Who would you trade for the Eagles 1st Round pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

this may have been covered off but the newspaper has us interested in Mark Seaby.... WTF?
Yay let's throw our first round draft pick at a player who can't get a game for a weak side because that will improve us heaps. Maric, Sellar, Moran, Griffin, McKernan and Tippett are all heaps shitter than Seaby and should be AA by now. Absolute spuds. We should also trade van Berlo, Otten and Dangerfield for Pavlich. That should win us a flag.

This, ladies and gentleman, is the thinking of quite a large percentage of avid Advertiser readers and 5AA listeners, the same kind of people who ring up and bag a player for not getting much of the ball (failing to realise that player X was injured). :thumbsdown:

what you would be interested in getting him?

the paper said it would involve Griffin for Seaby. Seaby is apparently only 25 so he has a few good years left in him, I'm just failing to see how his rucking is going to improve our side?
Straight swap for Griffin is either win-win or lose-lose, depending on which way you look at it. More likely it's just a nil-all draw. I'd do it if that's what the players wanted to do, but I wouldn't be throwing any sweeteners into the deal either way. A swap of one ruckman for another doesn't result in any changes to the structure of our list, which is also important.

Seaby DOB: 1/5/84 (same as Adam Selwood coincidentally)
Griffin DOB: 14/1/86

Only 1 1/2 years in it - not enough to make one more valuable than the other. Neither have contributed significantly in the last 2 years. Should be around the same value.

Why would we want Griffin is the question? We dont have allot of ruckmen that is true, but if Cox goes down we will just play Lynch+Naita and if Naita goes down we will just play Cox. If Both Naita and Cox go down (were screwed anyway) we will bring in Sullivan and play Lynch.

It sounds a bit like newspaper dribble.

Regarding Seaby what we would go in looking for is an early second rounder, what we would most likely settle with is a pick upgrade from 3rd to 2nd round, what everyone seems to be willing to give us is a 3rd rounder or nothing (ie PSD pick).

Why would we want Griffin is the question? We dont have allot of ruckmen that is true, but if Cox goes down we will just play Lynch+Naita and if Naita goes down we will just play Cox. If Both Naita and Cox go down (were screwed anyway) we will bring in Sullivan and play Lynch.

Regarding Seaby what we would go in looking for is an early second rounder, what we would most likely settle with is a pick upgrade from 3rd to 2nd round, what everyone seems to be willing to give us is a 3rd rounder or nothing (ie PSD pick).

just out of interest. What the hell has he done wrong to be soooo offside with the coaches?

The article actually suggested that this would have to become a multi-club deal. What it suggested was:
Seaby->Adelaide
Griffin->Club X
small forward -> West Coast

I be happy with that, as long as we weren't expected to throw any sweeteners into the deal.

Agree with most of this except this, he hasn't had one full proper pre season yet with us (and yes I know this points to the injury problems) but I would like to see him have a full injury free uninterrupted pre season first before I make judgement on that.

Fair enough, but he'll 25 in November. He's always going to be way behind the 8-ball no matter what happens. And that is a hard thing to sell to a new club. A 25 year old who's only had one truly outstanding season, and even then, it tapered off and was finally undone by injury when it counted.

just out of interest. What the hell has he done wrong to be soooo offside with the coaches?

Request to be traded last year...

In 2008 we had basically decided that one ruckman was enough to persist with and that Seaby would generally only come in when matchups suited it (played 14 games), sort of like Collingwood when Fraser is fit and on form. Seaby suffered a bit from coming in and out of the side and probably knew he was there as backup. Not that im making excuses, because his form was also relatively poor compared to 2006/07, much like the rest of the team also.

He asked to be traded at the end of 2008, since then we have bought him back for 5 games, round 1, rounds 8/9 and rounds 16/17. Basically because of good WAFL form and matchups, but as soon as Naita got fit enough to play AFL Seaby got relegated to the WAFL regardless of form to help Naitas development and because we know that Seaby wont be around next year.

Request to be traded last year...

In 2008 we had basically decided that one ruckman was enough to persist with and that Seaby would generally only come in when matchups suited it (played 14 games), sort of like Collingwood when Fraser is fit and on form. Seaby suffered a bit from coming in and out of the side and probably knew he was there as backup. Not that im making excuses, because his form was also relatively poor compared to 2006/07, much like the rest of the team also.

