whos got the best young list

Remove this Banner Ad

Our 22 this year has been basically our under 21 team. I remember at one stage we had a younger team than the team that Fremantle took to Tasmania (which everyone thought was insane). Basically the main reason we won the spoon (and the fact that Priddis, A.Selwood, etc are shit senior players.)

We have young players coming up, and our team basically consisted of these young players each week. Essendon does not; basically relying on these older senior players because your youngsters are basically nonexistant. We still finished within 3 wins of you.

So basically what you are saying is ...

Re: Who's Got the Best Young List?

Naitanui played all 22 games for the Eagles in 2010 (a lot of AFL listed big men his age are struggling to get just one game), improved his averages in every statistical category bar tackles (just a drop of 0.5 per game, but still averaged 3.4 per game, which is good for a ruckman, particularly of his age), and established a Champion Data Player Ranking score average 14 points higher than in his first season (one of the biggest improvers in the league in that particular stat), showing that his overall statistical impact was much greater. Obviously stats aren't everything, but there's nothing there to say that he didn't improve greatly on his first season. He might not have been dominant or pulling highlight reel moments out every week (if he was, he'd probably be incorrectly labelled "all flash" a la Dale Thomas once upon a time), but what did people realistically expect from a second-year ruckman?

As for the specific thread topic, I'm still yet to see anything top this:

Collingwood 23 and Under (born after December 31, 1986)

B: Alan Toovey - Nathan Brown - Tyson Goldsack
HB: Simon Buckley - Ben Reid - Scott Reed
C: Steele Sidebottom - Sharrod Wellingham - Dayne Beams
HF: Brent Macaffer - Travis Cloke - John McCarthy
F: Brad Dick - Chris Dawes - Jarryd Blair
R: Cameron Wood - Scott Pendlebury - Dale Thomas
I: Lachlan Keeffe - Luke Rounds - Josh Thomas - Ben Sinclair

13 Premiership players in bold.

I shat myself a little when I read this - seriously scary.

So possession wise Hurley may have had the better 1st year who gives a rats , does that prove my statement that Astbury and Griffiths as 1st year players had better than some , NO !!
You sir appear to lack the ability to comprehend and why am I not surprised ? :) :)

Possesion wise? yhe had te better season full stop. By a massive margin. I used Hurley as an example because this was a good case of a player aving a better first season than many. Griffiths first season was ordinary.

And yes, I can compreend your post. You said he had a better first season than many first year players. You are clearly of the belief that he had a better than average first season when in actual fact he sowed next to nothing . Will be lucky to be on your list in 3 years time. Atleast wait till he does something, anything, before sprouting rubbish.

As for the specific thread topic, I'm still yet to see anything top this:

Collingwood 23 and Under (born after December 31, 1986)

B: Alan Toovey - Nathan Brown - Tyson Goldsack
HB: Simon Buckley - Ben Reid - Scott Reed
C: Steele Sidebottom - Sharrod Wellingham - Dayne Beams
HF: Brent Macaffer - Travis Cloke - John McCarthy
F: Brad Dick - Chris Dawes - Jarryd Blair
R: Cameron Wood - Scott Pendlebury - Dale Thomas
I: Lachlan Keeffe - Luke Rounds - Josh Thomas - Ben Sinclair

13 Premiership players in bold.

How many players are 23? Just wondering because there must be a reason you have selected such an odd number to compare.

Collingwood is a hard working side, a lot like St Kilda. Results are based on work rate and tactical advantage, a lot of clubs struggled to deal with Collingwood's defensive press combined with the near flawless run of injuries and a nice draw at the MCG.

That is similar to what made Hawthorn a very good premiership side in 2008. But, since 2008 the Hawks workrate dropped off, sides found ways through their rolling zone and they started to get runs of injuries like other clubs.

Not predicting that it will happen to Collingwood, but it wouldn't surprise me if things didn't work out in 2011 as well as they did in 2010 if some of the factors do not go their way. There are a fair few on that list that were generous B-Graders prior to this year.

I still like the look of Freo's list but not sure if they will repeat the performance of this year. Largely because the domination was from a lot of unknown guys who all started to play well at the same time, clubs do a lot of homework over the pre-season about every player's strength and weakness and matchups on relatively new players improve during the second year which often contributes to second year blues.

The concern was later on in the year a lot of flaws were started to be exposed and when you were a few quality guys down it put a lot more pressure on the leaders.

