Autopsy Round 6, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives.

BBW
Culley
Three quarters of football.
For the most part the effort.
Green shoots appearing with some of the kids.

Negatives.

Another game whereby we have a total fade out in one quarter.
Umpiring.

This one I am not quite sure where to put it, so here is a s good a spot as any.

Nisbett you and the Club have had a whole year to come up with an ANZAC Day Jumper....... and what did we have ...... nothing.

Disrespectful, unprofessional and sub standard.

Not a good look from the Club, what can I say very disappointing but sadly not surprising.
Do we really need a different jumper for every round?

We may not have used the same picks on the same players as other teams though
true but it is what it is.

If TK keeps playing well for the rest of his career as an Eagle and is part of our next finals push then I reckon its been a good trade despite early rumblings.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Positive - Culley and we didn't let them blow us out once it got to 40. Last year that would've been an 70/80 pointer

Negative - Shuey...give it up, mate
That kick out of D50 straight to two pa players was just 🤦 I've loved Shuey as a player for a long time. He probs should start playing within his limits for the benefit of the team

Do we really need a different jumper for every round?

No we don't.

However I would have thought it something worthy to do in ANZAC Round, obviously you disagree.

One of the first rounders from Kelly trade was traded to GWS as part of Cameron deal

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So no it didn't get Cameron. It was some steak knives used in the deal that were then thrown in the GWS atic to collect dust. Geelong would have got him with or without our trade.

So again, what would WCE have done with those picks they gave up? They sure as shit weren't getting Cameron with them.

Positives: Williams - great around the ball and dropped back defensively to help.
Culley had his best game, showed his versatility.
Fought the game out again, good to see us not get absolutely hammered like we would have last year once we're down.
Didn't try the childish shit Cockburn did to Lobb with Rioli.
Bazzo, probably the greatest player of our time in the making.

Negatives: Gaff just doesn't cut it anymore with the ball in hand. Think Simmo has moved him into the middle because it's the place he's the least of a liability with his kicking.
2nd quarter coma again.

Last edited:
How good was the double thumbs up from Culley after the goal was called all clear.

Love seeing little things like that. Even though we’re not winning just being competetive and playing with a nothing to lose attitude and watching the new kids develop is enjoyable enough for me right now.

The only thing pissing me off are the mountains of injuries.

+ Culley. FWD role suits him. It's not a marking fwd role persay, it's a bit of everything. Pressure, odd grab and putting himself in good spots to crumb.

+ BBW. BOG for me. I like it when you can tell he's an angry campaigner. Still a few really dumb moments, but that's expected of any ruckman, let alone one as inexperienced.

+ Got to see what some more of the depth on the list looks like. Not amazing, as you'd expect.

+ "Fought" it out (excluding the 2nd) when we easily could've let the floodgates open. Again.

+ Painful and frustrating as it is watching the players constantly call for it, play on into trouble or take a risky kick and turn it straight over trying to move the ball quickly..... it still beats chipping around the backline. I think.

- Depends on how deep we cut this year, but I'd swing the axe on West, Clark, Foley, Trew, Petrucelle and Rotham for starters. Ditto XON. Just not AFL standard. It's more and more evident.

- Both finished with a couple goals each, but watching us kick to Darling and Allen over and over again with an opponent right next to them to spoil the ball was just painful. Wasted so many F50 entry's when they haven't got separation on their opponent.

- Petrucelle got schooled on how to be an opportunist forward by a slow inside midfielder playing his 9th game.

- Gaff was Gaff. Nothing new. We know the quality of his touches. Still a very frustrating player to watch.

- Shuey super "unlucky" with yet another injury. Lasted 2 quarters. 44 players out there but only he got injured (Marshall excluded) in the most unfortunate of circumstances. Impact ankle injury follows his hamstring injury he's just returned from.

That's our captain missing again for approx 50% of the season so far to this point, if my maths is correct? 2 half games, 2 whole games, 2 missed.

BBBW with 21 disposals and a personal best of 13 clearances. Also, had the most contested possessions (16) for us. Hopefully, he can start delivering such performances consistently now.
If Bailey could get 21 touches, 16 contested possessions and 13 clearances every week he would be one of the best rucks in the comp.

At this stage of his career I don’t think we can expect him to play to this level every week, he’ll still have ups and downs.

What is obvious to me though is that the gaps between good games like this are becoming shorter, and his poorer games I don’t think are as bad anymore.

Even when he’s not on, he is managing to at least break even in the ruck - I can’t recall any oppo ruckman this year having a particularly dominant or game breaking performance against him.

Showing promising growth this season and standing up for us when we need him, all the while battling through knee and hamstring niggles. Good stuff Baz

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Precisely. Based on all available evidence, we wouldn't have taken them and would have ended up with a handful of Xon Foley Ainsworth like players.

That's a fair old assumption.

For all we know we could've packaged those picks, moved down the order, got Rivers, got Chad Warner.... literally we have no idea.

OR.... Yes, O'Brien could've absolutely cooked them.

The debate is we overpaid for Kelly. More than we needed too, considering we held all the cards. The most expensive trade of all time at that point, from memory?

That's a fair old assumption.

For all we know we could've packaged those picks, moved down the order, got Rivers, got Chad Warner.... literally we have no idea.

OR.... Yes, O'Brien could've absolutely cooked them.

The debate is we overpaid for Kelly. More than we needed too, considering we held all the cards. The most expensive trade of all time at that point, from memory?
Only by clowns that think all f1 are equivalent.

Those picks wouldn’t even get you pick 6 realistically.

So hang on a minute: I was told, on mass, that Shueys ankle situation was just an "accident", only for him to be sent back out there, judged fit to play, and then subbed out of the game on the basis of "bad luck"?

Get. The. F&ck. Outta. Here
How do you know he wasn't on managed minutes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 6, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back