He asked to be traded at the end of 2008, since then we have bought him back for 5 games, round 1, rounds 8/9 and rounds 16/17. Basically because of good WAFL form and matchups, but as soon as Naita got fit enough to play AFL Seaby got relegated to the WAFL regardless of form to help Naitas development and because we know that Seaby wont be around next year.

What..:eek:..clubs don’t do that? Say it isn’t so Batman? :confused:

ah fair enough then. So in reality its more about having someone better suited for the role rather than not being good enough (well in a round about kind a way)

Sounds familiar doesn’t it but we send them to the SANFL and choose to use the ‘close enough is good enough theory’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds familiar doesn’t it but we send them to the SANFL and choose to use the ‘close enough is good enough theory’

well i guess if there is a particular player with the Ruck if you have 2 ruckman or atleast 1 quality and one potenial quility it is always going to more difficult

when your talking mids or smalls I guess its harder to legitimize a non selection :confused:

Especially considering the Ruckman were talking about is a 4xAll Australian, in his Best and Fairest winning year (08).

Im more then confident that Seaby would slot straight into a 2nd ruckman role (if required) at any other club. Its then up to him if he has the scope for improvement required to get back to his best and then grow to become a No.1 ruckman.

What..:eek:..clubs don’t do that? Say it isn’t so Batman? :confused:

God you're becoming annoying mate. I'm assuming you're relating the situation at West Coast to Walker not playing AFL somehow...

Let's see, Seaby said he WANTS TO BE TRADED and won't be there next year, hence is given a low priority, sounds different to me.

You seem to have been infected by the "Play all the kids" virus, which Hawthorn and Carlton seem to have spread far and wide... It's not a good idea, and better people than I have told you that.

Now every time you can, you put these snide little one liners, and add "Pony boy, to the moon, Batman" on the end, just to make things more offensive to read.

I know you'll take this post as a massive personal affront to you, so why don't we just indulge that theory: HTFU and stop bleating about your thoughts in a non-sensical manner.

Give us a thumbs up Crows98. :thumbsu:

You're a class act mate, class act.

You will find that Seaby wants to be traded away from the Eagles as he isn't getting a game and if he was playing week in week out he would be staying. Is this good for the eagles right now? Who knows but he pissed as he is getting overlooked. In the long run this may be the best thing for the West Coast Eagles, not Mark Seaby but the Eagles.

Now you can try and be funny all you like by extracting the urine out of me but at the endof the day we still have a ****ing dreadful record in finals and keeping the same players, the probability isn't good this will change.

By playing walker, danger and Davis may make us lose 2 or 3 extra games this year but in the long run it will be more of a benifit.

Have fun.

You're a class act mate, class act.

You will find that Seaby wants to be traded away from the Eagles as he isn't getting a game and if he was playing week in week out he would be staying. Is this good for the eagles right now? Who knows but he pissed as he is getting overlooked. In the long run this may be the best thing for the West Coast Eagles, not Mark Seaby but the Eagles.

Now you can try and be funny all you like by extracting the urine out of me but at the endof the day we still have a ****ing dreadful record in finals and keeping the same players, the probability isn't good this will change.

By playing walker, danger and Davis may make us lose 2 or 3 extra games this year but in the long run it will be more of a benifit.

Have fun.

This is the opposite situation though. This is a senior player disappointed that he's being dropped regardless of his form because a club is playing youngsters regardless of their form.

In our case it's a young player not being in the club yet because his AFL form hasn't been good enough.

You couldn't find a situation further removed from the Walker situation.

Please, PLEASE take Seaby. I do not trust Choco.

Me and you have had this discussion on the Power board previously, you blokes would be silly not to take Seaby.. I said it there and ill say it here, once he settles into his new club and starts playing a few games there will be quite a few on your board who will lament missing the oppertunity (unless Choco takes him of course).

I guess there were a few who didnt want Rodan either..

As much as I love McKernan, and have been pleasantly surprised by Sellar's improvement in the latter parts of this season, I can't help but feel that this trend of 195cm ruckmen is a fad that will pass. I think the only ruckmen we can rely on actually being ruckmen currently on our list are Moran, Maric and Griffin. Griff might not even be here next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you trade for the Eagles 1st Round pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back