List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what game it was but even if it was that game, he had only played a few games and got thrown in last minute to play a preliminary final against the Coleman medalist and kept him to 2 goals in a side that got dominated... doesn't sound too bad.

Actually this was the write up, so my memory was correct. Did well in a big final:

Screenshot_20220429-113120_AFL.jpg

I'm not sure whether to be worried, thrilled or a mix of both that we're reaching a point where our discussion should turn from contemplating which scraps to pick off the successful sides to trying to fend off the vultures from our fringe players. I could see the likes of Byrnes, Bytel, Highmore, Sharman and Connolly potentially garnering the same level of interest as we provided to the likes of Steele, Roberton, Membrey, Higgins and the like in our less successful years.

If we are in fact a good club, sometimes the price of success is that players on the outside of the best 22 seek out greener pastures. The longer these players spend outside our senior side, the more time they have to consider whether their future lies here or if they'd get more opportunities at poorer clubs. I don't know if other clubs will be looking at these players or not, but while I'd like to hold onto them, I strongly believe all of them would have played more than the combined 2 games and a handful of unactived sub selections this season at other clubs.

Actually this was the write up, so my memory was correct. Did well in a big final:

View attachment 1386670
Fair enough

Maybe he got some accolades due to being young and getting thrown in the deep end which is fair enough.

I remember watching his first game and thought there was a bit there but not a lot since then has stood out to me

I'd take him for cheap but he signed a long term deal with the Lions so they don't have any reason to off load him for chips

I'm not sure he'd be best 22 so IMO not really worth giving up something decent for

I agree, I don't what DeGoey as a mate or to marry my daughter, would love him in our 22, the guy is an amazing player.

We had the chance to land Dusty Martin but apparently he was a bad boy and the poison dwarf vetoed it.

If supporters knew what some of our players have done over the years, they wouldn't be so against DeGoey

Are you suggesting that De-Goey is too stupid to be sneaky like our players ?

There could be a lot of other stuff De-Goey has done over the years we don't know either.

Are you suggesting that De-Goey is too stupid to be sneaky like our players ?

There could be a lot of other stuff De-Goey has done over the years we don't know either.

Suggesting nothing, just that the pejorative moral relativism on here is interesting.

I'm not sure whether to be worried, thrilled or a mix of both that we're reaching a point where our discussion should turn from contemplating which scraps to pick off the successful sides to trying to fend off the vultures from our fringe players. I could see the likes of Byrnes, Bytel, Highmore, Sharman and Connolly potentially garnering the same level of interest as we provided to the likes of Steele, Roberton, Membrey, Higgins and the like in our less successful years.

If we are in fact a good club, sometimes the price of success is that players on the outside of the best 22 seek out greener pastures. The longer these players spend outside our senior side, the more time they have to consider whether their future lies here or if they'd get more opportunities at poorer clubs. I don't know if other clubs will be looking at these players or not, but while I'd like to hold onto them, I strongly believe all of them would have played more than the combined 2 games and a handful of unactived sub selections this season at other clubs.

Byrnes played 16 last year and 4 so far this year. He's been pretty lack lustre actually, and it seems he used his time in the VFL to make a statement.
Bytel played 13 last year. Pretty sure he'd have been selected this year if he'd been available. ( Played 1 VFL game i think ).

Connolly has had a taste, but i'm not sure that a "competent young HBF " is something that other clubs are going to headhunt. ( He may well end up more than that, but its what he's displayed so far ).

With Sharman and Highmore, i tend to think that mature age players are a bit more appreciative as to where they are and where they were and how they got here. Neither are more than an injury out of the team.

Suggesting nothing, just that the pejorative moral relativism on here is interesting.

We don't know what any of our players have done wrong, which may mean that they did nothing wrong , unless you know otherwise.
We know that's not the case with DeGoey.

Isn't that the whole idea of having good depth though? If you get injuries you've got cover, but if you don't you've got decent players who arent getting a game.
If you lose players who are looking for an opportunity that's the way it goes. Hopefully we'll be able to get something for them if they go. Best case scenario is they are happy to bide their time and wait their turn.

Nah, I'd feel exactly the same. Considering what some of the people around the club at the time were accused of doing in relation to Rod Owen, I don't think I would feel more conflicted than that makes me feel, in a sense of that kind of damage being done to a young man by people appointed to represent our football club.

You avatar is a perfect point and example.

A young player with problems with gambling and alcohol. Some disturbing incidents while drunk in India, with terribly mysogny towards young women.

He learned, he pulled himself together, he tempered his drinking, he was remorseful and grew up becoming one of our all time best no.3 batsmen and great test skipper and two time WC winning captain.

A prefect example of a young man waking up to himself. Dusty Martin is the same in a football environment.

We don't know what any of our players have done wrong, which may mean that they did nothing wrong , unless you know otherwise.
We know that's not the case with DeGoey.

Yes, you keep believing that. Incredible. One, two, not quite three strikes lulz. FMD no wonder we have won one flag in a million years.

Oh don't want a player because he has done one or two naughty things. You support Milne?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yes, you keep believing that. Incredible. One, two, not quite three strikes lulz. FMD no wonder we have won one flag in a million years.

Oh don't want a player because he has done one or two naughty things. You support Milne?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

No wonder we have never won a flag?
Milne was a Saints player...... a long time ago now.

Like I said, either DeGoey is of worse character than our players, or he's too stupid to hid what he's doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's not get carried away here. The man has two B&Fs. I'm happy to concede he has not been at the levels we would like, but he's not a weak link and hasn't been since probably 2014.
I'll accept my phrasing could have been better thought out. I was referring to Ross' form during the last two or three years that has had frustrated and disappointed many Saints fans and seen players like Steele and Crouch motor past him in terms of supporters' affections.

