Game Day Round 1 2022: Crows vs Dockers, 20.3.2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really.
I actually love his endeavour, but he is too frenetic causing him to make bad decisions or not executing well.
Not executing well? He's just about our best spot up kicker into the forward line...it was on display there again today.

Good:

Should have beaten a team that's better than us even after playing some of the worst footy for an entire half. I felt going into the game that we wouldn't be ready for it given our interrupted pre season games. Dawson and Milera clearly had to wipe off some rust. I think the second half proved this. We started hitting targets again and our ball movement took off. Tale of two halves and I wouldn't read a lot into the game as a whole. Freo are a decent side and played pretty well. We did well to come back like we did and just made some key errors in the last quarter that cost us the game.

Rowe's best game by far. Think he was bog for us given how calm he was in the first half. Hard to blame him and TT for the loss when there were probably 50 other massive **** ups by other players all game. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come from Rowe. I was pretty harsh on him late last year, but I always forget that was his first season.

Rachele. Not much else to be said really. Has got elite talent and is showing it from day 1. There was an underrated play at half forward in the last where he soccered the ball to his advantage then two against one slapped the ball between his legs to our advantage. So clever. Will be a match winner and sorely needed.

Brown and Butts solid as usual.

Murray excellent in the air and one v one today. But gee his kicking was atrocious.

Sholl was good for the most part when he came on. Think he lacks recovery from contests though. Still too light, but he gets pushed off or taken out of a contest and then just struggles to get going again. Reminds me of an old man at times.

Matt Crouch pretty good first game back. I know we love to hate our onballers, but he's still pretty good and for a first game back that was decent.

Good second halves:

Dawson. Seemed to just click and then could do no wrong. Good in the air and great with his ball use.

Keays. Shocking first half and I was livid in the last when he went for the snap in the pocket (like he was doing in pre season) in the last. To his credit he did lift in the second half and was probably our best player. I honestly think he's gotten too cocky though. It's okay when he's in congestion and getting out of trouble (which he does really well), but he needs to dish off more often than not.

Bad:

Pretty much everyone's first halves except for Rowe.

Schoenberg's worst game by a mile. I think he had maybe a handful of decent touches and the rest were disgusting. Fumbled a lot as well. Not like him and I'm confident he'll come back from that.

TT had a couple of good grabs, but was largely invisible and had two poor moments in the last quarter. He's better than that. He'll be fine.

Doedee was quiet and had no influence. Think he made a couple of poor decisions late in the game as well.

Milera very poor first half and clearly needed another sanfl trial game. Much improved in the second half though and I think he'll be an asset if he stays fit.

Not executing well? He's just about our best spot up kicker into the forward line...it was on display there again today.
He kicked one really nice pass into the 50 in the third. A short time later he played on in traffic and totally shanked the kick.
Running in to goal in last quarter, missed gettable goal, but should really have given off to Schoey who was free, closer to goal and on better angle. He is also not a reliable one-touch player, or even one-grab for easy marks.

Absolutely.

All good. So much upside.

We would have stolen it really, they just took back what was theirs.

Disappointing to experience as a supporter, but I’m sure we will improve from here.
I wasn't upset at all after the game, didn't think we really deserved the win and would have stolen it as you said. What I enjoyed most was the fightback and not capitulating like a few games last year (GWS and Essendon standout).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ned McHenry career stats:
Frees For -34. Frees against 50.
In 30 games as a small forward - total goals 11.
Total goal assists - 10 (that‘s one assist every 3 games)
Total changers - 94 (average of 3 per game)

I am not usually a “stats are everything” advocate, but these don’t suggest he is a good player in any way.

Keays. Shocking first half and I was livid in the last when he went for the snap in the pocket (like he was doing in pre season) in the last. To his credit he did lift in the second half and was probably our best player. I honestly think he's gotten too cocky though. It's okay when he's in congestion and getting out of trouble (which he does really well), but he needs to dish off more often than not.
I think it's pretty clear the coaches are instructing Keayes to back himself to take shots because he spent some time playing forward at Brisbane when he couldn't nail down a spot in their midfield. I think they need to stop this though. Tap him on the shoulder and tell him to dish off to a forward. He's just not a reliable enough shot at goal. Still thought he was great today overall, especially in the second half.

I wasn't upset at all after the game, didn't think we really deserved the win and would have stolen it as you said. What I enjoyed most was the fightback and not capitulating like a few games last year (GWS and Essendon standout).

I found myself in a rather similar boat. A very similar feeling to the Hawks loss last year where all the negatives of a loss is just overshadowed by a 1st gamer just announcing himself that he's a serious player.

I found myself in a rather similar boat. A very similar feeling to the Hawks loss last year where all the negatives of a loss is just overshadowed by a 1st gamer just announcing himself that he's a serious player.
I was also just glad to see Milera get through his first full game since 2019

Ned McHenry career stats:
Frees For -34. Frees against 50.
In 30 games as a small forward - total goals 11.
Total goal assists - 10 (that‘s one assist every 3 games)
Total changers - 94 (average of 3 per game)

I am not usually a “stats are everything” advocate, but these don’t suggest he is a good player in any way.
You get one right soon

Maybe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Round 1 2022: Crows vs Dockers, 20.3.2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back