I still like Freo's squad, a lot of good talent there. When is Barlow expected to be able to play?

Round 1 :thumbsu:

How many players are 23? Just wondering because there must be a reason you have selected such an odd number to compare.

I didn't select the number - others were naming their sides best 23-and-under lineups in this thread, before in diverted into Essendon vs. Richmond and then Melbourne vs. West Coast.

Six of those players I listed in that side are 23-year-olds (born in 1987) - Cameron Wood, Travis Cloke, Alan Toovey, Simon Buckley, Tyson Goldsack and Dale Thomas - and four of them played in the 2010 Premiership. If you want to cull it to 22-and-under (born after December 31, 1987), we've still got nine Premiership players in that category. Either way, should they stay fit and maintain their hunger, it's not unreasonable at this stage to think that more than half of our 2010 Premiership side will be right there challenging every other team's future Premiership heroes for at least another 5-6 years yet.

FB: Cale Hooker, Tayte Pears, Kyle Hardingham
HB: David Myers, Michael Hurley, Heath Hocking
C: Travis Colyer, Jake Melksham, Courtenay Dempsey
HF: Angus Monfries, Scott Gumbleton, David Zaharakis
FF: Darcy Daniher, Jake Carlisle, Kyle Reimers
R: Patrick Ryder, Leroy Jetta, Ben Howlett
I/C: Sam Lonergan, Anthony Long, Thomas Bellchambers, Taite Silverlock

Football aside, these are some of the weirdest names I've ever seen. Anyone else get what I mean?

EDIT: Anyway, definitely Collingwood. They just won the premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our list is in much better shape.

Your best 22's this year have been based on experience, eg Watson, Fletcher, etc playing. And you have been consistently failing.

Our 22 this year has been basically our under 21 team. I remember at one stage we had a younger team than the team that Fremantle took to Tasmania (which everyone thought was insane). Basically the main reason we won the spoon (and the fact that Priddis, A.Selwood, etc are shit senior players.)

We have young players coming up, and our team basically consisted of these young players each week. Essendon does not; basically relying on these older senior players because your youngsters are basically nonexistant. We still finished within 3 wins of you.

Your best players were all senior. Priddis, A Selwood, Lecras and Embley were all your most consistent players. Watson is only a year older than Lecras.

The team you beat Essendon with was hardly more experienced.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2010/051820100717.html

You are seriously the dumbest poster here, lewigie. I swear you're related to Sumich.

Your best players were all senior. Priddis, A Selwood, Lecras and Embley were all your most consistent players. Watson is only a year older than Lecras.

The team you beat Essendon with was hardly more experienced.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2010/051820100717.html

You are seriously the dumbest poster here, lewigie. I swear you're related to Sumich.

Consistent because they're senior. My point is that at one stage we had Priddis, Embley and Cox as our most senior players. Our next senior player from there was Beau Waters. We still finished within 3 wins of Essendon, which was made mainly of senior players during the year.

Cale, Kyle (x2), Tayte, Taite, Courtenay, Darcy, Leroy, and that's before we even get to the surnames (which, to be fair, the parents had no choice in).

Well, my brother's name is Darcy so that one doesn't seem so weird to me.

But 2 people named Tayte/Taite? You'd be lucky to meet two people called Tayte/Taite in a lifetime. I didn't even know it was an actual name.

Hocking, Jetta, Howlett, Riemers, Zakarkis, Colyer, Melshaskam...

Worst young onballer group on afl?

Seconded here.

Collingwood is way ahead of the pack followed by Fremantle, Melbourne and Richmond.

theres no comparison with West Coast either. They are in serious trouble the next few years.

Honestly,

Collingwood
Melb and North (can't split them)
Freo
Richmond
WCE

Freo could be higher than Melbourne and North with the likes of Barlow, Palmer, Hill, Morabito... but i think OVERALL the young players on their list aren't quite as accomplished as Melbourne and North's....

but that's just my opinion

Consistent because they're senior. My point is that at one stage we had Priddis, Embley and Cox as our most senior players. Our next senior player from there was Beau Waters. We still finished within 3 wins of Essendon, which was made mainly of senior players during the year.

Essendon had the same age profile as West Coast. They still did better.

Your best young player this year was Scott Selwood. That's so hilariously sad most wouldn't know where to begin.

Stats don't lie sweetheart. Read up and neck up.

Remove this Banner Ad

whos got the best young list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back