I've said repeatedly that he would be better in the Andrew Thompson role rather than the main man, and so it's proven but the biggest change is that he's improved his disposal and become a far more effective player - contrary to what you said, imo his disposal before this year was so frequently counter-productive that he literally was a weak link in many St Kilda scoring chains.

Id take degoey for sure, it's the type of gamble that would elevate us to another level, it would be insane how our midfield/forward line would look when he rotates through either.

My caveat isn't he's a shit bloke, it is if he can fall in line with the leadership group. I don't know what he is currently like so this could be pointless but he comes across as a bit of an ego. If he starts challenging the group because he's a name up in lights kind of person when we have the under the radar type of players then I'd have concerns.

If that is under control then sign me up for a deep run, Gresh and DeGoey together 🤤

Id take degoey for sure, it's the type of gamble that would elevate us to another level, it would be insane how our midfield/forward line would look when he rotates through either.

My caveat isn't he's a shit bloke, it is if he can fall in line with the leadership group. I don't know what he is currently like so this could be pointless but he comes across as a bit of an ego. If he starts challenging the group because he's a name up in lights kind of person when we have the under the radar type of players then I'd have concerns.

If that is under control then sign me up for a deep run, Gresh and DeGoey together 🤤
One of the best ideas for a while - Gresh and De Goey becoming best mates. I'm sure De Goey would make a great mentor for Gresh.

Last edited:
Posted in the wrong thread coz I dum

A scroll through the premiership teams of the last 50 years will show the majority will have at least one “shit human” in them. Melbourne probably the exception last year, although they certainly win ugliest team of all time.

Point is do you want to win, or do you want to be “nice”? It’s a meme, but it’s seemingly true.
Some of the all timers are shit humans ffs, Hodge, half the Pies team, Wet Toast, scum the lot of em

You avatar is a perfect point and example.

A young player with problems with gambling and alcohol. Some disturbing incidents while drunk in India, with terribly mysogny towards young women.

He learned, he pulled himself together, he tempered his drinking, he was remorseful and grew up becoming one of our all time best no.3 batsmen and great test skipper and two time WC winning captain.

A prefect example of a young man waking up to himself. Dusty Martin is the same in a football environment.

I certainly believe in redemption and would sincerely hope De Goey is getting better as a person, as I hope we all are. Dusty and Punter are success stories in that regard. But a lot of the discussion about eradicating violence against women has centred around messaging, and going and getting De Goey sends a certain message.

In the end, nothing has changed from my viewpoint: I would find barracking for him difficult.

BTW, my moniker and avatar are like this to due a physical resemblance.

I certainly believe in redemption and would sincerely hope De Goey is getting better as a person, as I hope we all are. Dusty and Punter are success stories in that regard. But a lot of the discussion about eradicating violence against women has centred around messaging, and going and getting De Goey sends a certain message.

In the end, nothing has changed from my viewpoint: I would find barracking for him difficult.

BTW, my moniker and avatar are like this to due a physical resemblance.
I guess if it's too difficult to barrack for him we could all just shut up when he collects his premiership medal and cheer like fn crazy when the rest of our team get theirs. That I know I could do. I hope we're looking at him.

If we could get a gun kpd that would make us a better team imo. I think we should consider trading a 3rd tall with currency as we have an excess. Wilkie, Battle, Coffield, Lienert and Highmore.

Proviso: Have to see how we go the rest of the year and how Joyce and Battle go thru the season. If Battle can build into that Steven May type defender or Joyce comes on a lot this year we may be looking good. Adams looking promising but you'd think he would be a couple of seasons off being able to hold down kpd in the 1sts.
With respect:
Wilkie, NO!
Battle, NO!
Coffield, NO
Lienert, LOL
Highmore NO

Several posters have the idea that another KPD means we have to drop or lose a current player but l think that's just pigeon holing based on height alone.

Jimmy is at the back end of his career and injury prone.
Lienert is a depth 1 year rolling contract.
Highmore good but developing.
Leo still developing.
Joyce is not gonna be the man.

The rest you wouldn't even think about.

We have a very good group of defenders now and need only replace Gears with a big FB type and don't touch for a few years. Why weaken a strength?

Someone find me/us a gettable gun lockdown fullback.

Like dougal... but a defender.

Like paton... but taller.

Like joyce... but better.

Failing that, a pair of stilts for wilkie to wear?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe a competent older KPD who can be a "break glass" in case Howard goes down, but can also mentor Joyce and try to get him to step-up? Joyce has potential to improve, but maybe needs an old-stager there to get him over the hump.

He’s a recidivist. No thanks. He’s probably behaving till he gets a big fat contract, but I don’t want it to be us that gives it to him, I don’t trust him.
If you were my family and i was De GOEY I'd certainly hate you.....the word recidivist is often used as an expression of law, a judicial expression, at its best maybe a psycho 'anal'ytic term which in my opinion is almost tantemount to saying a leopard never changes his spots....once a crim always a crim etc etc........

Unfortunately the intuitive side of me exclaims you are right! I hope someone loves him because he has the talent...but SAINTS ....we are not the club that needs that kind of tightrope right now or ever.......maybe after 3 cups...we could put our arms around the world...but De GOEY hmmmm its a big Nooooey from me!

Diehard Saint i get the impression you are right on the money! Believe me I hate being so judgemental.....it goes completely against the grain.........but instinct/intuition you just have to listen to it sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back