-day break, and we had a 5-day one. It was also our 3rd game in 9 days (Thu-Mon-Sat), Richmond's 3rd game in 10 (Wed-Tue-Sat). But that probably doesn't count?

Wasnt talking about the flag was talking about the time we played port at AO. And btw i think Port will make the GF but many of your supporters keep harping on about we beat Richmond, yeah you did with a 3rd of our team out. Midfield decimated.

Come on marshall, burton and motlop aint going to change ports makeup, the 7 premiership players i named and yes graham is a premiership player (2017) are integral to our line up especially the midfield where we were smashed in contested ball, seriously how hard is this for you to comprehend.

No, it wasn't a club choice it was an AFL ruling, this has been relaxed of late, hence why we travelled the day before we played crows.
Your trying to compare your 5-day break in your own state to us having 4 days and traveling on the day of the game. The boys were up at 6am and on a plane at 8am, that's not normal so this anomaly will not happen in finals.

Last edited:
Tigers in the box seat here. I think their biggest challenge will come from Port. They have had an outstanding year. Not sure why the pundits don't rate them. You don't finish top of the ladder in reduced season if you are sh*t.

port are a legitimate shot, but i think people are put off by their recent late season records (at round 17 in past years theyd be in the middle of their spiral to miss the 8 after being top 4 for the first 15 or so weeks), their 50/50 record against other top 8 teams this year, and the fact that their position might be a bit inflated due to them actually getting to play home games (the same as how people see brisbane and west coast).

i personally dont trust them because of their capitulations the last 4-5 years after looking like a serious threat, every year is ports year until about this time. Theyre definitely a good shot, but they need to proove that theyve actually changed for me to trust them.

Until last night I had the biggest threats to the Tigers as the Dogs and the Pies - it looks like I may have over rated the Pies and they'll get smashed in the first week anyway now. The dogs still worry me - they always seem to match up well against the Tiges. If they get knocked out I think the Tigers will have their dream run by avoiding Port until the GF where they wont have their home advantage.

On paper, Lions should be winning this easily. Basically played the entire season in their home state, the GF will be at their home ground and they finished 2nd. The fact that literally no one thinks they will win the flag is odd.

I can see Brisbane losing to Richmond in the first finals game and then winning the next two finals games to meet Richmond again in the GF.. then Brisbane pull off the biggest upset and defeat Richmond in the GF.

On paper, Lions should be winning this easily. Basically played the entire season in their home state, the GF will be at their home ground and they finished 2nd. The fact that literally no one thinks they will win the flag is odd.
They've been so unimpressive tho! When I watch them play - I always feel like they're just average but find a way to get over the line. Can anyone point me to a game where they've actually looked like a good team? Maybe round 7 where they beat GWS in Sydney and they beat Port in round 5. Other than that they seem to have met teams at their low points and even then just doing enough to win.

As youve pretty much said, the game earlier in the season is pretty much irrelevant now...

For mine Port should be above Geelong and Lions in the rankings and pretty much even with us (although im still not convinced we are definitely favs).....

Port have really impressed me this year, even the game last night despite being scrappy showed me how many gears they have, going to be very hard to beat in a final imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Back